• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Happy Turkey Day Week

Queen B

Cyburbian
Two questions.

Who is working and how many days?

Just two for me Monday & Tuesday

Who you celebrating with?

Headed to my in-laws all the King's family is coming in from all over the country haven't seen them in two years.
Gonna spend some time huggin' the kids and the grandbabies!

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm working 2.5 days, and then packing up the family minivan to spend Thanksgiving with my folks and sister in Vermont.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
working all 3 days then braving I95 to head to Richmond on THursday. Last year it took me 4 hours to go what should have taken 1.45 WHHheeeeeeeEEEE

NOt!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm at work Mon-Wed, too.

Thursday morning I pack up my contributions to the family dinner, grab the kid, and walk around the corner to Mom's house. My brother and his family are coming for the day, too.

SGB

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
.....and walk around the corner to Mom's house.
Don't you know that you are supposed to drive somewhere for Thanksgiving? I'm pretty sure it's a federal law or something.....

;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
3 days work. Thursday - 2 family dinners. I will eat way too much, and fall asleep.

In order for Cyburbia to take over the country we need to start with some revisionist history. Therefore, I am thankful for Cyburbia and for our first Thanksgiving when our Dear Leader arrived in Cleveland fleeing persecution.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I'll be working Monday and Tue.

I have Wed. and Friday off but may come in the office for a few hours in the afternoon on Wed. it all depends on the weather and the hangover.

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
working all 3 days then braving I95 to head to Richmond on THursday. Last year it took me 4 hours to go what should have taken 1.45 WHHheeeeeeeEEEE

NOt!
Yep, I was caught in that last year heading north. It took over 2 hours to get from Richmond to Fredrickburg. Yeee-Haaaw!

My suggestion... Either drive Hwy. 1 the entire way, which can still be pretty busy or, if you're not in any rush, take a scenic route like out to Leesburg then to 17 south through Warrenton to Hwy. 1 to Richmond. Beautiful drive through horse country.

Good luck! :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
just today
not going anywhere - family to far away
tues, wed, thur morning working for a church outreach center to prepare t-day dinner.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm at work Monday thru Wednesday. Friends coming over to our house Thrusday for the traditional meal.

kms

Cyburbian
I'll work today, and Tuesday if anything comes back to me. My mom and sister, with her family, are eating here on Thursday.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I need to be in the next couple mornings for meetings and to get some work done. I will leave at noon Tuesday because the plumber is coming over to finish the bathroom I started working on 2.5 years ago. Wednesday will also be a half-day, unless there is too much work to get done.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm working Monday through Wednesday. Planderella and I will spend half of Turkey Day at her brother's place with her mom and brother and the other half at my parents house.

Big Easy King said:
I'm working Monday through Wednesday. Planderella and I will spend half of Turkey Day at her brother's place with her mom and brother and the other half at my parents house.
You forgot to give credit to the cook!!!!!!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Through Wednesday...and one night meeting tonight (been averaging 3 a week for a while)....

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
You forgot to give credit to the cook!!!!!!
Planderella is cooking a huge dinner. She knows how to handle business...dinner is always very, very good!!! :D

Queen B

Cyburbian
You can still cook a huge meal and over consume!
We just use the pilgrims as an excuse!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
You can still cook a huge meal and over consume!
We just use the pilgrims as an excuse!
Yeah, but without the day off, it's hard to do all that. I'll be working and checking Cyburbia from time to time to view the tumbleweeds in this virtual ghost town.

My mom and dad are coming up from L.A. for Christmas, so we'll have our big feast on Christmas day. :)

I'm working a half day today and tomorrow and taking Wednesday off to get ready for my family to arrive in town. My MIL is hosting T-day for both sides of the family. Hopefully the baby will hold off until after dinner on thursday so i can have some of my gramma's pecan pie.

SGB

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Hopefully the baby will hold off until after dinner on thursday so i can have some of my gramma's pecan pie.
You must me right near the due date by now, right? Maybe the pecan pie might just set things in motion! Hey, ya never know......

;)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am so excited because I am flying home tomorrow night for a nice long weekend with my family. We are going to go to my grandmother's for dinner (always yummy) and then just hanging out with the family. Maybe if all goes well, I will be able to pop down to CFL to see the Zoning Goddess and her minions. Can't wait to set foot in Publix!!!!!!!!!!!

donk

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Hopefully the baby will hold off until after dinner on thursday so i can have some of my gramma's pecan pie.
My solution would be to eat the pecan pie first.

I won't be around as I have to go to meetings out of town and take a lieu day to use overtime up.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
I'm working a half day today and tomorrow and taking Wednesday off to get ready for my family to arrive in town. My MIL is hosting T-day for both sides of the family. Hopefully the baby will hold off until after dinner on thursday so i can have some of my gramma's pecan pie.
Five years ago, my daughter was really looking forward to MOM's Thanksgiving spread she was 8 months along and was planning on helping me. I was busy in the cooking zone when she came in. For about the first hour she managed to not say anything about contractions. We tried to lay her down. They didn't stop. We ended up taking her to the hospital that night. With her screaming the whole way about how she had planned to pig out!
We managed to hold him off until Dec1 but she sure was mad about missing mom's feast.
I managed to pull off cooking the whole meal while running back and forth to the hospital.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmm... the turkey producers here in Chile have not tried to import the Thanksgiving traddition here, yet... So no Turkey day here.. Oh well, it's not like I missed eating turkey for a week....:p

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have to work M-W, and Fri. Thankfully, the wifey and I won't be going anywhere for T-day. We will celebrate by ourselves and have lobster tails instead of turkey. Yum-Yum!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Three days - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - provided I get my staff report done. If not, I will have to come in on Friday.