• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Haunted Alton IL - St. Louis suburb

Xing500

Cyburbian
Messages
112
Points
6
I took these last year. Since it's October I thought I would bring this spooky town back onto the photo forum. The town offers haunted housing tours all through October. Its one of the most historic cities in the state. If you're ever in St Louis you should check out the place. There's a haunted coffee shop/Art Gallery downtown worth checking out.

A Map for reference. Alton is to the far North of St. Louis.



99553643274SFWhOl_ph.jpg

99553643888kAbPrP_ph.jpg

99553643983tzDylR_ph.jpg

99553644087trmXnJ_ph.jpg



99553769754kEaVzO_ph.jpg

99553769498ivpvbl_ph.jpg

99553769225mcsimj_ph.jpg

99553769576TmTVbc_ph.jpg

99553769480YKOPdg_ph.jpg

99553769473lLXQRP_ph.jpg

99553769449GxUhyN_ph.jpg

99553769447OHGoeE_ph.jpg

99553769441kVrzct_ph.jpg
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,705
Points
54
Great pics!!

I have yet to visit any of the old Mississippi River towns. This one looks like a nice one. I really like the housing stock you showed.

Is it really a nice place or are your pics of the best places?

More such pics, please!
 

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,853
Points
26
Cool pics! Those sure are lovely houses... too bad you can't see many houses with porches on the front anymore... I guess people are just scared of seeing their neighbors...
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
Great architecture! I really like old river towns, they have a certain feeling to them I find attractive.

You might want to post these at www.urbanphoto.net discussion board, too. They are always looking for interesting photos of cities outside the big six (SF, NY, BOSton, Toronto, and Montreal)
 

cadman12

Member
Messages
2
Points
0
Alton Haunts

i am from the alton area, i was born in the alton hospital in 1960. this hospital is said to be very haunted, i think it is one of the nuns that worked there many years ago, among other ghosts.
There is an old old building, i have been told is the oldest in alton. i used to work in there when it was a bike shop, i very much got the message that i was not alone while working late at night. a friend also got it too, voices from the basement, radio changing across the spectrum and landing on an oldies station every time. ghost busters came in and meters went crazy etc. they were not suprised at all and in fact told us the ghosts name within minutes. the building was originally a tire supplier. a man named joe worked there and lived in the basement. he was killed while working on a tire on a machine in the basement. jeez, no wonder i got cold chills when i went down there, the bike shop owner wouldn't even go down to turn the lights off at night by himself.they did hower tell us not to worry that ole joe meant no harm and liked to play tricks!
they say alton is the most haunted small town in america and i believe it is. we talked to a woman who worked a few blocks down and she said "thats small change, i have things moving all over my desk and talking to me all the time" ... ok, time to find a new office i'd say!
there is an old prison used in the civil war in alton and only a small piece of wall stands no, a lot of bricks were taken from it and used to build street with, many streets in upper alton are still bricked and they say that the spirits went with these bricks and that is why alton is so haunted. all spread around!
 

chukky

Cyburbian
Messages
363
Points
12
BKM said:
They are always looking for interesting photos of cities outside the big six (SF, NY, BOSton, Toronto, and Montreal)

I'm not nit-picking, just curious, which would be the sixth city on this list?
San Francisco, New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal and... Chicago?
 

WTS83

Member
Messages
2
Points
0
cadman12 said:
i am from the alton area, i was born in the alton hospital in 1960. this hospital is said to be very haunted, i think it is one of the nuns that worked there many years ago, among other ghosts.
There is an old old building, i have been told is the oldest in alton. i used to work in there when it was a bike shop, i very much got the message that i was not alone while working late at night. a friend also got it too, voices from the basement, radio changing across the spectrum and landing on an oldies station every time. ghost busters came in and meters went crazy etc. they were not suprised at all and in fact told us the ghosts name within minutes. the building was originally a tire supplier. a man named joe worked there and lived in the basement. he was killed while working on a tire on a machine in the basement. jeez, no wonder i got cold chills when i went down there, the bike shop owner wouldn't even go down to turn the lights off at night by himself.they did hower tell us not to worry that ole joe meant no harm and liked to play tricks!
they say alton is the most haunted small town in america and i believe it is. we talked to a woman who worked a few blocks down and she said "thats small change, i have things moving all over my desk and talking to me all the time" ... ok, time to find a new office i'd say!
there is an old prison used in the civil war in alton and only a small piece of wall stands no, a lot of bricks were taken from it and used to build street with, many streets in upper alton are still bricked and they say that the spirits went with these bricks and that is why alton is so haunted. all spread around!
I was in Madison County IL in OCT of last year visting a friend. We drove by the mcpike mansion, mineral springs, and first unitarian church. I had a awesome week then. I hated to see it go...:(. All of Madison County is such a beautiful landscape.
 

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
713
Points
20
chukky said:
I'm not nit-picking, just curious, which would be the sixth city on this list?
San Francisco, New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal and... Chicago?
And you need to add two more, to make the Big Eight: Washington and Philadelphia.
 
Top