• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Guess the City 39

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yep!

I made it an easy one - hoping to kick-start the board today. Not alot of activity. Must be those damned easterners and canucks with their "holiday" today.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Damn gov't workers! WHo the hell has off for Columbus Day anymore??

Thanksgiving in Canada is an acceptable holiday though I suppose.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I can remember getting off for Robert E. Lee's birthday and Confederate Memorial Day, but those were the bad ole days.

Radio Limbo

Continuing the OT drift with the bad ole days. . .

Bad, but not so old. As of four years ago, when I was still working for the Texas Dept. of Health, we had holidays for MLK Day and Confederate Heroes Day in the same week. I thought the latter was strategically placed in reaction to the former, but apparently it coincided with Robert E. Lee's birthday.

One year, MLK and Confederate Heroes were observed on the same day. I had a boss who said he was going to celebrate Confederate Heroes Day while I celebrated MLK Day. But of course, he was just a believer in States' Rights [wink, wink]. This was the same guy who claimed that he re-enlisted during Vietnam to go back, because it was so much fun.

Ever wonder where stereotypes of state employees (and Texans, for that matter) get started?

Jeff

Cyburbian
When I worked for the county we got off for Primary Election Day, I always thought that was kinda pushing it.