• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Happy Patriot's Day

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
No such holiday up here.....only in MA I believe.....big sports day though.....Marathon, Sox-Yankees (playing now), and B's-Habs game 7!

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Funny that it's Patriot's Day...I had another dream about Texas restoring itself as the Republic of Texas. I like those dreams.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]freewaytincan, I don't want to ruin your dream, but Texas and some other states tried that some years ago. A very wise man found that there is no provision for dissolution of this great confderation of states in the Constitution. Needless to say, it ended badly for those that wanted to leave.[/OT]

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
[OT]freewaytincan, I don't want to ruin your dream, but Texas and some other states tried that some years ago. A very wise man found that there is no provision for dissolution of this great confderation of states in the Constitution. Needless to say, it ended badly for those that wanted to leave.[/OT]
And we still get the short end of the stick...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]
freewaytincan said:
Funny that it's Patriot's Day...I had another dream about Texas restoring itself as the Republic of Texas. I like those dreams.
Texas ... despite its shortcomings, I can't help but love the place. Hill Country, the deserts of West Texas, the badlands in the panhandle, the Cadillac Ranch, and little towns with names like Dime Box and Cut n' Shoot. However, if you insist on leaving, just be sure to take hEll Paso with you, okay? Please .... pretty please?

[/ot]

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
No way, Jorge. Mexico can have El Paso, so far as I'm concerned. And in that list of towns, you forgot Gun Barrel City.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Let's get this straight, two of the last three presidents have been from Texas. Three of the last eight have been from Texas and yet Texas is getting the short shrift? Most of the oil and natural gas coming into the US passes through Texas and it has the 2nd largest economy within the US and yet your still getting screwed somehow? Let us also remember that the VP JohnsonTexas Cabal had the President of the other 49 states killed so Johnson could make some more money and not have to say "Sir" to a papist and you are still unhappy?

Please Texas, don't let the door hit your egos in the ass on your way out of the Union.

When you do get your freedom, I hope you don't expect boys from the other 49 states to come save you from Mexico.

Note the lack of a winky face.

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
There is plenty of justice in Texas...

Now if I can only convince my g/f about this vacation destination.
That's the exit I get off to go to my brother's house every time I go down there. I've passed by the place dozens of times, but never have gone in.

You know, back when they used "Ol' Sparky", the lights in Huntsville would literally dim for a few seconds when it was activated.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Ever been to or know where Snyder is ?
Nearly BFE, and I was not refering to base flood elevation either.