• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess when it was built

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It looks a lot like my high school in New Jersey, which was built in 1952, so my guess would be 1950-55.

Please do not tell me it is new. Anyone building a pseudo-historic structure today should be ridden out of town on a rail.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
? Is it old or/and significant to be listed on the National Register ?
or
? Is it a sentimental favorite ?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
While I would like to think it is old, there are too many signs suggesting the opposite. I say 2001.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Cardinal said:
While I would like to think it is old, there are too many signs suggesting the opposite. I say 2001.
No contractor worth his salt would have preserved those trees in the foreground, Cardinal : "uhh, the CAT 567221 cain't get it's trax in thair without wracking them trees." 8-!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
No contractor worth his salt would have preserved those trees in the foreground, Cardinal : "uhh, the CAT 567221 cain't get it's trax in thair without wracking them trees." 8-!
The two large trees are still a good distance back from the building. The other trees are all new - at least a season or two old, though. The grass also appears to be new. The concrete is still new-looking. There are no stains on the brick. It looks to fresh to be very old. There are no signs of any modifications to the exterior of hte building. On a school building from the first half of the century, you would expect there would be a need for modification over time. No, this is new.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
School 2 is a product of the commuter age -- note how the entrance is designed to accomodate automobiles as opposed to school 1 which is scaled to a pedestrian environment. I'm sticking with c1950-55

jsk1983

Cyburbian
The school pictured at top is Williamsville South High School built in 1950. I posted this because I was interested in seeing when people thought it was built. Before I knew it was from 1950 I assumed it was a product of the '20's or 30's. The picture posted is hardly a complete picture of the entire school. A science wing was added in the early sixties and a second gynasium was added in the rear in 1992.
Up close the school is in not as good condition as it appears in the photo. New windows with fake panes were installed a while back and they are peeling left and right. However, it is nice that they opted to preserve the rectangular shape of the window as oppossed to covering them up from the outside with metal. From the inside the windows are only half as big, as they are covered up on the inside to conserve energy.
The school at the bottom is Mill Middle School, located about a mile away from the high school. And while built only eight years later is vastly different in its architectural styling, or perhaps more accurately its lack of.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My Buffalo-area high school, baby! It's as old as it looks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's mine, built in 1902 with many additions. It had two indoor pools, one of them the oldest in the state. Our alumni include Harrison Ford and Hillary Clinton.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
The elementary school I attended was built around 1920, but was replaced and converted into the town hall sometime in the late 1970s or early 1980s. A friend of mine is the assistant planner for the town. Her office is in my old 5th grade classroom. Weird.

boiker

Cyburbian
my high school is the subject of an impending partial or complete demolition:

Attached are two additional images, one is a historic postcard of the High School..and the second is the proposed partial demolition renovation.

Attachments

passdoubt

Cyburbian
I really like this middle school I attended. Too bad I was only there for a year and a half before my family moved yet again to another suburb, with an ugly hodgepotch of modular units for a school.

Beverly Hills Middle School opened its doors as a state-of-the-art junior high in 1930. A beautiful, three story Georgian building with large columns and a grand cupola, it houses over 1525 students in grades six, seven, and eight. Beverly Hills serves a diverse population with students from 52 countries. Ours is a neighborhood school; 1450 of our students walk to school. The school is used by the community most nights and weekends. To accommodate the growing population, additions to the building have been constructed over the years; an addition containing 12 classrooms, and a library was completed in January 2000.
Oh, and by the way, this is the Beverly Hills section of Upper Darby, PA; not California.

GRID

Cyburbian
Those highschools are definitely stunners. They don't build stuff that good anymore it seems...