• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Halloween is comming...

Pop Quiz: What will you do for Halloween?

• I'll prevent my kids to dress like monsters ans scarry things

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll prevent my kids from dressing as fag fairies and cute costumes (sorry fag fairies)

• I'll dress up and scare the kids so I'll keep the candy

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I'm going out this year, so my house will be filled with TP when I come back

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • I'll be waitin' 'em suckas with ma' shotgun

• What is this halloween you speak of?

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
.. and I sense that there will be many people here objecting Halloween, and others will probably go on a campaign to incentivate pretty and innocent costumes, rather than the typical monsters and scarry costumes...

So.. What do you do hot shot?

(multiple choices available)

nerudite

Cyburbian
We are going to a wedding and reception that night. I'm hoping that we won't come back to toilet paper :(

JNL

Cyburbian
Trick or treating isn't big here, but I'm going out to a Halloween Party anyway. If I get a costume sorted out in time!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We usually go out for dinner for Halloween, otherwise we just can't eat dinner in peace... and later we just deal with the more potentially harmfull kids that come later. 'Cause I doubt a kid dressed up as a flower and holding hands with her mom is gonna thow us an egg or a roll of TP (actually they haven't picked the TPing thing here... just eggs) :p

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Halloween is the GREATEST HOLIDAY of the year! It is the only holiday in christian western culture not built around some sort of GLOOM & DOOM we have to whip ourselves with cat-O-nine tails till we bleed christian crap. OH, thats right, because it is NOT a christian holiday! Whoo HOOO! People get to have FUN!

No presents to buy, no gloom and doom, no formal dress up, no church! Just drinking and eating and partying with my good old friend Bachus!

Got to love the pagan, christian appropriated holidays! THEY ROCK! X-Mass is next! Over HEAR SANTA! You fat little old germanic heathen, Duke needs a new computer! :)

One sour not in all this wonderful pagan reverie! :) 364 1/4 days a year we tell our kids not to talk to strangers, don't take presents from strangers and so on. Then, one day a year we send them out to do just that. Seems like a bad precedent to me.

tsc

Cyburbian
Oh.... the 80 pound hound loves halloween... he gets to wear his ballerina outfit.... I guess I dress him up as a "fag fairy"???

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Hoping to NOT be one of the TP'd houses this year. Who has a wedding on the coolest day of the year anyway?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I love Halloween!!!!! Now that Ihave a kid I get to go trick or treating again!!!! Whooohoooo! Love to dress up. A day when you can dress-up and be someone else.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My mom locks up her house and comes over to mine to hand out treats while I take my son, and Fatboy from next door, trick-or-treating. Only we have to bring Fatboy home after a block because he's too winded to go any further. Afterwards, we come home and hand out candy to the late-comers.

We decorated outside over the weekend; spider web lights, shaking skeleton chimes, spooky eyeballs, etc.

And my son is going as a version of "The Scream". I don't mind him being a monster one bit.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
For the first time I can remember, I won't be doing anything for Halloween. I'm heading to NY to my brother's, then heading up to Montreal on the 1st for a weekend of debauchery. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
NHPlanner said:
I'm heading to NY to my brother's, then heading up to Montreal on the 1st for a weekend of debauchery. :)
Montreal is definitely the place for that . I still don't understand why you'd want to see a Habs/Rangers game though...

NHPlanner

Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Montreal is definitely the place for that . I still don't understand why you'd want to see a Habs/Rangers game though...
I don't really want to see the game....but it's part of the deal for going on the trip (I am going with a bunch of NY'ers and VT'ers). The game will, I'm sure, only be the start of a sleepless weekend. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Halloween is an exhausting routine of taking the kids to various relatives houses in their costumes and brief trick or treating. Our 13 month old is a bunny and when she wears the costume she really crawls around like a little bunny - SHE'S SO GOD DAMN CUTE!

donk

Cyburbian
NHP posted
then heading up to Montreal on the 1st for a weekend of debauchery.
Just remember that when you are talking to a girl at "super sex", she is on the clock. One of the guys I travel with, from PEI, did not know that and almost got us all killed. It is hard to believe he honestly thought she liked him. Bumpkin.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
This year is actually the first year since I lived with my parents that I'll actually be somewhere where kids will be coming around . My wife is looking forward to carving up a pumpkin, and we'll probably decorate the place. I was thinking about hooking up my Simpsons Halloween DVD but figure if I do that the kids will never leave.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Last year I forgot to purchase candy to hand out to the kiddies so I was forced to hand out packs of peanuts, similar to what you receive on an airplane. I thought nothing of it, but the kiddies looked at me like I was crazy. Planderella still laughs about that. Thus, no peanuts for the kiddies this year!

Planderella and I don't have any plans yet, but we'll keep you posted as the ghoulish day and evening draws nearer.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I still don't understand why you'd want to see a Habs/Rangers game though...
Because it's hockey, duh. Even if you don't like the teams, it's worth it if you get to go to a game!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
Because it's hockey, duh. Even if you don't like the teams, it's worth it if you get to go to a game!
That game would only be worth it to me if both teams lost...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
That game would only be worth it to me if both teams lost...
See, even though I love the Leafs... I'm not totally anti-Habs. Whereas I absolutely HATE the Rangers.

Any game is good if there is decent scoring, some kick ass fights and some drinks on hand. :)

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
Any game is good if there is decent scoring, some kick ass fights and some drinks on hand. :)
I'll personally vouch that I will take care of the latter....in some significant quantities. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
No definite plans yet, but since Halloween is on a Friday, I'm sure I'll be donning a costume and staying out way to late at a party or two. Anything to get me out of my neighborhood and away from the trick-or-treaters. Don't get me wrong, I like kids, but the ones around my house all seem to be little monsters.

One thing I know we will be doing the weekend before Halloween is hooking up with some friends and going to a haunted farm somewhere way out in BFE.

Haunted houses, costumes, parties, sugar... Man, I love this kind of stuff.