• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Guys ... embrace your inner chick!

prudence

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Prudence is the only man on this board I now have any respect for.

Woo hoo!!! Though, Rem, you now have admitted you respect the bottom of the barrel.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Sorry, guys, but JoAnne Liebeler from Hometime in the mid-1990s ... her departure caused the show to jump the shark, IMHO.

jojo2.jpg

Dan, you are a guy I can truly respect with regard to your preferences in women. First Tina Fey, now Joanne Liebeler. These are truly hot babes. Keep it up.

prudence

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
We've all seen prudence's picture. He's awfully well-groomed to not have ANY girlie qualities.

Ummm...thanks, I guess, for noticing that I don't appear disheveled.

But I do not beleive that I have any girly qualities. I am not high maintenance. I don't own a comb. I shave every couple of days, but all the products are made for men. I go to a gym to workout. I ride a motorcycle. I just try to take care of myself...but not to the same degree a woman does.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Girly Stuff

You have it all wrong, any ordinary girly object in itself does not give a man permanant cooties that make him weak in the knees.

That Jeta that has one gentleman feeling a bit less than adequate is the perfect example. Put on a trailer hitch for towing a duck boat and you could get it to places the monster SUV couldn't, or during the winter, to your ice fishing trail via the snow mobile trail. And trust me on this, when the Jeta slides off the trail down a hill, you and one or two friends could get it back up the hill on the track. SUV? wrecker time!

Team sports bore the hell out of me, although going to a Reds game is always enjoyable. I couldn't tell you who won the Super Bowl this year, although I'm certain it wasn't the Bills.

Was a big fan of "Once and Again" (damn them for cancelling!)
Am a big fan of "American Dreams"
Enjoy on occasion listening to the Judy Garland box set I bought for my wife.

Tom R

Cyburbian
girlie

One thing I do that could be interpreted as "feminine" is I love to lie in ambush when dealing with a confrontation such as with a developer. Maybe I learned this from my ex.

Separate string maybe: All I can say about the Ausies I've me is that they drink and party stronger than anyone else I've come accross.

martini

Cyburbian
hmmm....

I can't stand team sports, love massages, do yoga fairly consistenlty, like HGTV, Really get into interior design stuff, I
'm acharter subscriber to DWELL magazine. Don't shave my legs, but i do shave my head. I take forever to pick out outfits, and everything has to match, I try to not clash. I LOOOOVE shoes, and actually enjoy shopping.

I drive an SUV though(for the moment at least), so that should cancel out at least some of the above!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok to save my self here....

I extreme ski, mountain bike (hard tail)
I did street race (85 s-10 blazer with a 350 4bbl)
I now drive a pimped out 2000 impala LS
I rock climb
I play drums
Drink Lager and eat cold pizza for Saturday breakfast
I cliff dive.
I NEVER EVER EVER ask for directions, But I have a ton of maps.
I drink a coffee and read the paper every morning.
I have all the ROCKY and Godfather movies.
I have a very limited wardrobe.
I can do more that one shot of whiskey.
I have season tickets to a hockey team, and own a red wings jersey.

I HAVE AIR TOOLS!!!

donk

Cyburbian
michaelskis asked
again???? That would suggest that you have done that in the past?

Cyclists shave their legs for a few reasons, massage, to make road rash heal faster (my reason), to belong to the "clube" and to make your legs look bigger and better defined.

While I used to shave my legs I no longer do, ask mike D about it, he still shaves.

The important thing to know is the proper location to stop shaving, you don't want to go to high.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I've watched too many episodes of Berman and Berman to be a real man (even my wife thinks its funny). I'm not really into sports. I can't drink a lot. I don't know anything about engines. I'm not into X-Treme anything (eating maybe). But otherwise I am PURE MAN!

H

Cyburbian
I drink wine, mostly red, sometimes white. (BUT NEVER AT A BAR, only around the house or at dinner).

Also, I like frozen drinks sometimes. ouch that one was hard to say.

oh, and I drink Slimfast in the mornings. I hate buying it, I feel so stupid.

I fell so free now. ;)

otterpop

Cyburbian
... embrace your inner chick!

OK, guys. After all that sharing (talk about embracing your inner chick), you should all go out to the garage and work on the car or build something. But first, it is time to recite the Man's Prayer.

"I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess." -- Red Green

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: ... embrace your inner chick!

otterpop said:
OK, guys. After all that sharing (talk about embracing your inner chick), you should all go out to the garage and work on the car or build something. But first, it is time to recite the Man's Prayer.

"I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess." -- Red Green

Thats easy for you to say, you're from Montana. Everyone's a man's man in Montana. It even the toughest sounding state name. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I gave up watching wrestling on Monday nights for Everwood (my new favorite show on TV).

I also am in the Trading Spaces camp.

Those are my most glaring ones....

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: Re: ... embrace your inner chick!

Seabishop said:
Thats easy for you to say, you're from Montana. Everyone's a man's man in Montana. It even the toughest sounding state name. :)

According to a friend of mine who moved to Bozeman, everybody in Montana is a man. He often commented on the lack of women in the area and even refered to it as Mantana. If that's the truth then I'm guessing that they're more in touch with their feminine side than they care to admit. Perhaps it's a lot like Texas, all steers and... ;)

prudence said:
READ: Wife = Life Partner named Ron

Hey, c'mon now. That lady can sing!

Of course, er, so can....Robert Plant! and Roger Daltry! And Steve Tyler! Yeah! Them too...

Seabishop said:

God, isn't that the truth. I don't think I've ever met anyone from Montana who couldn't build a house with their bare hands, and do a passable job as a large-animal vetranarian.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

Seabishop said:

Well, after having worked in Montana, the saying was..."Where the men are men, and sheep and women are scared."

BKM

Cyburbian
Mitigating the girly curse

Well,on the one hand, I like plants and flowers, the girly Acoma pottery and excess interest in architecture and design (I subscribe to Dwell too-I don't know if that's "girly" or just that I'm an architect wannabe).

Mitigation:

My "wardrobe" sucks (except for cycling jerseys and black teeshirts)

I listen to damn-me-to-hell European heavy metal,

Find WWE (Damn those British wildlife ninnies) the best "sports entertainment" on television,

I like dragging my fat carcass up Napa County mountain roads on my bicycle (Hurray for Atlas Peak!),

I hate discussing my "feelings." My road biking co-worker is going through the big D right now, so I have to listen to his descriptions of the psychology self-help books he is reading now.

I guess its a wash. But then, on a Board with El Guapo and Prudence, I could never compete anyway :)

donk

Cyburbian
I hate discussing my "feelings

The only things you are suppoesed to discuss on road rides are :

1) sex - the dirtier the better
2) all the food you are going to eat after the ride, especiall yif you are bonking and forgot to bring food or money
3) all the beer you are going to drink later
4) the various pieces of road kill you see
5) funny white trash sightings
6) racing stories.

Feelings is no where on that list.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, I am being a good shoulder to cry on. He IS pretty broken up about it, even if the ex done him wrong. Still

donk

Cyburbian
A Jetta is the ultimate chick car. I have lost all respect for you.

I don't think there's any way you can make a Jetta rugged, except to stick a Passat label on it and hope people fall for it

I ordered by F350 3/4 tonne dually with a 10 inch lift kit last night. Its first job will be to monster truck the jetta. At least mine is an A3 body and not the A4 shown on Dan's website.

On the less feminine side, i don't ever put any sort of styling product in my hair, I hate it. The girl who cuts my hair did once and I asked her to wash my hair to get it out.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK donk forced me to post my first real inner chick: I do put pomade in my hair and my stylist is a big homo and hes fun to chat with when I get my hair cut.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
OK donk forced me to post my first real inner chick: I do put pomade in my hair and my stylist is a big homo and hes fun to chat with when I get my hair cut.

Hey, ain't no shame in the pomade game.
After all, no woman is going to take a second look at you if you look like you don't know how to take care of yourself. So pay for a decent hair-cut, wear a decent pair of shoes, tame that uni-brow, and buy a new shirt that fits you every once and awhile. It's not embracing your inner chick... It's being secure with your masculinity. Chicks dig it. 8)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Chet said:

Now that's gay!

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Makes me want to redo that Odds song, Heterosexual Man with a metrosexual theme...

"I want to scrub every blackhead I see
I want to scrub every blackhead I see
Maybe use a Biore or three
I'm a metrosexual man..."

etc. etc.

For those of you who don't know the song, find it...most guys like it.
EDIT: well, hetero guys anyway

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Well....
I like the Indigo Girls,
seldom watch sports on tv
habitually see things from the other person's point of view
actually liked the romantic comedy "Nottinghill"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
sometimes i cry to a good TV show. The latest was Brothers and Sisters

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Does wearing Calvin Klein tightie whities count for anything? :-$

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Somebody posted 4 years ago that one of their male accomplishments was driving an Impala. Trust me... not a chick magnet. That is what weird female accountants or managers drive.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Bon Jovi is one of my favorite bands and I even like the ballads, however I must say that one of the best parts about going to a Bon Jovi concert are all the MILFs in the audience. :p

I also enjoy watching the Golden Girls on occassion. I mean, it's funny stuff. Who doesn't like comedy?

I receive copies of Planning magazine. :-c;-)

donk

Cyburbian

Hey, ain't no shame in the pomade game.
After all, no woman is going to take a second look at you if you look like you don't know how to take care of yourself. So pay for a decent hair-cut, wear a decent pair of shoes, tame that uni-brow, and buy a new shirt that fits you every once and awhile. It's not embracing your inner chick... It's being secure with your masculinity. Chicks dig it. 8)

What a change a few years make, but somethings never change. Time to update the list

1) Still drive a jetta, A different one, but still a jetta
2) Now get my hair cut at a high end salon and use "designer" shampoo and "product"(wax)
3) Wear designer jeans

TOFB

Cyburbian
I just decided I prefer mouse instead of gel in the remaining hair I have. . . .

cch

Cyburbian
Since other gals have ratted out their husbands, I guess I will too. My husband:
- Takes about 3 times longer getting ready to go someplace than I do.
- Loves watching America's Next Top Model and Project Runway with me.
- Uses nutragena facial moisturizer.
- Does more of the house-cleaning and other housework than I do, and he cooks dinner as often as I do (we split that duty).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Let's see...um.....
  • I like to cook (but that doesn't really count for my age group)
  • I like to watch "So you think you dance?" (but mainly for the nice female dancer bodies and cool hip-hop dance moves :-D)
  • I...um....can't really think of anything else. :p

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Ok,
Here goes...

I used clinque face wash to ensure a healthy looking shine
I watch HGTV with my wife and i like it
I like Natalie Imbruglia's Left of the Middle Album
I use this designer soap from Monterey and have it shipped to me every few months
I like to shop at Bath and Bodyworks for their hand washing soaps
I just like to shop in general for clothes and shoes
I was once told i drive a "teenage girl car" by a co-worker

But to my credit, i can down a coors light from a can in less than 30 seconds!

graciela

Cyburbian
I ordered by F350 3/4 tonne dually with a 10 inch lift kit last night.

Sorry Donk, gotta pick on ya. Any manly man knows that a F-350 is a one ton truck. F-250s are 3/4 ton. Good thing you are still driving that Jetta.;-)

:p:a:

Ok, so I will rat out my hubby.

Loves shoes
Cleans house
Bleaches his teeth
Has pretty long blonde hair
Drove a Honda Prelude when I met him
Enjoys shopping for home decor

zman

Cyburbian
Let's see....

I go to the Salon for haricuts now (Saturday morning, nice looking woman cuts my hair, lots of nice looking women in the salon, free gourmet coffee and I get a steam towel treatment on my face).

I buy "product" for my hair from said salon and style it in a trendy fashion.

I enjoy shopping for Kitchen Gadgets (and using them too).

I can be (at times) easily moved to tears.

I hug all my friends of the same gender.

I enjoy a nice bath every now and then (when I can fit in the tub)

craines

Cyburbian
Love to dress well, shoe freak, love to gossip, love to watch other women undres.....opps gettijng confused again sorry.

wahday

Cyburbian
I am the main cleaner in the household
I like to cook
I have a fondness for interior decorating (and re-decorating)
I am fairly easily moved to tears during movies or even tv shows (hell, the right cheezy song does it these days)
I'm a good listener
I like nice clothes (including shoes) but generally lack the income to do much about it...

I have to say, though, that the older I get, the more my wife have fallen into some typical gender roles. Ironically, we both seem to think this is both hilarious and "exciting" (if you get my point). Viva la liberacion!