• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Happy Boxing Day!

Hey kids - hope everyone enjoyed their holiday. I'm the only planner on staff today, and one of maybe 4 people that actually made it into our building so far, with the roads in the crappy condition they are. It was rather wild here in Albany yesterday.

Anyway, happy boxing day to our Canadian, British, Aussie and Kiwi friends!

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
How much snow did you get? My parents live near Kingston and were expecting 12-18 or so.

I think the final tally in Colonie was about 24", but parts of the capital region had up to 36". At one point it fell 5" in an hour. My back is really killing me from shovelling! It's really pretty out today, i wish i had a dig. camera to show you guys the winter wonderland out my office window.

el Guapo

Capitalist
PlannerGirl said:
would someone tell me what Boxing Day is all about?
Just a guess: The Canuk version of Festivis - with a special emphasis on the airing of grievances?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
KMateja said:
Anyway, happy boxing day to our Canadian, British, Aussie and Kiwi friends!
There's South African planners floating around here, too. Let's not forget those American planners working in exotic foreign lands, like Mexico and Ukraine.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
EG - They are Canadian thus they have no grievances (and thus no need for military forces).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Green Christmas

KMateja said:
I think the final tally in Colonie was about 24", but parts of the capital region had up to 36". At one point it fell 5" in an hour. My back is really killing me from shovelling! It's really pretty out today, i wish i had a dig. camera to show you guys the winter wonderland out my office window.
Its wierd around here. Every once in a while we wont have snow for the holidays, and everything is a dingy brown, dead grass etc.. This year, the grass is still green. *sigh*

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
would someone tell me what Boxing Day is all about?
It's a day where Canadians beat the hell out of each other ... the "Airing of Grievances" part of Festivus.

Seriously, it's the day that a British custom took place, where the servants and masters of a house would switch roles for a day.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
yuo mean its not the day i get to box the ears of folks i dislike? or box up the christmas stuff?

damn it!

sigh

ugh i dont want to be at work today!

statler

Cyburbian
Is the US the only English-speaking country that does not celebrate Boxing Day?

Re: Re: Happy Boxing Day!

Dan said:

There's South African planners floating around here, too. Let's not forget those American planners working in exotic foreign lands, like Mexico and Ukraine.
Sorry! No offense to our exotic foreign Cyburbanites! i didn't realize that those in South Africa also celebrated boxing day!

PlannerGirl said:

ugh i dont want to be at work today!
ME EITHER! Rob just came in to tell me that he's going home and taking the rest of the day off. rat bastard! we've not had a single work related phone call all morning, and not one desk customer. sigh. I hate being littlest planner on the totem pole!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:

I hear ya! Although, it'll be nice once I qualify to take vacation! :)
I'm banking the vacation for summer when its nice out and I can spend a week lounging on the lakefront with El Guapo's sister:

donk

Cyburbian
Here is my trick for avoiding going to work on days that I don't want to be there.

Go in to work.
Get the office cell phone.
Head out on "inspections" and have an accomplice in the office forward calls to you.

I have been out hiking in the woods, repairing my bike or things around the house and had calls sent to me that my partner in crime knows I can answer without having books or maps in front of me.

Really only works well when the "boss" is off though.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
gkmo62u said:
How much snow did you get? My parents live near Kingston and were expecting 12-18 or so.
I ended up staying home yesterday, as my daughter's day care close for the day....about 26" in Concord....and it was falling fast on Wednesday....it took us almost 20 minutes to make the usually 5 minute drive from my parent's house to mine.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Boxing Day Sales?

I guess seeing as the U.S. doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, there are no Boxing Day sales. Up here, the 26th of December has become retail pandemonium - every store has huge (some better than others) sales. Electronic items are usually the big thing that everyone's looking for.

I hit the Eaton Centre at lunch today and picked up a nice pair of brown "preston" loafers at Banana Republic for $50 - regular $150. Apparently BR is getting out of the shoe business... Also got a couple of nice shirts for $40 each.

The mall didn't seem that crowded though - some years it has been absolutely packed solid, with lineups to get into every store.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Boxing Day Sales?

Tranplanner said:
I guess seeing as the U.S. doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, there are no Boxing Day sales. Up here, the 26th of December has become retail pandemonium - every store has huge (some better than others) sales. Electronic items are usually the big thing that everyone's looking for.
Well we dont call it that, but there are huge sales going on 50-70% off. I had to stop by the amll over lunch to make an exchange and it was a madhouse. Good thing I dont punch a clock...

I was so tempted to go to Macy's before work this morning and pick some things up, but the wallet's feeling pretty light in the Christmas aftermath!