• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Okay, this one's a little obscure - but I figure if someone can post Tallinn, I can do this place.

(Moderator note: Photo directly added to post by NHPlanner)

Last edited by a moderator:

BKM

Cyburbian
Sudbury, Ontario?

If not that, I would guess Butte, Montana or El Paso

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Holy SH*T!

You got it on the first guess - it is indeed Sudbury, Ontario.

Site of my upcoming nuptials.

BKM's prize:

A case of northern red maple - yum!

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I assumed Ontario. And the only city in Ontario "notorious" for a smelter stack is Sudbury. Never been there (I like visiting obscure places, but I've only been in the Lake Erie crescent in Ontario).

Is it true that there is a large landscape "dead zone" around the nickel smelter? :(

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Holy SH*T!

You got it on the first guess - it is indeed Sudbury, Ontario.

Site of my upcoming nuptials.

BKM's prize:

A case of northern red maple - yum!
Chalk up another similarity :) ....an image from the site of my nuptuals in June...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
BKM said:

Is it true that there is a large landscape "dead zone" around the nickel smelter? :(
There used to be, but Sudbury has really made an effort to re-green itself. There's now talk of preserving some of the fast-disappearing "dead zone". The stack you see in the pic is largely responsible for the recovery - they built it so high the pollution now lands a couple of hundred kilometres downwind...

BKM

Cyburbian
There used to be, but Sudbury has really made an effort to re-green itself. There's now talk of preserving some of the fast-disappearing "dead zone".
Historic Preservation run amuck! :)

donk

Cyburbian
they built it so high the pollution now lands a couple of hundred kilometres downwind...
I can attest to that. During the last month we have had pollution attributted to Ontario and the New England States.

Status
Not open for further replies.