• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Had I been born in another time, I wish I could have...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Did you want to sail with Magellan?
Did you want to hear the Sermon on the Mount?
Could you have helped Arjuna understand Lord Krishna better?
Could you hack it as a Gladiator?
Do you think you could have improved upon the Constitution?

Here you go. Set your WayBackMachine to:

Trekies and Futurists also allowed to play.

kms

Cyburbian
Hang out with Theodore Roosevelt. He had a zest for life, no fear, loved his family, and appears to be honest and sincere.

el Guapo

Capitalist
TR: Funny you should mention him. I'm reading Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris as we speak. I had no idea how out front he was on race issues either. Quite a good guy.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I would have loved to have crossed the continent with Lewis and Clark, or to have been in the first wagon train to California in 1840 (along with my current knowledge of where the gold was).

nerudite

Cyburbian
June 16, 1816

I would have liked to have been at the Villa Diodoti in Switzerland with Lord Byron, Percy and Mary Shelley, and John Polidori the night they all got drunk, read ghost stories, had sex, and scared the hell out of each other. It was the night that spawned both Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Polidori's The Vampyre.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I know it's naive, and never having faced combat (though I did serve in the Cdn Forces Reserves) I'm being somewhat stupid, but I've always wished I could have been there at D-Day (June 6, 1944), or been an RAF pilot during the Battle of Britain. Even if it (very likely) meant my death.

Other than that, I wish I could have been a "robber baron" tycoon of the late 19th century, building my railway empire across North America...

kms

Cyburbian
EG - let me know what you think about the Theodore Rex - would you recommend it? It's been on my "to read" list for a while. I read another TR book by Morris, and one by Nathan Miller.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm giving it a eight on a ten point scale so far. But then again I like CSPAN. It is real readable and logically constructed. Full of good details. The books best atribute is I think it captures his personality in a way other biographers don't seem to be able to.

It was my birthday gift from my 13 year old son.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The Brotherhood

Tranplanner said:
I've always wished I could have been there at D-Day (June 6, 1944), or been an RAF pilot during the Battle of Britain. Even if it (very likely) meant my death.
In the same theme. I would have loved to have been in the Easter Rising against the British in Dublin 1916. The summary executions by the Brits would have been a downside.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/history/east1916.html
http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/easter.htm
http://users.bigpond.com/kirwilli/1916/

I would love to travel to Paris during the 1890's, the height of the art nouveau scene. I would have kept any Alphonse Mucha prints and adverts that I could find. I would decorate myself with lovely ornate jewellery and spent the days visiting galleries, drinking absinthe and enjoying high society.

smarty

Cyburbian
Probably hang out in the caribbean with Henry Morgan. Although the warm stale beer, gingivitis and oil cloth would have been nasty, the water would be warm, the rum real, and the beaches clean.

The Irish One

The Dude from New York

Teedie for sure. I just finished The rise of T.R. and I think I'll read it one more time before I move on to T Rex. At what point in TR's life would you want to live -for me the battle at San Juan -or going after the guys that jacked his boat in Dakota. Can't wait for the third of the series to come out.