• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hamburgers

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mustard on my burgers makes me gag - I love 5 guys burgers myself but work really hard to not go there lol

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Some call them hamburgers, others just burgers, and an elite few even use the name hamberders. Whatever you call 'em the world (and especially America) loves them.

What do you like on yours? Personally, my go-to is lettuce, onion, slice of smoked Gouda cheese, Miracle Whip, ketchup, and mustard (plain old yellow salad mustard, nothing fancy mind you). Pickles are quite optional in my view, and while I recognize tomatoes are a popular topping choice, I never cared for raw tomato in most things.

The PERFECT burger must be: 1) grilled over charcoal to a medium rare consistency; 2) preferably at least a quarter pound of 80/20 ground chuck beef; 3) have a Kaiser roll bun lightly toasted
1599749089347.png 1599749114881.png 1599749152413.png

While I appreciate a need or desire to eat healthier, let's be honest ...substitutes like ground turkey or soybeans burgers taste like...let's be charitable and say substitutes.

What does the perfect burger look like in your book?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer.
That sounds so poetic and lyrical the way you put that. Like that's good enough to maybe even pass as a song!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I don't eat a lot of burgers (I prefer brats or sausage in a bun with pickle relish and ketchup), but when I do, it's topped with mayo, cheese, ketchup and pickles. I like mine fresh off the grill.

DVD

Cyburbian
I like a good western style burger. BBQ sauce, onion, etc. I'm also good with a loaded burger of any kind.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I despise sauces on my burger. Those nasty ass ones at the chains dripping with some sort of bbq or some other "secret" sauce are repulsive to me. And, like Mr. Buffett, I also prefer Muenster on my burger. Although I'll also enjoy some Boursin once in a while. If I can't have cooked onions on my burger I like a nice slice of red onion.

Planit

Cyburbian
cheese
bbq sauce / 57 / A1, but not ketchup
mustard - yellow or dijon
caramelized onions sometimes

I don't like a of extra stuff on my burger because I like to taste the meat.
Oh looks, its lunchtime. I'm gonna find me a burger...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hamburger style is dependent on that mood I am in and what the event is.

If it is just hanging out with friends outside, then it is "Deluxe" (with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and onion.)
If it is post game at a bar with a beer, then it is a double patty, bacon, deluxe, with hot sauce.
If it is is back home, it is an Olive Burger. (diced olives, mayo, and provolone
If I am in Detroit, I enjoy a Coney Burger too.

There is a place not too far from here that has a "Ghost Busters Burger" that has ghost pepper cheese, fried jalapenos, jalapeno bacon, and chipotle mayo. It is awesome and to scare people, I add on Tabasco Sauce.

One thing that I never put on my burgers... Ketchup. I hate the stuff.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I like souped up burgers and basic b!tch burgers.

I enjoy anything with BBQ sauce, so burgers work too. I like to lean into that though with cripsy onions and bacon.

I also absolutely love the Shake Shack burger and fried burger. So more simple is on my menu too.

There is a place by me that serves the following:

Hawaiian bun
Fried burger (probably around 1/8lb)
Salt / Pepper
Two pickles.

That is just good. Problem is that you eat 6....

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me, it's mayo, lettuce, super thin vidalia slice, and tomato on the bottom, and ketchup on top - medium rare

kms

Cyburbian
A beef farmer makes burgers at our farmers' market. My Saturday breakfast is a cheeseburger. Cheese is all I need on a burger.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Tried Shake Shack for the first time last night. Good burger. To me, it is hard to mess up a burger. My wife loves In-N-Out when we eat there but my inner Clara Peller comes out and asks "Where's the beef!?"

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I like burgers. I'd be lying if I said I had a favorite. One that's up there is the Fred Burger with Cheese from Fred's Texas Cafe, a local joint. Nothing fancy about it. Just a burger with pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion & mustard with hand cut fries (skin left on). I wash it down with a "ColdAss" beer, usually a Modelo.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Like Doohickie, it's hard for me to pick a favorite burger or a favorite topping. As long as there's no ketchup or mayo or tomatoes, I'm happy! The only other thing I don't like are the comically large burgers. Really, anything over about a half pound is too much for me. A quarter pound is perfect, a third of a pound is about my upper limit... but then give me another quarter pounds worth of various toppings: fried eggs, all sorts of cheeses, some fried salami or pastrami, onions (raw or caramelized or even the occasional onion ring), mushrooms, various mustards or BBQ sauce, pickles, hot peppers, lettuce or some other green, bacon, olives, cucumbers... I love 'em all! There is a local place here that makes awesome burgers and has one with a roasted garlic onion jam that is awesome!

For chain places I really like Red Robin but there is only one near us and there is always a line out the door and a 40 minute wait. Smashburger is pretty great as far as fast food goes. Our favorite here is to go to one of the tiny little flat top diners where you can buy a basket full of sliders, White Castle style.

And any discussion of hamburgers is incomplete without talking about McDonald's

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We go to Red Robin occasionally. I'm not really a fan. They're fine, but they're just kind of corporateburgers if you know what I mean. We go there because my vegetarian wife likes their sweet potato fries.

For chains, I like In-N-Out, Sonic (the burgers themselves are meh, but their toppings are always very fresh), and Whataburger. Five Guys is good too (although I've had some bad customer service in the one near me).

Big Owl

Cyburbian
At home and most restaurants, I prefer a burger with lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Condiments are dependent on my mood but are limited to mayo, mustard, and/or ketchup. I do from time to time order a blue cheese burger at a certain taproom. My guilty pleasure at some local greasy spoons is a cheese burger with chili, slaw, onion, and mustard.... It's a nostalgic go to food for me.

cb2.png

Attachments

Bubba

Cyburbian
Prescott Brewing Company (downtown Prescott, AZ), the Triple Threat Jalapeño Burger - jalapeño jack cheese, jalapeño bacon, crispy fried jalapeño slices, chipotle mayo. Wash it down with their pale ale or IPA (or both, but probably consecutively and not at the same time). You're welcome.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I generally enjoy a classic burger with cheese, lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato and mayo. Never ketchup. I do like the Banzai burger at Red Robin though.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I prefer hamburgers on my Traeger but will admit, it is hard to mess up a restaurant burger. Smoke for an hour then jump up to 350 to finish. They don't shrink or dry out like on the gas grill.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I prefer hamburgers on my Traeger but will admit, it is hard to mess up a restaurant burger. Smoke for an hour then jump up to 350 to finish. They don't shrink or dry out like on the gas grill.
Traeger's are almost as good as Yoder's.... ;) (I kid because my buddy and I go back and forth constantly about this...Traeger's are great too)

I love burgers on my Yoder. If you do a sacrilegious mix of beef and bacon in your patty, it is amazing how you can turn a burger into a fine dining experience with some smoke.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Traeger's are almost as good as Yoder's.... ;) (I kid because my buddy and I go back and forth constantly about this...Traeger's are great too)

I love burgers on my Yoder. If you do a sacrilegious mix of beef and bacon in your patty, it is amazing how you can turn a burger into a fine dining experience with some smoke.
I have done this...and those are fightin' words!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Plain. Meat and bun. No cheese, no condiments. The way the Hamburger Gods intended. I just want to taste the meat, not experience sensory overload. I’m weird like that.

Who makes good plain burgers, in my opinion? Five Guys, Fatburger, Whataburger, Blake’s (New Mexico chain), and my mother-in-law. I don’t live in a good “burger city”, considering it’s known as the birthplace of modern vegetarian cuisine, so I have to hit the road to get my fix.

Lowland

Cyburbian
When I go for a fancy burger, it's cheese, crispy fried onions, a fried egg, and some sort of garlic aioli.

For fast food burgers, I keep it plain with just meat and cheese.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The best burger I ever had in my life was at a bar called Louie's. Everyone has eaten at a Louie's at some point. Maybe it was in college after a night of heavy drinking. Maybe you were travelling and all the respectable restaurants were closing, but for whatever reason the ancient carbon-scored grill at this watering hole made the most delicious hamburger you had in your life.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
The best burger I ever had in my life was at a bar called Louie's. Everyone has eaten at a Louie's at some point. Maybe it was in college after a night of heavy drinking. Maybe you were travelling and all the respectable restaurants were closing, but for whatever reason the ancient carbon-scored grill at this watering hole made the most delicious hamburger you had in your life.
For me it was Naps in Hamilton, Montana. https://napsgrill.com/ Since I was there, they appear to have fancied it up. My memory is of way more formica and chrome. But that burger...

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Plain. Meat and bun. No cheese, no condiments. The way the Hamburger Gods intended. I just want to taste the meat, not experience sensory overload. I’m weird like that.
My youngest daughter orders her burgers that way; however, she will add cheese if they have cheese worthy of gracing her burger. If it's cooked to order, she'll request medium well. She would love to have it medium but I will not allow her to go cooler than medium well that with hamburger meat. I can tell if it's good if she doesn't ask for ranch dressing to dip it in after the 1st bite.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Don't eat many burgers anymore but when I am in Central Iowa I got to get me some B-Bops. Superb.Bops.jpg

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Don't eat many burgers anymore but when I am in Central Iowa I got to get me some B-Bops. Superb.View attachment 49109
Never heard of B-Bops while I was in DSM. About the time it started I was on my way out of Iowa with my parents moving several years later. Never did get to the east side much until I had a girlfriend over there. Looks good and will have to try when I get back to the 515.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Never heard of B-Bops while I was in DSM. About the time it started I was on my way out of Iowa with my parents moving several years later. Never did get to the east side much until I had a girlfriend over there. Looks good and will have to try when I get back to the 515.
Yah I was wondering what you thought. Looks like there are only 11 locations either in DSM metro or Ames. Got hooked on them when I was in the process of killing myself as the Director in Ames. They are always fresh; that helps a lot.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Yah I was wondering what you thought. Looks like there are only 11 locations either in DSM metro or Ames. Got hooked on them when I was in the process of killing myself as the Director in Ames. They are always fresh; that helps a lot.
About as far east as I got aside from downtown and the girlfriend in '90 was Porky's on Douglas just west of Beaver. Had a great tenderloin sandwich. Used to spend summer nights there on Cruise Night with the old cars - two friend has cars they would show. That location is no longer there but I guess another is open.