• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guys ... embrace your inner chick!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, men of Cyburbia, it's time to fess up. Admit some of the girly things that you might like or do.

Me ... well, there's taking oatmeal baths, and slapping wet Biore strips on my nose. Unlike most guys, I'm not a team sports fanatic.

However, the programmed favorite channels of my cable box skips Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, Lifetime Real Women, We, Oxygen, the Soap Opera Channel, the Hallmark Channel, and the shopping networks. Grunt!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night and I work all day.

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shoppin'
And has buttered scones for tea.

I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars.

He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?!

I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Papa.

The Irish One

Oprah.
I might get a manicure/peticure.
I like a lot of chick music. Cocteau Twins comes to mind.
there's more.

I'm sure rob will appreciate this, but here are my husband's chick tendacies:
1. Also loves the biore strips. but i think its more the fascination with the crap that comes out on the strips rather than a desire to have clean pores.
2. Like El Guapo, digs the indie rock girls - natalie merchant, indigo girls, etc (sorry to spill beans guap!)
3. Loves the Golden Girls. Even has a favorite one.

Please no one email him that I'm tattling on him! (El Guapo!) :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I enjoy Trading Spaces (especially ones with Genevieve)

I Use a Shaving Lotion called "Kiss My Face" It is for men, but the name and bottle decoration is quite girly.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I Use a Shaving Lotion called "Kiss My Face" It is for men, but the name and bottle decoration is quite girly.
Ummm, put me down, too, for the Kiss My Face products. I don't think they're girly, just like them because they are natural.

other girly traits of mine...
I like "Sex and the City" and Cosmopolitans
Sometimes I fix my hair when I walk by a mirror
Sometimes I buy Ben & Jerry's ice cream and eat it, sitting on the couch watching TV
I think boxing is stoopid and can't even watch it
I don't like shoot 'em up, bloody action movies

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I bring more pairs of shoes on trips than I should. Ya never know what you're going to need right?

I like Trading Spaces as well.

nerudite

Cyburbian
My boyfriend has some girlie tendencies, despite his RUGGED exterior.

He is currently growing out his hair, and he has taken on some of my hair product obsessiveness. He uses the normal shampoo/conditioner, but now has expanded into hot oils, spray-on leave-in conditioner and other stuff. Primping in the mirror or asking opinions on how his hair looks/feels is common.

He takes awhile to pick out what to wear, and will often ask for opinions on his "outfits".

Although he likes beer, when we go out to dinner he often likes the chick drinks (strawberry daquiris especially). <OT: sometimes I think of the girl drink drunk episode from Kids in the Hall when he orders... hee!>

Just about any type of pampering works well for him. :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
1. Biore

2. Trading Spaces, Genevieve is hot and from Iowa, does that cancel that one?
3. Was married to a lesbian

EDIT: Genevieve is from Minneapolis (sorry Minneapolis)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Thanks to my beauty products fanatic fiance, I have started to use facial cleanser, scrub, tonar and sometimes moisturizer on a daily basis.

I get my hair cut at a salon instead of saving the money and just going to Supercuts. The 10 minute scalp massage makes it all worth it.

EDIT: just went back and read this post and man does it sound gay - NTTAWWT...although, I can't stand the Golden Girls. ;)

BKM

Cyburbian
I collect things (Indian pottery and art glass.) Thats not very rugged, I guess.

JNL

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I like "Sex and the City" and Cosmopolitans
Sometimes I fix my hair when I walk by a mirror
Sometimes I buy Ben & Jerry's ice cream and eat it, sitting on the couch watching TV
I think boxing is stoopid and can't even watch it
I don't like shoot 'em up, bloody action movies
Yay for greenescapist! I concur on all of these points ('cept I never heard of Ben & Jerry's). But then... I am a girl!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Trading Spaces kicks ass! I like to make fun some of the terrible things the designers do to those poor people. Plus a decent looking chick that's a carpenter- there's just something hot about girls with power tools!

Runner

Cyburbian
  • HGTV is one of favorite channels
  • Prefer individual fitness activities over team sports.

Slightly off topic: Does this thread lead into a discussion on metrosexuals?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
prudence said:
You all sound gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
It's not being gay. It's being a "metrosexual," or a man in touch with his feminine side. That term was coined by somebody to describe Brad Pitt.

I'll admit I watch Lifetime occasionally. I also watch a lot of stuff on TLC -- Dating Story, Wedding Story, Baby Story, Trading Spaces, While You Were Out, etc.

That's OK, right? It's not like I use Biore strips or get manicures and pedicures... not that there's anything wrong with that.

prudence

Cyburbian
?!?

We are men. We are different. We have only one word for soap. We do not own candles. We have never seen anything of any value in a craft shop. We do not own magazines full of photographs of celebrities with their clothes on.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: ?!?

prudence said:
We are men. We are different. We have only one word for soap. We do not own candles. We have never seen anything of any value in a craft shop. We do not own magazines full of photographs of celebrities with their clothes on.
Also we don't form posses to go to the bathroom. What the hell is up with that anyway? I've asked a lot of women about that and the straightest answer I've gotten is "we like to talk." You'd think they were up to something if it weren't so consistent.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Better than the mob?

carlomarx said:
Giff--

--So, how was that?
she is also a psyco bitch, if that tells you anything.....

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Yay for greenescapist! I concur on all of these points ('cept I never heard of Ben & Jerry's). But then... I am a girl!
Ben & Jerry's is really good ice cream from Vermont. It was bought by some giant company last year - Unilever? - so maybe you'll see it someday in your part of the world.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: ?!?

jordanb said:
... the straightest answer I've gotten is "we like to talk."
[ot]
Man, I REALLY hate it when someone talks to me while I'm takin care of business.

(Although my friend Jim likes to take the furtherest away urinal from someone he knows and then pop off something loud like "Hey Chet, has that the burning discharge and puss cleared up yet?" Juvenile, but amusing to watch people reactions.
[/ot]

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Re: Re: ?!?

jordanb said:
Also we don't form posses to go to the bathroom. What the hell is up with that anyway? I've asked a lot of women about that and the straightest answer I've gotten is "we like to talk." You'd think they were up to something if it weren't so consistent.
There is one, and only one, circumstance where it is appropriate for a man to ask another man to go to the bathroom together. When liquor/beer is involved. As in : "Hey after this inning, lets run to the can, and then grab some beers" This is usually done because stadiums/arenas have a limit on the number of beers you can buy at one time.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Let's see...

- sometimes when I am feeling really prissy I will use shaving cream instead of dry-shaving.

- I will occassionally shoot a .22 cal instead of the usual .357 magum or .45 Colt.

- if Guinness seems like too much of a beer, I will go down as far as a brown ale.

- I do own a pink dress shirt and wear it a couple times each year.

- I had the Victoria's Secret catalog sent to me for years. I never bought anything, but I read it from cover to cover.

Rem

Cyburbian
Prudence is the only man on this board I now have any respect for. JNL should make a statement on behalf of her male compatriots - "New Zealand - where men are men and sheep are nervous".

nerudite

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Prudence is the only man on this board I now have any respect for.
We've all seen prudence's picture. He's awfully well-groomed to not have ANY girlie qualities.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Prudence has a fabulous lavendar shirt and matching tie.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
inspired by Slave to The Grind - great lyric selection.
also I am Aggie alumnus.

similar to BKM "art glass" I have watched the PBS show on Blenko Glass, even went to Milton, WV to purchase some pieces.

candles - Bad! a cause of house fires.

Sorry Rem - I though the line went "Wyoming - ....."

when I was on a volunteer fire dept. what's intimidating was seeing a few girls out perform some men when it came to driving the ladder truck.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Prudence is the only man on this board I now have any respect for. JNL should make a statement on behalf of her male compatriots - "New Zealand - where men are men and sheep are nervous".
You are asking for trouble, 'mate' :p I dug this picture out specially for you:

As seen on the London Underground...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Downtown said:
I'm sure rob will appreciate this, but here are my husband's chick tendacies:
1. Also loves the biore strips. but i think its more the fascination with the crap that comes out on the strips rather than a desire to have clean pores.
2. Like El Guapo, digs the indie rock girls - natalie merchant, indigo girls, etc (sorry to spill beans guap!)
3. Loves the Golden Girls. Even has a favorite one.

Please no one email him that I'm tattling on him! (El Guapo!) :)

Busted! :)

She is correct, I do so enjoy my Lez folk rock.

Ok so, its a little bit of Lez music....and I own an espresso machine.

Ok, Lez rock, epressos, lattes and I own a Volvo. But that is it.

OMG, I'm a lesbian!

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
haha. I love this thread! I dunno know..well, lets see..sometimes I don't think Pink is too bad and I really dig Purple a lot more than most guys! and there are times I just love it when a gal rocks my world :) seduced sort of thing.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
Trading Spaces kicks ass! I like to make fun some of the terrible things the designers do to those poor people. Plus a decent looking chick that's a carpenter- there's just something hot about girls with power tools!
haha..me too!!!!!!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sorry, guys, but JoAnne Liebeler from Hometime in the mid-1990s ... her departure caused the show to jump the shark, IMHO.

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
You are asking for trouble, 'mate' :p I dug this picture out specially for you:

As seen on the London Underground...
Ooooh I bet you've been waiting for the chance to use that.

I shouldn't be too harsh - my uncle's a sheep farmer. And actually he recently visited NZ - due to the drought etc. he thought he might as well take a break. He tells a nice story about when he was driving through the countryside near Wellington and saw a local farmer in a paddock, wearing only gum boots, servicing a sheep. My uncle yells out "back home we shear them". The Kiwi farmer yells back, "knick off, I'm not shearing this one with anyone". (An understanding of the NZ accent is necessary to follow this story).

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
OK, what about Designing Women? ;)
...One of the worst things ever inflicted on man. I had a college girlfriend who would sit down every night and watch a two hour block of Golden Grils and Designing Women on Lifetime. The relationship was doomed from the day she started doing that.

donk

Cyburbian
I think we've already done a similar thread, because I know I have confessed these before

1) I like Lush soap products. the good news is that they now make shaving cream. www.lush.com

2) I to own too many shoes.

3) If I could afford it, i would have art glass, like the Blenko stuff. That was a really interesting documentary.

4) Not the big fan of most team sports.

5) i drive a jetta. It is filthy and starting to rust if that is more rugged.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
OK I feel Lame

Ok, now I feel lame… but here I go.
I have a great apartment, with real paintings on the walls, nice furniture, candles, tons of plants and it is always clean. I also enjoy cooking and reading, and from time to time, enjoy a “deep” movie. Oh, and I condition my hair every day.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
1) I really like interior design stuff (books, magazines, TV shows)

2) I love to cook (not just BBQ)

3) I love shopping for clothes, and wish I could afford more.

4) I like to be pampered...

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:

5) i drive a jetta. It is filthy and starting to rust if that is more rugged.
A Jetta is the ultimate chick car. I have lost all respect for you.

donk

Cyburbian
I ride a steel hard tail with a 68 mm travel fork if that makes things better? i even ride my fully rigid 7 speed thumbshifter bike in teh woods still, those have to count for something.

I don't shave my legs, even though I am thinking about doing it again.