• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 86

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Here's another one. Hint: this city is known as the "Paris of the ____ " (no, I won't reveal which region it's located in, that would give it away). Have fun.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Paris of the Plains

Chicago ?

The skyline is definitely not Chicago.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Paris of the _____

Not Kansas City, KS...Not Saskatoon...Not Cincinnati...definitely not Chicago.

Look at the buildings in the foreground of the picture. These buildings are the seat of the city and county government and are located on an island in the middle of the river. This is why this city is known as the "Paris of the ____".

Here's an inscrutable hint: this city is the home town of actor Don Defore, who played Mr. Baxter on the '60's sitcom "Hazel." How's that for a dead giveaway hint?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
It's Cedar Rapids!! Chet wins!!

Oh man, Chet, I knew that Don Defore hint would give it away. Yes, Cedar Rapids is the Paris of the Midwest and it also happens to be my own beautiful home town. CR (as we locals call it) is probably the largest city in the US (2000 Census around 120,000) still using the Commission form of government. Cedar Rapids has been very proactive in planning and has some very nice riverfront development and a fairly thriving downtown (a large locally owned department store was still operating downtown well into the 80's, which made it easier for the City to adapt after the mall was built). Chet, next time you are in CR, be sure to stop by the Quaker Oats plant (world's largest cereal plant) for the company tour, and tell 'em DecaturHawk sent ya!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: It's Cedar Rapids!! Chet wins!!

DecaturHawk said:
I knew that Don Defore hint would give it away.
Yeah, I entered the name into the www.imdb.com search engine and *poof* there was his home town...

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Clever

Good strategy, Chet. I went to the imdb and learned that Frodo (aka Elijah Wood) was born in my hometown, too. Never met him, though.