• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 88

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mud Princess said:
No...Donk just did that one, I wouldn't try to trick you guys like that :)

Originally posted by Don
Is it from your recent vacation?
Yes. That should narrow it down for those of you who pay attention!

Another clue, then. This building is one of the more recent additions to the city, and has an interesting connection to the planning field...

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I know you went to Scotland on vacation. Well, it doesn't look like anything I saw in Glasgow in 1999, so I'll take a wild guess... Edinburgh?

Or maybe it's Glasgow after all?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mud Princess said:
I know you went to Scotland on vacation. Well, it doesn't look like anything I saw in Glasgow in 1999, so I'll take a wild guess... Edinburgh?

Or maybe it's Glasgow after all?
Nope, and nope.

Scotland was just the first half of the trip...

Time for a pint!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
BKM said:
York?

Newcastle-upon-Tyne?

or

Portsmouth?
No,

No,

No,

Hmmmm...time for another clue, perhaps? I'm running out of pictures - I was only there for an afternoon (and it rained for most of that time!)

This may give it away to the transit geeks out there...maybe.

jmf

Cyburbian
I assume you spent more than an afternoon in London so how about Birmingham?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jmf said:
I assume you spent more than an afternoon in London so how about Birmingham?
I didn't get to spend any time in Birmingham (why would anyone want to, anyway?), but I did skirt around it on the hell that is the M6!

Well, so far you've got the place surrounded at any rate...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mud Princess said:
Manchester? ("so much to answer for")
Yes!

And, as usual, here's your reward...a bit of Manchester's own:

BTW - the building in the second clue, that I said had a "planning" link? That's URBIS, which bills itself as "The Museum of the Modern City". Bit of over-hyped crap if you ask me - but a very interesting looking building. Once inside, you take a glass elevator up a 45 degree incline to the top, then work your way back down through the exhibits.

Donk - was your avatar change just a coincidence?

donk

Cyburbian
Just a coincidence.

Someone else mentioned the stone roses and I had to change my avatar from the dead milkmen anyways.