• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Has anyone here broached the idea of eliminating parking requirements?

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Just curious if any smaller communities have gone forth.

Also, to what extent do you think it impacts density? Would we have more people interested in downtown living without a parking minimum requirement?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

Also, to what extent do you think it impacts density? Would we have more people interested in downtown living without a parking minimum requirement?

I think it would be difficult unless located in a very dense downtown/urban area where acreage may not be available to park unless pedestal parking is provided. Accessible public transit is a must and not just a bus stop in he morning and evening. People like the freedom a vehicle provides. The market, to me, on a housing project with little or no parking is such a small segment of the population, I don't think it is possible in a vast majority of communities.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Yeah, but its an emotional argument. ("my" street parking will be impacted, etc.) We have been able to allow people to go 80% of the ITE rate by-right and 60% with a local study/parking share.

the_girl

we did it with downtown core. i would really like to expand it citywide. but, i am NEW, so gotta change things slowly

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I presume you're thinking about eliminating parking requirements in the muni regulations, not the prohibition of private off-street parking, right?

I see no issue with deregulating the number of minimum required parking spaces for development and occupancy in your downtown, but continue to regulate the design and buffering of parking areas that are proposed (ie space/aisle min dimensions, curbing, landscaping, etc.)

Is there 'ample' on-street public parking and some publicly owned off-street parking already?

The last muni I worked for had no minimum requirements in the historic (pedestrian-scaled) downtown since 1978. This was mainly in an effort to not encourage through regulation, the purchase and demo of existing historical building stock simply to meet the parking requirements. The importance of the historic core was high enough for the City to assume the general customer/worker parking needs through well placed on- and off-street parking public parking coupled with appropriate enforcement (parking tickets) to prevent a tragedy of the commons with the public parking.

I have faith that the private market is better at knowing what their private parking needs are.

Then in the last two years, the City (proposed by me) expanded the parking exemption to an additional 70 acres of the southern area adjacent to the historic core. That more than doubled the area and we did it under the guise of preservation and an easy regulatory 'economic development benefit' to encourage (re)investment in the subject area.