• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 51: 1775

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
This one might be easy. Published in 1875, it features an American city as it was in 1775:

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Mike DeVuono said:
That's Philly....
Winner!

Your prize is a bit of Philly Steak Sub history from http://www.thatsmyhome.com/lunchbox/philly.htm

"The Philly Steak Sub was originated by Pat Olivieri in 1930 at Pat's "King of Steaks" in South Philadelphia.

It helps to get the beef so thin if it is partially frozen, use a sharp knife. You can also ask your butcher to do this for you on the slicer.

For the baguette, if you can, get it at a bakery.

Some people like green peppers so if you do, add them with the onions. This recipe here, is as close as I can come to the original Philly Steak Sub and the original didn't have green peppers, so I included them in this section."

And from a restuarant in California:

Jeff

Cyburbian
Well...I actually got around to reading this today and let me fill you in on a little history.

Pat is not the originator of the steak sandwich, he just thinks he is.

Pat's Steaks is the absolute worst place in Philly to get a steak. They are a tourist attraction, nothing more.

A little rule of thumb to live by...if it's called a "Philly Steak Sandwich" or "Philly Cheesesteak" or anything else with the adjective Philly before it, stay away. Because it's gonna suck.

And as for Palm Desert, CA, let's just say they have no business even attempting to make steaks out there. When I lived in 29 Palms, CA (not too far from Palm Desert) I ordered one, and let's just say it was far from the real thing.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
Pat is not the originator of the steak sandwich, he just thinks he is.

Pat's Steaks is the absolute worst place in Philly to get a steak. They are a tourist attraction, nothing more.

A little rule of thumb to live by...if it's called a "Philly Steak Sandwich" or "Philly Cheesesteak" or anything else with the adjective Philly before it, stay away. Because it's gonna suck.
Beauty... How true about Pat's!

And when I was in Joplin, MO, they had a place that had Philly *Style* Steaks... So I walked in thinking they were bunk, just like anywhere else that boasts Philly cheesesteaks, and said, "I want two steaks with sauce and onions..." Without turning around the cook says, "What part of Philly are you from?"

Turns out he's a native, and it really wasn't a bad steak. But when he handed them to me, in a foil wrap (which is so important), he said, "best I can do without Amoroso rolls."

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
I didn't mention the Amoroso's rolls because I figured that would just go way over everyone's head. But thay really are the secret to a great steak....
Probably did... But I knew YOU would know. And having work in a steak shop in Olney, I knew, too. I just found it interesting that a) the way I ordered tipped the guy off, and b) he mentioned the rolls as kind of an apology.

But... it was still a decent steak. With Amoroso rolls you can eat it right off the grill, anything else... foil wrap it so the roll gets nice and soft. (Even in Philly I had mine wrapped to go)