• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 58

BKM

Cyburbian
I was scanning through some files on my hard drive when I came across these beauties:

294faded_glory_2-med.jpg

294faded_glory_1-med.jpg

BKM

Cyburbian
Lisbon tilework

Pretty spectacular stuff.

My understanding is that the azuelars (sp???) originated in Brazil, and Portuguese merchants and adventurers who came back to the old country brought them back too.

I want to visit Portugal badly. (Along with many places).

The Irish One

I swear when I own a house I will tile parts of it with potugese tile. But first I'll visit and find the craftiest producer and then ship them.

If you like eating pork, I hear Portugal is quite the master of pork meals as well as good wine.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Based on the tile, I was going to say Lisbon as well (or maybe somewhere in Spain adjacent to Portugal). I have a few tiles I brought home the last time I was there, but I'm sure it's big bucks to try to redo your house in it. If I ever have the time/money, I would like to tile some of the rooms in my future dream home. I like the way the Spanish/Portuguese tile the bottom three feet of most of the walls in the house.... oooo and the staircases. I stayed at a little place in Tarifa on a windsurfing expedition that was just amazing. :)

The Irish One

but I'm sure it's big bucks to try to redo your house in it
sooooo true, I'm sure you could get an existing tile export/import company to cut some cost. It would be so worth it. good luck with that dream house, I know I'll need it.

BKM

Cyburbian
Hey, Skeleton. Do you have any photos of the old Germanic architecture in Valdivia? Or Valparaiso?

I tried to find photos of Valparaiso on the net, but the pickings were pretty thin.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
BKM... About Valdivia... I could just go out and shoot some for you, if you want... But I'll do that when I get back from my vacations, and I'll put them in the Gallery :D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Irish one said:
lisbon, portugal
Coan de Agua Guinness and Bailey say "that looks familiar ..."

(BTW, Guinness has a thing for EG's dog, Gunner. Not that there's anything wrong with that ... maybe it's just accepted more in Portugal.)

BKM said:
I tried to find photos of Valparaiso on the net, but the pickings were pretty thin.
Hopefully, we're talking about Valparaiso, Chile, and not Valparaiso University in Indiana. (shivers)

BKM

Cyburbian
Hey Dan! My brother is a proud alum of Valpo (shudder). :)

Its actually not a bad little school.

Valdivia-that would be cool. Always interested in seeing what other places look like (without actually being frugal enough to save for a trip :( )