• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 70

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
This one's in the western part of the country... a city I enjoyed very much when I last visited.

All photos unretouched - no Photoshop used. :) Any guesses?

nerudite

Cyburbian
It reminds me a lot of Port Townsend, but I don't recognize some of the buildings (like the last picture).

BKM

Cyburbian
I'll concur with Eureka. I think its Samoa Island in the background of the one picture.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't know guys... the water looks pretty glassy to me. It screams Puget Sound.

biscuit

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I don't know guys... the water looks pretty glassy to me. It screams Puget Sound.
Good point. The sea looks calm for Northern Cali. But the working harbor, semi-run down waterfront and victorian architecture looks kinda familiar - like Eureka. Although it has been almost 10 years since I was last there.

BKM

Cyburbian
The last picture is the famous Carson House, the home of a big lumber baron.

Eureka-milled redwood largely built San Francisco.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Aha! It is Port Townsend! The last building (which I've never seen before) is the Ann Starrett Mansion. Looks beautiful!

I used to take the ferry from Whidbey Island (about 45 minutes to an hour) about once a month... so I am pretty familiar with the waterfront area. Port Townsend is probably my favorite town in Washington. I have looked into buying property in the area several times. It's just an amazing place!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Yep, Nerudite got it first! (Sorry for the delay - I took the day off and didn't get online!) I think the Starrett Mansion was probably the dead giveaway.

I took a historic house tour in Port Townsend 10-15 years ago. The architecture and the views of the Puget Sound were stunning.

I know someone who was a planner there for a couple of years. Looks like a great place to live and work.