• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 60: Ghost Town Edition 4

Cardinal

Cyburbian
At its peak, this crossroads town had only a couple hundred residents. Interstate 70 bypassed it to the north, and nearly everyone is gone. A couple dozen miles of the old highway still exist, complete with the old mile markers. Along the way, you come to the crumbling ruins of a town that died in the 1960's.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM, this one is in the mountain time zone. Time may be irrelevent to this land, though, where the tracks and bones of dinosaurs are found nearby. Any guesses?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Cisco Utah?

Based on the terrain it doesn't look like I-70 in Colorado... (at least not that parts that would would have ghost towns)... so I'm guessing it would be in Utah.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Cisco Utah?
Correct! The drive from Cisco south on UT-128 is one of the most spectacular stretches of road that I know. After several miles you enter the Colorado River canyon and follow the river for many more miles through its deep, red-walled canyon to Moab.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Finally... a game I'm good at! Why don't they have ghost town questions of Jeopardy???

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
OK: You guys have forced me into another addiction:

Typical Swiss obsessive-precision. This is a HOBBY page with 174 towns and over 1300 photographs.www.ghosttowngallery.com
So much for my thoughts of posting Animas Forks in the next Ghost Town Thread. ;)

If you do go hunting for Animas forks, you do not need a four-wheel drive. High clearance and good driving skills are enough. The whole region around there is dotted with ghost towns from the mining boom in Colorado.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
What's amazing is how some of these places fell so far, so fast. One Nevada town in their list (I can't remember which one) had 30,000 people in 1907-and nothing is left. That's incredible.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
What's amazing is how some of these places fell so far, so fast. One Nevada town in their list (I can't remember which one) had 30,000 people in 1907-and nothing is left. That's incredible.
It is similarly amazing how fast some of these places grew. Within a few years of founding they might have populations of 10,000 people or more. That may not seem like much, but remember that we are usually talking about the frontier. It was 1840 when the first wagon train left for California, and it was a decade before more than one train passed over the route every year.