• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Have any of your projects been cancelled or delayed by Covid?

glutton

Cyburbian
I know there's been a lot of news of municipalities doing more 'open streets' / 'slow streets' to give more space to people walking and biking during Coronavirus, but have any of your proposed projects been docked or on the cutting block due to the recession?

I know I have projects that were near and dear to me that are now infinitely delayed :/

...have any of your proposed projects been docked or on the cutting block due to the recession?
This January 2021, New York City was scheduled to start the first (majorly game-changing) congestion pricing system in the U.S. Now,
"NYC congestion pricing program on hold due to coronavirus, imperiling MTA modernization plans":

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
We did a survey of Texas cities. We found most of the suspensions really weren't related to budget (since funds are already allocated), but instead due to challenges as the cities transitioned to work-from-home and dealt with acute issues prompted by COVID. We had a couple hit pause for those reasons.

Projects that were delayed depended on how far they were into the process, or the type of public engagement envisioned. We successfully moved a lot of engagement to non-physical alternatives, but some clients weren't as comfortable with it and chose to wait.

If projects hadn't started, we've found that those have been canceled in some instances. This is more prevalent in west Texas as well as parts of the Houston metro since they got double-tapped with COVID and the oil/gas crash.

We are closely monitoring budget preparations for cities across the state for next fiscal year. That is where we are more concerned about projects getting cut/deferred. That would be a shame, because now is when cities should be investing in planning, code updates, etc.

Planit

Cyburbian
Looks like a block of the downtown streetscape project will be delayed until next FY at the earliest (unless their are federal infrastructure funds available).

A greenway project due to budget cuts caused by COVID19.