• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Forum games 🎲 Guess the City 20/07/2021 - Canada Edition

The Terminator

Cyburbian
mbguesscitywhat.jpg

Here is a REAL easy one because:

A. I gave away the country in the thread title

B. I blocked out map locations on MS Paint

C. HINT: This city was originally home to the band Propagandhi

guess away!!!!!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The band clue is a dead giveaway, so I will refrain from posting a guess. I like how all the important features are still included. Things like the hospital...and Tim Hortons. :rofl:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The last clue gave it away.

I am curious regarding the odd river alignment that no longer connects into the Assiniboine River. It looks like several of the meanders around the City were taken out. Do you know what happened there?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tim Hortons.
Yeah, that narrows it down. Maybe another clue, like some of the major street names being King, Queen, George, and Albert. Oh yeah, a Swiss Chalet too.

Without looking at the band name, I'm stumped. It's flat, but it doesn't look like it's in the Prairies -- doesn't look like there's the underling DLS grid. For Quebec, I'd expect more forest land, and the subdivision pattern doesn't look like some hybrid of New England and Louisiana. The Maritimes also have more forest land.

I'd say somewhere in southern Ontario south of Georgian Bay, but that oxbow lake doesn't look like anything I recognize. Oxbow lakes are rare in the northeast US, so I don't expect to see them north of the border, even in the flatlands of southern Ontario. Sm, maybe Manitoba? I ruled it out at first, given the expressways, but let's take a look ...

Got it! Portage la Prairie.