• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess where thess streets got their names

donk

Cyburbian
That is pretty funny.

We have entire subdisions with the street names of the developer's children.

bocian

Cyburbian
30 miles speed limit? ... Suicidal people's playground / gated access to suicide opportunities? Drive a car right into the staorage, head on, Quick Drive death...

What's with the Stop sign? So someone can actually come back alive from the Storage facilities?

Hmmm....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:
We once had a client with a real bad habit of not returning phone calls... and after he named his streets (they were all flowers or some crap), the city rejected one because it was used.

I called... and called... and left numerous messages to get him to give me a new name. After two weeks, I had to submit it to the Planning Commission. So I named it after one of my kids.

Man, was he pissed! All of these funky flower names, and a short street named after my kid. I don't think my boss ever forgave me for that stunt.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

Man, was he pissed! All of these funky flower names, and a short street named after my kid.
He had every right to be. With all those flower names, you should have substituted another. Might I suggest any of the following:

- Skunk Cabbage Lane
- Round-leaved Eriogonum Road
- Panicled Death-camas Street
- Pleurisy-root Trail
- Long-spined Horse-brush Court
- Columbia Virgin's Bower Street
- Bishop's Goutweed Boulevard
- Bastard Toadflax Avenue
- Hoary Puccoon Road
- Hairy Grama Drive

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
donk said:
That's quite common. In the neighborhood I grew up in back in Buffalo, there was a group of streets we called "The Old Ladies," because they were named after the developer's daughters. Why "The Old Ladies?" The streets were named in 1910. Phyllis, Millicent, Agnes, Ethel, Edith, and more ... can't get much more bluehair than that.

I've noticed that in somewhat ... uhh, working-class, predominantly white areas that have a culturally rural Southern orientation, streets named after women are common. Thing is, they're names like Betty Sue or Mary Lou and Tammy Leigh and so on. There's a whole bunch of streets north of Las Cruces, New Mexico named after "country girls."

kms

Cyburbian
We used to review plans from an engineering company whose address is Moon-Clinton Road. Maybe Biscuit has seen this address; it's not too far from Pittsburgh.

During a site visit, a contractor was burning one of the biggest trees I've seen. They named that street Burning Oak.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
Great... Instant red-light district. I'm SURE that would have made him happier!
It might intersect with Short-leaved Pussytoes Avenue. Certainly not Columbia Virgin's Bower Street.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
We have the fairy tale subdivision, complete with Miss Muffet Lane.

We also have this one. Apparently the developer likes to drink.

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
We used to review plans from an engineering company whose address is Moon-Clinton Road. Maybe Biscuit has seen this address; it's not too far from Pittsburgh.
I haven't seen that one but I'm guessing that it's somewhere in Moon Twp. near the airport.