• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Hand-drafting in arch ed

Kristy

As part of a persuasion essay for school, I have to present arguments for and against hand-drafting still being present in the cirriculum. Can anyone give me some good opinions or places to find info on it?

Deborah

I am currently interning and am glad that I took both a hand and a computer drafting class while in school. Most of the work I do is on the computer and all the construction documents are done by computer in my firm, but many of the initial design ideas and other exhibits are still hand drawn. It is very useful to be able to choose which media and be able to have a good output either way. I feel by eliminating the hand-drafting from the curriculum, many schools aren't completely preparing students for their career. It also makes students dependent on the computer, when many times hand drawn exhibits and drawings are what a client may want.

WA Planner

I have some experience staffing design review committees, and I can say with certainty, that there is no replacement for a quality architect who can create hand-drawn concepts while at the table.

Jeremy

I agree STRONGLY with both prior posts.

I will also add that I firmly believe that one has first to learn HOW to draw. You learn how to read lineweight; how to prioritize the information by drawing by hand. This is particularly important when there are many firms which still utilize CAD software which does not display line thickness until plotted. Learning first by hand allows one to visualize an end product when drawing within the computer.

chaitanya

i agree....nothing can replace the hand....
the mind works best in tandem with the hand....the computerr is a drafting tool.....definately a great technological timesaver.....but i still prefer the intial project stage to be in the hands of the hands