• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the Railroad #3

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm trying to make these a bit more difficult...

Intermodal freight?

A turntable.

A trainyard.

Two water tanks. Somewhere I have the plans for one of these.

They are better than these plans.

There are a lot of holes on this line.

The end of the line.

Going through town.

What's this?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Last photo engine had either a 5OO or SOO on it 8-|

Last edited:

Markitect

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Last photo engine had either a 5OO or SOO on it 8-|

Yep. Those diesel switchers once belonged to the Milwaukee Road (the name is still barely visible on the body of the engine, beneath all the soot), and were likely acquired by the Soo Line when the railroads merged--hence the "SOO" painted on the switcher's cab.

I'm guessing the other, older scenes were taken somewhere along the Soo Line's trackage in northern Minnesota/Wisconsin, and/or Michigan's Upper Penninsula (iron, copper, and logging country).

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Those are mountains in the third photo. They aren't in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the Upper Penninsula. It isn't the Soo. The last photo should be a big hint.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...then is it the Milwaukee Road after all? Assuming that the last pic is a substation to power overhead catenary?

jordanb

Cyburbian
I know this is a longshot, but it's not the Flordia East Coast Railroad, is it? The seventh photo makes me want to ask that. (Of course, none of the other pictures suggest Flordia at all).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Hmmm...then is it the Milwaukee Road after all? Assuming that the last pic is a substation to power overhead catenary?

Yup, it is the Milwaukee Road.

The Milwaukee Road built a series of electrical power plants along its mainline through Montana, then ran electric-powered locomotives through the plains and even into the mountains. It was truly remarkable. They also ran one of the most beautiful routes ever, the Olympic Hiawatha, from Chicago to Seattle. The route went into Glacier National Park, and there was a spur to Yellowstone. Several of the trains were streamliners, making the experience even better.

Markitect

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Yup, it is the Milwaukee Road.

Rather sneaky posting a picture of those ex-Milwaukee Road switchers clearly lettered for the Soo Line in with a bunch of legitimate Milwaukee Road pictures--it throws the whole game off track! ;-)

I guess I was at least "half-right."

Did you happen to catch the Hiawatha "Cedar Rapids" Sky Top observation car on display at the Milwaukee Art Museum last summer?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Markitect said:
Rather sneaky posting a picture of those ex-Milwaukee Road switchers clearly lettered for the Soo Line in with a bunch of legitimate Milwaukee Road pictures--it throws the whole game off track! ;-)

I guess I was at least "half-right."

Did you happen to catch the Hiawatha "Cedar Rapids" Sky Top observation car on display at the Milwaukee Art Museum last summer?

I said I was going to make it more difficult. ;) No, I missed the "Cedar Rapids."