• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Happy Pandemic Thanksgiving! 2020 edition

gtpeach

Cyburbian
It doesn't look like we have a 2020 Thanksgiving thread yet, so here it is!

What's everyone doing to make the holidays festive and fun this year since the large family gatherings aren't advised? Are y'all keeping it traditional, or mixing it up since it's an unprecedented year and nothing feels the same anyway? Any major family drama as you try to figure out plans?

Zoom is suspending it's 40-minute time limit on its free accounts on Thanksgiving Day to help families meet together virtually, which I actually think is a really nice gesture.

We're not going to visit family at all, even to meet them outside for a Thanksgiving virtual high five. With cases surging, and being in the one bubble of the state that is still doing well, we don't want to take any unnecessary risks (especially since not all of our immediate families that we'd like to see are taking the level of precautions that would make us slightly more comfortable).

We're doing a mixture of traditional Thanksgiving sides, but not having turkey (we're going to make crab cakes). I did make a turkey breast on Sunday, though, so we got it in for the general season.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
This year will be similar to last year for us. My dad is coming over. I'm cooking turkey and some sides, and have ordered some other items (stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc). Ice cream for dessert.

Last year dad and I went to the movies while Hubby watched the game. We won't be doing that this year. I think we'll all watch the game for a while, then Zoom or facetime with my sister overseas. This year we'll not linger around the table talking - we'll eat, then spread out in the living room.

Not the absolute best scenario, but I refuse to leave my dad alone if at all possible. He is taking precautions where he is, and so are we, so we feel safe doing it this way. No long travel is required.

My mom and other sister are not invited. They do not take precautions, and I can't guarantee that they would be nice at the table, either.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
That sounds reasonable. I'd actually be fine sharing a meal with my parents. My mom has visited us a few times, and she helped take care of PeachFuzz when I was in the hospital for a week, so that kind of blew our distancing protocols with her. But my dad is very, very cautious and he isn't going to participate in any family gathering regardless, so immediate family it is.

I am trying to look out for my single friends, though, especially those that don't live near other family.

Planit

Cyburbian
Not exactly sure right now. I fear the in-laws will want to do something together which Mrs. P really doesn't want.

I suggested we might try a cornish hen for each of us, but that was met with blank stares.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The ex was pressuring the kids to do the regular family routine at her dad's house, but now two of the extended family have been diagnosed, so that is now off. I'm very relieved, to be honest.

Going to cook the "extremely slow roasted turkey breast" recipe I found in the Washington Post (170'F for 8-9 hours). Should be nice and calm day.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My plans got cancelled thanks to the virus, so I'm flying solo for the holidays. I ordered some turkey from Honey Baked ham. My mom sent me the instructions for watergate salad, so I'll try to make it. I'll pray get a small pumpkin pie and cool whip. The rest I'll have to think about.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Covid is exploding in DFW. My son and his wife were going to come over (and they have the week off so they were talking about staying a few days), but he's a teacher, my wife's a teacher, and even though they're careful they could be incubating Covid at any moment. Also, my wife is supposed to have knee replacement surgery in four weeks (if elective surgery is still a thing). So I think I'm going to call it off. My wife is looking at taking leave leading up to the surgery so she can limit her exposure.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My plans got cancelled thanks to the virus, so I'm flying solo for the holidays. I ordered some turkey from Honey Baked ham. My mom sent me the instructions for watergate salad, so I'll try to make it. I'll pray get a small pumpkin pie and cool whip. The rest I'll have to think about.

Pumpkin pie is easy to make, especially if you buy a pre-made crust. And you can also buy actual whipping cream to make your own whipped cream. If you're in a bind, I'd be happy to send you very simple instructions. :)

I'm sorry that you're on your own, though. It can make holidays hard. It won't be like this forever.

kms

Cyburbian
I'll be in NC celebrating the birth of my first grandbaby and basically sheltering in place at my daughter's house. I'm packing travel food and will only stop for fuel and comfort. I have to quarantine when I return and am allowed to work from home during that time.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Pumpkin pie is easy to make, especially if you buy a pre-made crust. And you can also buy actual whipping cream to make your own whipped cream. If you're in a bind, I'd be happy to send you very simple instructions. :)

I'm sorry that you're on your own, though. It can make holidays hard. It won't be like this forever.
Thanks.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'll be in NC celebrating the birth of my first grandbaby and basically sheltering in place at my daughter's house. I'm packing travel food and will only stop for fuel and comfort. I have to quarantine when I return and am allowed to work from home during that time.
I'm glad you'll be able to spend time with the baby! I'm sure your daughter will appreciate having some help, too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just got a Portal so we can "share'' Thanksgiving with the inlaws. But yeah, it'll just be the three of us doing Turkey Day in our house.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We're heading south to the ancestral homeland - we'll spend a couple of nights at my sister's place, and possibly having Turkey Day lunch or dinner with a couple of other relatives...all pretty low key and safe. My aunt on the other side of the family that lives for hosting the large family gatherings is trying to schedule several much smaller meet-ups between Thanksgiving and Christmas - she informed me via text yesterday of my two options for a Saturday in December to grab lunch with her and my uncle.

dw914er

Cyburbian
After a few months of COVID, we all caved towards opening our bubbles to at least see our local siblings and parents, so we'll do that for Thanksgiving.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, BY FAR, so I'm really pretty bummed that it won't be the same as normal -- which is 40-50 family members coming in and out all throughout the day. At this point, I'm basically playing it by ear if I will celebrate with 5-6 who I know are taking the necessary precautions or if we'll stick with just the immediate family.

I hate COVID and all that comes with it but am determined to remain thankful. I am infinitely blessed.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by far as well, but I always tell my wife that the only thing that could improve it is if we didn't have to see our families on that day, so it's looking to be a pretty good one here this year!

This year would have been Thanksgiving with my side of the family and up until last week my brother was still planning to host. All of my siblings and their kids were planning to attend. So it would have been 20+ people crammed into my brother's house for the day. Most of my siblings don't seem too keen on wearing masks or social distancing. When he invited us I laughed and asked if he was being serious and then told him we definitely wouldn't be attending. And this was before our recent surge that began a few weeks back.

I talked to my parents a couple of years ago and my dad was still planning to my go but my mom had no desire to and told him that if he went, he'd have to move into their RV for a week or 10 days afterwards. My parents called me the next day to tell me they wouldn't be going after all. About an hour later I got a group text from my brother that he had decided to cancel.

We've got a turkey breast and we'll be making salad, mashed potatoes, candied yams, pies, fresh rolls, some green beans, cranberries, etc. Oh and fresh apple and pumpkin pies!

The weather is supposed to be relatively nice and we considered setting up a table in the garage and leaving the door open and inviting either my parents or my wife's parents but we've ultimately decided against that. I feel bad that our parents will be on their own but we're all healthy and they're all healthy and we want to keep it that way as long as we can. The weekend after Thanksgiving we usually take the kids to my parents to decorate Christmas cookies. We won't be doing that either this year but I think we'll do a whole bunch of them at home and then deliver some to the grandparents, some elderly aunts and uncles in the area, a couple elderly neighbors, and some friends.

Other than the food at home, I'll turn on a parade in the morning (even if it's not live or there are no fans; maybe I'll turn on one of the Cord and Tish Rose Parades from the past couple of years) and then the Lions game and since we'll be celebrating at our house I'll even keep the football playing on the TV when we serve dinner! After dinner we'll head out for a walk around the gardens at the campus of the Cranbrook school.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm more of a Thanksgiving person instead of Christmas. Bird Day isn't as hectic, plus, it's only about one or two days long. Thanksgiving doesn't have the expectations or baggage that Christmas has.

DVD

Cyburbian
Just my family and the wife's aunt. So 5. We never did a big turkey day, but I just don't have a big family.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just me, myself, & I - ordered dinner from local deli/caterer.
will call family.
If it is warm (above 50) & not raining go for a good walk.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, BY FAR, so I'm really pretty bummed that it won't be the same as normal -- which is 40-50 family members coming in and out all throughout the day. At this point, I'm basically playing it by ear if I will celebrate with 5-6 who I know are taking the necessary precautions or if we'll stick with just the immediate family.

I hate COVID and all that comes with it but am determined to remain thankful. I am infinitely blessed.
Every day this month our family has been practicing thankfulness at the dinner table. We call it 'three good things' where each person takes a minute or two to identify three things that happened that that person can find good in. For example, my three last night were: the weather was sunny and mid-60s, I got to do inspections outside in a nice rural part of town, and we'd gotten a delivery shopper that was very competent and diligent in finding our groceries, or suitable substitutes for items they didn't have.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My wife's side usually rents an old train depot in Lone Tree, Iowa that is now a senior center (yah, it's pretty cool) but that is not happening. 40-50 people. Maybe we will try a zoom meeting but damn I'll miss the dressing and gravy.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Just me, myself, & I - ordered dinner from local deli/caterer.
will call family.
If it is warm (above 50) & not raining go for a good walk.

I actually really enjoy quiet holidays. I hope it ends up being a lovely day for you, and I'm glad you have your dinner taken care of! :)

btrage

Cyburbian
Besides the wife and daughters, my FIL and BIL are coming over. Also my wife's sis and her husband and 3 little ones. This technically violates the recent Michigan Department of Health and Human Services order, but we've all spent time together frequently over the last 8 months.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Past few years it has just been our family unit and my parents (which are basically our family unit). So nothing different for us this year.

My mom will cook it all since she likes to do it.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
In-laws live a few miles away but have health issues. We are each cooking food but will have a hand-off to each other of various items and then go eat separately.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Well I got the pumpkin pie, a mini apple pie, whole berry cranberries, green beans and the ingredients for the watergate salad. I'll pick up the turkey Wednesday evening after work. They are predicting rain on Thursday, so the walk may or may not happen.

Planit

Cyburbian
From my BIL:

...we know you guys take the Covid stuff seriously, but we’ll be holding the standard gathering here...”

I’m letting Mrs. P handle this one.

Old Planner

I am going to drive 25 miles to my sister and brother-in-law as usual. They are pretty careful since he has risk factors. I only go to the grocery store as necessary. We stay six feet apart or use a mask when impractical. No hugging or touching. I have only seen them twice for birthdays in the past eight months. His son and future daughter-in-law (and her Papillion) will be coming down too. I will be wearing a mask while the "kids" are there except when eating. The table will be extended both to hold the food and to distance as much as possible. Turkey, cornbread and chestnut stuffing and dressing, Grandma's cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, gravy, roast buttered carrots and parsnips, canned greened bean casserole (yucky, but BIL loves it), roasted broccoli with parmesan shavings, Pandan honeycomb cake (DIL; may be a new tradition), sorghum-ginger cookies, mini pumpkin pies.

Friday we will do Christmas decorating. I do not decorate at home so it will be fun. And, hopefully, not deadly.

TOFB

Cyburbian
All festivities canceled so it will just be the wife and me. She is totally vegetarian but I want turkey. Probably get take out from the cafe down the street.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
On Thanksgiving Day my hubby and I will just chill and it'll be nice. I'll bake a couple of pies. We're going to have Thanksgiving dinner on Friday with all of our kids and my in-laws. They live two streets away and we see them 1-2 times a month.

I'm going to schedule a Zoom with my family but I'm going to set up a few games we can play, to see if that keeps things interesting.