• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 35

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Absolutely no idea, but is that a chinese or japanese style garden on the river bank?

Hem. BTW, I would now like to apologise to all Chinese and Japanese people (including those who've never seen the respective countries but are counted as such for survey/ethnic purposes...) for not being able to recognise the difference in acrhitecture (from a small part of a photo...). Sorry :D

it's either Aurora or Joilet, IL. I recognize that river. The spanish sign also gives it away somewhat. Both of those towns have significant Mexican stretches.

SouthSideSlayer

Cyburbian
goonsta said:
it's either Aurora or Joilet, IL. I recognize that river. The spanish sign also gives it away somewhat. Both of those towns have significant Mexican stretches.
It's indeed Aurora, IL. Well, you're from Chicago...

For those that don't know:

Chicago's largest suburb, Aurora is located 36 miles west of the city. It is one of the fastest-growing cities in the Midwest, and although its recent growth makes it look new, it was a well-established city long before the Chicago area spread west to reach it. The downtown, situated on a small island in the Fox River, is full of buildings from the 1920's.

City population: 143,000

Fox Island Place

When it was built (1928) it was the tallest building in Illinois outside Chicago (243ft).