• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 175: Historic Edition 9

Cardinal

Cyburbian
DetroitPlanner said:
Madison Wisconsin
Ouch! Not even close! No, I am guessing this is a river town and maybe a county seat. How about Quincy, IL?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'll go along with Cardinal - Quincy, IL - sounds goods

boiker

Cyburbian
Having drove through three weeks ago, Quincy, IL sounds like a good choice.

biscuit

Cyburbian
And from wayyyyy out in left field comes......
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania?

Tom R

Cyburbian
gtc

The first view is looking south at a river. Cincinnatti?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Please give us at least a hint - which river is this city on ?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Having just now noticed the print on the first photo which reads, "Looking south," I formally withdraw my previous guess of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. As for a new guess.... well, I honestly have no freakin' clue.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
I've never been there, I noticed the difference between from my first posting that you had blocked out Pierre, I knew this was a Capitol City as the roads converged on what appears to be an elegant public buildning, and that some of the buildings that surround them appear to be University or Public Servie buildings.

My first choice of Madison was based upon unfortunate trips there (to comfort a friend's wife while he laid in the university hospital dying, the weekend prior to the AICP exam, so I did not see much of the town, but I did read the ICMA green book cover-to-cover, but I'm digresssing and running on so I will now stop). And I did not see much of the town, but noticed the capitol, the hills and the lake.