• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Happy MLK Jr Day

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
anyone in these united states enjoying the day off?

just cleaning the house and going to the gym (i just joined yesterday...woo hoo).

nerudite

Cyburbian
Ohhhhhhhhh! Now I know why it's so freakin' dead around here.

I hope everyone is having a good day off.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Working, but slacking. Reading news articles and doing some needed filing. People keep asking me if I can check with "the City" about these plans or that requirement. They appear shocked when I tell them that government is closed. Now I know AZ made much news when it quit recognizing MLK day as a holiday, but it is back now. Still seems that most people don't recognize it unless they are a government or banking institution.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Not all government employees have the day off. I'm stuck here in the office. With so many other people taking the day off, it is difficult for me to get anything done. I would be better off not coming in (or maybe leaving early?).

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm at the office as well.

I think my employer is one of a handful of NY municipalities that don't offer today as a day off.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We've got MLK day off, so I slept in late, and I'm working on the site. It's been snowing all weekend; about 5 cm came down here while I was sleeping last night.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Dan said:
We've got MLK day off, so I slept in late, and I'm working on the site. It's been snowing all weekend; about 5 cm came down here while I was sleeping last night.
5 cm? Dan, you are in the USA. We don't use that metric system around except for 2 liter (or litre?) Mt. Dews and car engine size.;)

Working today so that we get the day after Thanksgiving off. But we have Columbus day off - like I care about Columbus.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Us Canucks are in that long, slow stretch between New Year's and Easter with no stat holidays. It sucks, big time.

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Us Canucks are in that long, slow stretch between New Year's and Easter with no stat holidays. It sucks, big time.
Except for snow days and ice fishing.

Got bored at home, some kids shovelled me out after the plough went by so I stopped in on the way to the grocery store.

JNL

Cyburbian
Um what is this MLK Jr day you speak of?

I had yesterday off work because it was Wellington Anniversary day. I had to look up what the anniversary is of, and it turns out it is the anniversary of the arrival of the ship Aurora in Wellington on January 22nd, 1840 with 150 New Zealand Company settlers, after a four-month voyage from Gravesend, England. And I learnt that all the settler ships are remembered in Wellington street names. You learn something every day huh!

I stayed in bed reading til midday (anyone read the Hornblower books?), then drove to my parents place for the afternoon where I washed my car, played with kittens, ate pizza and bored my family with photos of towns and buildings :)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I'm at the office as well.

I think my employer is one of a handful of NY municipalities that don't offer today as a day off.
...you know what would suck?...to learn that i DIDN'T have today off when i go to work tomorrow and everyone wants to know where i was...

ludes98

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
We have no company holiday until Memorial Day, 5/31!

JNL

Cyburbian
Thanks SGB. I shoulda figured that out!

ludes98 said:
We have no company holiday until Memorial Day, 5/31!
Bummer! I've just had a 3 day weekend, then we get another for Waitangi Day on Feb 6, then a 4 day weekend at Easter, then Anzac Day April 25.... :D

But, we only get 3 weeks annual leave so I guess it balances out. They are looking at making it 4 weeks. How many weeks do you get ludes98?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I stayed in bed reading til midday (anyone read the Hornblower books?)
I read the first one some years back, and since I saw a handful of the episodes on A&E before moving to a place without cable, have wanted to read the rest. Are they good?

...played with kittens...
No... won't say it...

But, we only get 3 weeks annual leave so I guess it balances out. They are looking at making it 4 weeks.
Vacation is not guaranteed in the US of A. It is not uncommon for a person to not get any vacation their first year, or perhaps only a week after they have been employed for six months. Most people do not get more than two weeks until after they have worked somewhere for 3-5 years, after which they may get an additional week. It is usually ten years before somebody gets four weeks of vacation.

The US is far behind the resto of the Western (and Down Under) world when it comes to taking time off from work. I even have a board member who thinks I should be constantly in touch with the office when I am on vacation - not going to happen! I have also made the decision that I will not accept any position offered to me without three weeks of vacation, but not everyone has that luxury.

ludes98

Cyburbian
JNL- In my experience US companies don't give that much time off. I currently get 8 designated holidays, 2 floating, plus 10 days of vacation. I have 6 sick days, but those are "only to be used as sick days." Yeah right! I get a 3rd week of vacation after 5 years and a 4th after 10 years. No one except the owners (though the company isn't 10yrs old :)) have 4 weeks and they never use them. One positive is that our vacation rolls over to following years if you don't use it. It is not uncommon in our office for people to check in while on vacation, or take work with them. Some people even come into the office for a couple hours if they stay in town on their vacation.

JNL

Cyburbian
Wow that sucks! And we think we've got it bad with only 3 weeks guaranteed! Legislation is currently in progress to ensure everyone gets 4 weeks (which will bring us in line with Australia I think), in addition to our 10 stat days, plus I get 10 sick days.

Taking work on vacation?? That doesn't sound very healthy. But I know my Dad does that(a senior manager in IT), and he takes work home most nights, and is on call most of the time. That's pretty typical for people in senior positions here.

Cardinal re Hornblower, I have started with the 7th book out of 8 - '(The?) Commodore' and am really enjoying it, so I think I'll go back to the beginning after this one. I'm just up to the bit where France has declared war on Russia.

And no Cardinal, no kittens were harmed during my visit :p

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
JNL said:
anyone read the Hornblower books
Seen the A & E movies based upon the books - pretty good.

Generous Holiday schedule :-}
Had MLK off,
Get Presidents Day off,
Get Good Friday off,
Get Primary Election Day off

JNL

Cyburbian
No I haven't seen any of the movies but I'm aware of them. I tend to avoid seeing movies based on books as they're often disappointing, or if I've seen the movie I won't read the book. But I hear the series is pretty good.

I'm at work, but refused to work today. Surprisingly, I haven't been slacking here today. Hmmm.......maybe Cyburbia is my true job!......

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm working but I paid tribute to Dr. King and his efforts by listening to the MLK Radio internet station via Radio@Netscape Plus most of today. The station played broadcasts of his various speeches and interviews, as well as songs of tribute by various groups. :-}

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Had the day off and spent it doing absolutely nothing. Still getting over a really bad cold from last week, so it was nice.

My 2 cents on vacations: I have 4.5 weeks of sick/vacation, use however needed/wanted. In another 18 months it will go up to 5.5 weeks. If I last another 5 years, up to 6. We don't get enough holidays (it's a dry stretch now, until 5/31), but the vacation time is great.

Oh, and I get an extra week of "admin" leave for having to attend some evening meetings.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Ahhhhhh... I love Alberta. We get Family Day off (same day as President's day in the States)... it's the Monday after Valentine's Day, so it will make for a nice loooong weekend. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNL said:
Wow that sucks! And we think we've got it bad with only 3 weeks guaranteed!
Something I don't like, either, but the labor movement here in the US hasn't been as aggressive with pursuing vacation time as over in Europe.

I had one job without comp time, which meant I was working 60+ hours a week with only two weeks of vacation time. We also worked on a bunch of other holidays, too, so there was very little time off. At my new job, we get time-and-a-half for comp time, plus time for commuting to night meetings. If I have a two hour night meeting, with a 30 minute trip between home and the meeting, I get four and a half hours of comp time.

New England has a bunch of additional official holidays on top of those of the rest of the nation, like Patriot's Day, Bennington Battle Day, Town Meeting Day, Bunker Hill Day, Victory Day, and Evacuation Day. I think Good Friday is also official in New England. Seabishop might be able to elaborate more.

Cities with large Catholic populations might have some saint days off; they're not official, but workers are just allowed to blow the day off. I don't know if it's still ths way in Buffalo, but years ago Italian-Americans could take St. Joseph's Day off, Irish-Americans could take St Patrick's Day off, and Polish-Americans could take off for Dyngus Day. Chicago has Pulaski Day off. Unusually, the predominantly Jewish municipalities around me don't take high holy days off; they follow a Christian-based civil calendar.

I think MLK Day is celebrated as Robert E. Lee Day in Mississippi. There's also some talk of remove Columbus Day from the list of official holidays, since he was an Evil White Oppressor, and replace it with 9-11.

JNL

Cyburbian
I also have flexi-time which may be similar to your comp time, which means that if I work an extra hour or two one day, I can start late or finish early another day to compensate. This can be saved up, up to 6 hours I think.

I can also take time-in-lieu which can be accrued (like flexi-time but for amounts over 6 hours, and gets officially recorded) or get paid overtime (time and a half), but this has to be agreed to on a project by project basis.

And then there's my Cyburbia time which is just like a little holiday... ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
Statutory Holidays

JNL said:
How many weeks do you get ..
Sorry to draw the off-topic discussion back up but I thought I should confirm - we do have a minimum 4 weeks annual leave mandated (Federal Statute). There are a number of industries where 5 & 6 weeks is creeping in, such as mining. There is also almost universal recognition of something called Long Service Leave. Where, after 10 years service you receive a block of leave, usually between 13 and 15 weeks. That leave then accrues at 1.1 weeks per annum to 15 or 20 years service at which time it goes to 2.2 weeks per annum.

On top of that a rostered day off per three weeks or two weeks is also pretty normal, though that is usually accrued by working extra hours per day.

We have 10 public holidays per year though many localities have an extra day for their local agricutural show, race day or foundation day (though only one in each location). We receive Newcastle Show Day but we open for business with a minimum staff. Sydney receives Show Day for the Royal Easter Show and Melbourne - Melbourne Cup Day.

Our next public holiday is Australia Day on 26 January (also referred to as invasion day by many Kooris).

To toss in the policy of the U.S. military: theoretically, my husband gets 30 days of annual leave. You can accrue up to 60 days and then, when the fiscal year ends, if you have more than 60 days accrued, you lose the "extra" leave. My husband takes "use or lose" leave most years. He is always bumping the ceiling. And I believe he already cashed in leave -- something you can do once in your career, as I understand it. That means he traded probably 30 or 60 days of leave in for its cash value.

Traditionally, he takes a lot of time off when we move and then we travel and do stuff on our way to some place new. He is a workaholic and usually deemed to be "indispensible" at work, so it winds up being extremely difficult for him to take a lot of time off at any given duty station. A lot of people in the military take off so much time that they have to pay for the 'extra" leave they took that they weren't entitled to.

They also get Federal holidays off, and you might get a 3 or 4 day weekend if your work hours have been particularly long. However, all that "generous" leave isn't as generous as it sounds when you consider some other military policies: you are legally entitled to 3 square meals a day, your mail, and 4 hours of sleep. If you have been awake for more than 24 hours due to the demands of the mission, they do not hold you accountable for what comes out of your mouth. (A friend of mine with a military husband cited this when I whigged out in another forum while I was awake for 40 hours straight, coming off of medication. lol.)

My husband typically works days that are 10 to 12 hours long, assuming there is no "crisis" and he actually gets out of there on time. A typical military week is in the neighborhood of 60 hours, in part due to the PT requirements (that lovely practice of showing up at work at about 6am and exercising before you shower, have breakfast, and start your work day). EDIT: I didn't even mention "field time" or deployments!

I, of course, either "have every day off" or "no time off", depending upon your view of homemaking as a profession. It has its good points and bad points.

I am "on call", 24/7 and there are no "vacations". I know some families where the kids are routinely left with the grandparents or whatever. I have left my kids precisly twice: 11 1/2 years ago, for 6 days, I left them with my parents. It was something of an emergency. And I left my kids with their dad for one month the summer of 2002, when I went off to GIS school. I came back and got them and took them with me for the 2nd month of GIS school, something that others in the program were dumb-founded by. No one else really could take care of my kids when they were little. I had a lot of trouble arranging daycare. For the most part, it was "all on me" to raise my sons, particularly my oldest son.

On the other hand, when my husband went to Saudi Arabia, I went and visited relatives for several weeks: my "job" (i.e. my kids) came with me. The blatant envy of one of my sister's friends during that trip made me genuinely appreciate my alternative lifestyle. On two different occasions, I also went to stay with my folks for an extended period when my husband went to school at the same military base where my dad retired. I figured out at some point where to draw the line and tell people "no" and not accept their assumption that I was "free" to do 'favors" for everyone under the sun because I had no "job" (honey, I WORK -- I just don't get PAID, thanks).

I have learned to separate the concepts of "pay" and "hours worked". I have made money as a landlord and I rehab old furniture and ... I add to the bottom line in a number of ways. None of them have anything to do with keeping a schedule or getting a paycheck. We are far better off than we would have been had I "worked" (ie had a job with a paycheck). I once saw some information on a program for kids like mine. The weekly cost was more than my husband's weekly income.

And I firmly believe that the results I have gotten for my kids are better than what any program could give me. I base this assumption partly on the fact that people with kids like mine think very highly of my ideas about how to deal with such kids. They write me from time to time and ask if they can forward my comments to a friend with such a child. Or they write me simply to thank me for my insights. A friend with a business catering to the needs of such families recently asked me if she could pass on my name and e-mail address to someone in need of guidance for such a child. So, given the dreck that is out there and how desperate many families seem to be, I can't imagine that my kids would be thriving or that we wouldn't simply be bankrupt if I had not stayed home with them all these years.

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Not a technical holiday in NH....but took the day off anyway. Spent it on the slopes tubing with Kylie and Planner Groupie.....

donk

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Unusually, the predominantly Jewish municipalities around me don't take high holy days off; they follow a Christian-based civil calendar.
But I bet trying to get anything done may be difficult. I bet alot of people use their comp time to leave work early or to take days off of work.

The tailor I used to go to always made a point of reminding everyone to try their good clothes on well before the holidays, as he was not working.

Try telling people months in advance that you won't attend a night meeting because you have something to do.

As for my job. I just moved to 4 weeks vacation for this year (3 to start, 4 in teh fifth year), plus lieu time (not allowed to take a full day off, but can use it for personal time). This is the worst part about looking for a new job, being told I'll only get 2 weeks vacation.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I celebrated MLK day by taking a couple of kids that had never shot a gun to the rifle range. We discussed how a prepared society never need fear oppression and how non-violence is the way to effect change in society. Really.

I'm glad we celebrate MLK day.

Can anyone tell me how we are ever going to become one nation (under God) if the King Family feels they have to dis the President to keep the Reverend's Vison? What the hell was that?

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
Try telling people months in advance that you won't attend a night meeting because you have something to do.
Our Municipal Planning Commission scheduled a meeting for December 23 this year. I had already booked (and received approval) on the time off, and so did the Senior Development Officer and the Director, so all three of the seniors were out. We told the MPC chair that we weren't coming back in as it was our holiday vacation, and so they cancelled the meeting. I guess it works if everyone sticks together!

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
. I guess it works if everyone sticks together!
When you are the only one, does not work real well. Then get asked how long that it has been a holiday, oh about 4000 years.

At least it adds one more thing to my poison work place defense/law suit when I'm fired. ;)

We purposely don't schedule anything in December to avoid all of the Christmas stuff and vacations.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
donk said:
We purposely don't schedule anything in December to avoid all of the Christmas stuff and vacations.
I seem to get complaints each time I schedule an item in the same week of any holiday.

donk

Cyburbian
We take it one step further, and are careful not to schedule advertisements or public notices around Christmas or other holidays that people travel on.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Because this is a university town, nothing gets scheduled for spring break week. Ironically, almost nobody on any city board or commission has any ties to the university.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Kentucky Oaks is run the day before the Derby and is known as "Louisville's Day at the Races". It is so popular that schools are officially closed on Oaks Day because they can't get enough substitutes to cover for regular teachers who are at the track :-D It's the first day off I schedule every year.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dan said:
New England has a bunch of additional official holidays on top of those of the rest of the nation, like Patriot's Day, Bennington Battle Day, Town Meeting Day, Bunker Hill Day, Victory Day, and Evacuation Day. I think Good Friday is also official in New England. Seabishop might be able to elaborate more.
I think most of those are MA specific - one of them is only celebrated in Suffolk County. RI is the only state to celebrate Victory (over Japan) Day for some reason. We get Good Friday off but I think unions mostly got it off to "represent" Easter.

Does Utah get any special days?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
donk said:
But I bet trying to get anything done may be difficult. I bet alot of people use their comp time to leave work early or to take days off of work.
Maybe. Beachwood pretty much has to keep a regular civil calendar, because there are many shopping centers and office parks in the city; the residents may be Jewish, but the shoppers and commuters may not always be Jewish. Beachwood is very affluent, so many city employees may be goyim who aren't residents. Also, the city's Jewish population is dominated by Reform and Conservative practitioners; they're a bit more flexible about holidays and Shabbat.

I work in an area that doesn't have a large Jewish population, BTW.

I wonder about cities that are almost entirely Orthodox or Hasidic, though, like Kiryas Joel, New York.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I thought Massachusetts had it good with stuff like Evacuation Day, Paul Revere Day and George Washington Slept Here Day ... check out Puerto Rico's official government holiday list. Very Latin indeed; almost every other week has a three day weekend!

Jan. 1 (2) - New Year's Day / Closed
Jan. 6 (2) - Three Kings' Day / Closed
Jan. 12 Eugenio María de Hostos' Birthday (second Monday in January) / Closed
Jan. 19 - Martin Luther King's Birthday (third Monday in January) / Closed
Feb. 16 - Presidents' Day (third Monday in February) / Closed
March 22 - Emancipation Day / Closed
April 9 (2) - Good Friday / Closed
April 11 (2) - Easter Day / Closed
April 19 - José de Diego's Birthday (third Monday in April) / Closed
May 9 - Mother's Day (second Sunday in May) / Closed
May 31 - Memorial Day (last Monday in May) / Closed
June 20 (2) - Father's Day (third Sunday in June) / Closed
July 5 - Independence Day (United States) (July 4) / Closed
July 19 - Luis Muñoz Rivera's Birthday (third Monday in July) / Closed
July 26 - Constitution Day (Puerto Rico) (July 25) / Closed
July 27 - José Celso Barbosa's Birthday / Closed
Sept. 6 - Labor Day (first Monday in September) / Closed
Oct. 12 - Columbus Day / Closed
Nov. 2 (2) Election Day / Closed
Nov. 11 - Veteran's Day / Closed
Nov. 19 - Discovery of Puerto Rico Day / Closed
Nov. 25 (2) Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November) / Closed
Dec. 25 (2) Christmas Day / Closed

donk

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I wonder about cities that are almost entirely Orthodox or Hasidic, though, like Kiryas Joel, New York.
I have family that lived for years in an area with a large hassidic population (Lakewood, NJ). The only noticable thing was that the signals at crossing lights where motion sensitive so that you did not have to "make fire". Everything else seemed to be typical suburban New Jersey.

I know that there are neighbourhoods in and around Toronto that close down pretty tight Friday night and don't reopen until Sunday. (Bathurst Manor, Thornhill)

I also remember that York University and many law schools (Windsor for sure) function on a joint Christian / Jewish Holiday Calendar.