• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 84: Championship Edition

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hop to it, crew. You've now got your work cut out for you.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Hmmm... this one is tough. Two wild guesses: Schenectady, NY, or Dayton, OH. I'm probaly way off, but what the heck, eh?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Not Peoria; their skyline is more modern. Not Rochester, Minnesota. Definitely not Buffalo.

Here's a hint ... it's in North America.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
BKM said:
Somewhere in the Quad Cities (Moline/Rock Island/Davenport)
It't not one of the Quads. Not even Bittendorf.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
There's quite a bit of topography in the distant background. I doubt its midwest. Im thinking lower appalachia....

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
There's quite a bit of topography in the distant background. I doubt its midwest. Im thinking lower appalachia....
I was thinking that it looks like a piedmont topography. But most of the "known" cities in that region are significantly larger than this one appears to be.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Funnything is, its vaguely familiar, only I just can't place it. Before that third clue I would have guessed Thunder Bay or Sault Ste. Marie, but I think now it has to be east. How about St. John's?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome to downtown Utica, NY...

You could see this clock in the photo, from the gold dome of the Utica bank building.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Brilliant deduction ... Nerudite got it! A city hardly anyone sees - Utica, New York.

Her prize ... a cold six-pack of Utica Club beer!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:
Welcome to downtown Utica, NY...

You could see this clock in the photo, from the gold dome of the Utica bank building.
Okay, you people are now officially scaring me. How much time did you spend on this nerudite?

nerudite

Cyburbian
A lunch hour... or a little less. It probably wouldn't take me so long, but our network was wayyyyyy slow today.