• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 93

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well, since I won the Albuquerque game (was it 75?) Here's my GTC :D

Hint: It's in Southern Chile ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Googling "john j sanchez" gets ya no help at all...

Jeff

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
try googling "dirty Sanchez" then...
ooohh the "Dirty Sanchez"

Second only to the "Brown Tie" and the "Bucking Bronco"

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
More Clues

I see that there's someone near... No, it's not Valdivia... I wouldn't make it THAT easy :D Santiago? No way... too much water, too much green and the mountains are too low. :)

More clues:
-The city has about 5,000 inhabitants (yes, we do call that a city :p)
-It's a port
-It was destroyed by the 1960 quake
-It was a fort in the spanish colony

One last pic:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Let's re-examine the clues, and hopefully get a good (really good) map or atlas (in which small chilean cities do appear)

I have given these clues:
-It's in southern Chile (yet people said Valparaiso and Santiago, which are in central Chile)
-The city has about 5,000 inhabitants(hence you need a good atlas, otherwise it won't appear)
-It's a port
-It was destroyed by the 1960 quake
-It was a fort in the spanish colony

One more clue:
-Cruise ships do get to this city (a few per year) and people can go down from the cruise ship and can get to Valdivia easily.

Now i've said too much though....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
giff57 said:
try googling "dirty Sanchez" then...
man I am ignorant.

at least one of the google hits gave the "definition" so i never had to open a page from work.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
close, but not it.. :D

My, I didn't think I had made it that easy... :p
Oh well... now it's just evident what city it is... now the first one to say it wins :)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I saw an excellent PBS travel show on Chile last week. The only places I can remember in the south were a place settled by Germans in the 1800s, Pueto Montt or Temaco (sp?).

Is it either? Chile looked like a fantastic country, by the way.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I saw an excellent PBS travel show on Chile last week. The only places I can remember in the south were a place settled by Germans in the 1800s, Pueto Montt or Temaco (sp?).
Forget the Germans and the Spanish, most of the country will soon be settled by giant sea-blobs.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
It's not Puerto Montt, nor Temuco.

Gee.. I thought it was almost settled a few posts back... But you guys went for bigger cities... (Puerto Montt and Temuco are both bigger than Valdivia) although I said it was a SMALL city of 5,000 inhabitants :p

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Yum. Beer! Why is the Chilean beer label in German, though?

Thanks for the prize. You won mine (GTC 75, Albuquerque), now I won yours. Who's next?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The slogan is in german, because the origin of the family that founded it is german. And Valdivia has many other stuff related to german, due to the influence from the colonization of these areas in the 1800's. It was a state controled colonization, and they sent people to germany to bring people to Chile (to Valdivia and nearby).

Of course Valdivia dates way back, at least the first foundation, in 1552, was just spanish.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Dos Equis is the same way. German Brewmeister established himself in Mexico and employed/exploited (depending on your political slant) the locals into making beer with him.

...why was I reading beer labels instead of hitting on chicks?...

Beer thirty-five... I know there's a bottle of Jack around here somewhere...