• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess Where The Road Is #1

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Finally ... a new contest for the Cyburbian community!

A poster displays an image of a road. Hints as to the road's location should be identifiable in the landscape, vehicles, surrounding built environment, traffic patterns, road design or engineering specific to a region, or signage. That means play fair ... don't post something like this

Instead, post something like this.

For this first contest, I give you ...

2nd runner-up - the Cyburbian that guesses the state or province where the pictured road is located.

1st runner-up - the Cyburbian that guesses the nearest metropolitan area or region.

Winner - the Cyburbian that guesses the name or number, and approximate location, of the actual road itself.

Let's begin with something easy.

Attachments

• highway.jpg
    highway.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 212
It's definitely not I-80 in Nebraska. It has too many lanes especially in a rural area. My guess is I-94 in Michigan between Benton Harbor and Battle Creek.

ChevyChaseDC

Cyburbian
the north omaha star said:
It's definitely not I-80 in Nebraska. It has too many lanes especially in a rural area. My guess is I-94 in Michigan between Benton Harbor and Battle Creek.

I'm certain it's not there, I-94 is 2 lanes each side between Battle Creek and Benton Harbor.

What about I-75 northbound, between Flint and Saginaw, MI?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dragon said:
I-10 Outside of Huston?

Ding ding ding! You got it ... it's I-10, the Katy Freeway, west of Houston.

Your prize ... a copy of the Houston zoning code!

While it could be one of those other flat places mentioned, some clues include the lack of treelines, an absolutely flat yet green landscape, and a straight, straight, straight road, a TXDOT trademark.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Dan said:

[Wiping monitor clean]Subtle sense of humor, oh exalted leader.[/Wiping monitor clean]

So, Dan, did you make up this whole game just so you could use that joke?

Congrats, Dragon

Dragon

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Ding ding ding! You got it ... it's I-10, the Katy Freeway, west of Houston.

YES!! Finally I won something, although I can’t spell Houston properly. May spell check be ever vigilant.

I’d like to thank my brother for living north of Houston and making me come visit him often. :-D

jestes said:
Good job Dragon. Now if you can just learn to spell...Huston!?! :p

Be quiet, I was in a hurry to get my answer out there. Besides, you hired me out of pity, what do you expect?!? :p

mgk920

Cyburbian
boiker said:
I-94 South of Milwaukee

Nope, definitely not, the land is not THAT flat and I-94 in Racine and Kenosha Counties has a frontage road on each side the whole way. That part of I-94 is also not paved with concrete.

it's also not I-94 in SW Michigan, the land in that image is also waaaaay too flat for there, also that area has more trees and development along the way.

My first guess was also the 6 lane section of the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90), somewhere between Cleveland and Toledo. Its terrain is flat enough, but again, the Ohio Turnpike uses no concrete in its paving.

My second possibility was I-55 between Lincoln and Springfield, IL. It is a six-lane concrete highway in similarly flat land, but that part of I-55 is not _that_ busy and it has a paralleling railroad.

I'm kindof amazed that that image is in Texas, as SOP in the state is to also place a fontage road (called a 'feeder') on each side of a freeway wherever it fronts along private land, much like those along I-94 south of Milwaukee to the Illinois state line.

BTW, isn't that first image in the initial post the Blue Ridge Parkway? The second is definitely ON 401 in NE Toronto, ON. My first tip-off as to its exact location was the design of the sign bridge's support structure, which is unique to the province.

Mike

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
mgk920 said:
The second is definitely ON 401 in NE Toronto, ON. My first tip-off as to its exact location was the design of the sign bridge's support structure, which is unique to the province.

Exactly. There's the sign gantry, the express lanes, the bilingual "EXIT/SORTIE" signs, metric units, and the US FWHA typeface. Also, signs in the US don't include periods after "Rd" or "S".

The Houston image was probably tougher than I realized, because of the lack of frontage roads.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
That Toronto example is actually my old exit when I lived up at the Scarborough Town Centre. It's a brutal stretch of roadway - too many exits/entrances in too short a space.