• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 50

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Doesn't look any city in Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. I'd scratch Africa period ... cities outsize of ZA and Zim tend to have dated skylines with some very goofy 1970s-era structures and few high-rise apartment buildings.

Has a South American look, with the scattered high-rise apartment buildings, the plaza and the Coca-Cola billboard. Landscape is flat, though, which makes things very interesting. I'll say it's a smaller city in South America ... oh, maybe along the Atlantic coast ... Recife, Brazil?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If it didn't look so obviously South American, I'd say Tehran. Beautiful setting, and Latin-style sprawl.

Still, I'll guess another South American city. La Paz.

BKM

Cyburbian
Looks South American.

Caracas, Venezuela?

Viva El Jefe Chavez! Death to the Oil Executives! Death to the Imperialists! Glory to the Great Leader and Fidel!

Or, maybe Bogota.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Looks latin... but I don't think it can be european (hence not italian or spanish).

I think I'll go for Quito, Ecuador.

For the ones saying Santiago....there are two things that are a characteristic of Santiago: 1.- SMOG! 2.- the filthy river it has!

BKM

Cyburbian
BOGOTA!

I'm definitely thinking Bogota. My top secret source (a Mormon co-worker who missioned in Venezuela) says there are no snow-clad mountains near Caracas. So, it has to be Bogota!

BKM

Cyburbian
OK. Then, given that they are neighbors, how about San Jose, Costa Rica?

It does look a little more prosperous than I imagine San Salvador to be, anyway.

You realize that this game is addicting and interfering with my work :)

The Irish One

It's not a given that they're neighboreenos. I said I wouldn't give any clues. I want to, I just have to find a good clue, to make you suffer, like I have for so long.

BKM

Cyburbian
Panama City

All right. How about Panama City?

It looks way too prosperous to be Managua or Tegucigalpa.

If not Panama City, then the latter would be my choices. If not, I concede defeat. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Ummmmm... Buenos Aires? Although, BA probably is bigger than this... and uh... I can't see the ocean in your photos. But I'll hazard a guess anyway.