• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Okay, here is a neat city. I have four images and all these places are within a two-mile radius of each other. Good luck with your guesses!

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
I would guess Saint Louis?

Somewhere in the industrial midwest

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Looks too desolate to be Chicago .... even in the worst neighborhoods, there's a lot of traffic.

I could play it safe, and name a much larger city. Instead, I'll say Flint, Michigan.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Detroit?

Detroit? Photo 4 is at 5680 W. Vernor Hwy. Detroit. - Gotta love those search engines. I was thinking Austin for a second - until picture 4.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Dan said:
Looks too desolate to be Chicago .... even in the worst neighborhoods, there's a lot of traffic.

I could play it safe, and name a much larger city. Instead, I'll say Flint, Michigan.
Desolate?! What if those pics were taken first thing in the morning? Plus, look at all the cars parked on the street. I know, you didn't have a chance to see pic #4.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Blue license plates

So I'm pretty sure it' s in Michigan and a few year old pic...

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
AMEN!

Okay, you got it El Guapo! Congrats! I didn't want the fun to end! Anyway, for a bonus, can you tell me what section of Detroit those pics were taken? Certainly they weren't in the downtown core - Comerica Park, Ford Field, and the Fox Theater would be a dead give-away. But in relation to the CBD, where were those pics taken?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mexican Town

Additionally I can provide a Lat and Lon or a Fire Control Solution.

Last edited:

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Weights?

What's a kiloton? You lost me... if you stick to a distance, then I can help you. But weights? Hmmm... ?!

el Guapo

Capitalist
A Colloquial Saying

It is either a distance or area measurement for the distance or area a 10 Killoton nuke would destroy. In the Army in Europe in the early 60's a commander would tell his troops not to get within 10killotons of a particular land feature. That distance being 2.5 miles. Just a darker way of saying I'm close.

Note to the Federal Authorities. I was in no way joking about harming anyone. I have no explosive devices. My name is Brian Turk. You may strip search me by appointment only.;)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Ah! Now I understand. Yes, you are within 2.5 miles. But, if you can, be a little more specific.

About nukes and Detroit - keep in mind that we are close, very close to Ontario, and the international crossing via the Ambassador Bridge has now become very important. Don't joke about that stuff! I was driving under the bridge, on Jefferson by an old deserted industrial district, a couple of months ago and it looks like they hired a private Rent-A-Cop security firm to patrol the area... white pick-up truck with a yellow flashy-signal on top of the cab. I was driving real slow, and the guy gave me a good, close look. Serious stuff, no doubt.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Re: AMEN!

Beaner said:
Okay, you got it El Guapo! Congrats! I didn't want the fun to end! Anyway, for a bonus, can you tell me what section of Detroit those pics were taken? Certainly they weren't in the downtown core - Comerica Park, Ford Field, and the Fox Theater would be a dead give-away. But in relation to the CBD, where were those pics taken?
Do I get some kind of credit for this, Beaner - W. Vernor Highway. The Luna's Bakery & Grocery awning is a big 'ol clue...guess that's cheating.

Last edited:

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Re: Blue license plates

bturk said:
So I'm pretty sure it' s in Michigan and a few year old pic...
Those pics are less than a month old. Yes, we still have blue plates... the orange and blue ones with the Mackinac Bridge are not exactly on every car. (Myself, I think the orange ones are quite ugly.)

El Feo

Cyburbian
Beaner said:
Yes! You got it! You must be from the area, or spent some time there.
Used to have LOTS of friends in the area - despite how many folks dump on it, I actually really like Detroit. One fond memory involves getting stopped with friends on the way back to MI over the Ambassador Bridge. The INS folks weren't in a joking mood, and didn't appreciate the driver's smart-assed comment about "smuggling drugs." He lost his upholstery and door panels that night...

Status
Not open for further replies.