• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Having a bad day?

SGB

Cyburbian
Your day could be worse.

I'm at home today. Appliance delivery guys couldn't fit our old refrigerator out the front door.

Called the previous owner. He said they got in via the deck off the upper floor. 8-!

I've been spending the day since shoveling 2.5 feet of snow off the deck, its stairway, plus a path to the driveway through a 4 foot packed snowbank.

:-c :-#

BKM

Cyburbian
Oof. Sounds awful.

I still remember when they delivered my washer and dryer. I tipped the TWO delivery guys $40 because it was obviusly beyond the call of normal duty.

Yet another reason why I will probably not be moving unless and until I have to. Moving things in and out of a tall, narrow townhouse with narrow staricases is not fun.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Once in a remodeling deal, I found this wonderful double shower stall for a really sweet deal. Didn't realize I couldn't get it in the house. Luckily we were going to replace a kitchen window. I ended up with a cool shower and a really big window!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I'm having the day of a thousand minor and not-so-minor irritations, but at least most of it has been inside and there are no large appliances to deal with. Word of advice from experience: make sure all knots on ropes etc are tied very very tightly. Appliances bounce when dropped from a good height...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It won't fit if they take the door off the fridge? I had to do that to get the new fridge in our kitchen. Fun stuff.

I also had to demo my basement stairway to get the new washer/dryer down there - I assumed that because the old appliances were the same size, the new ones would also fit. Uh, no. At some point after the old washer/dryer were put in, the bonehead previous owners did some renovations (narrowing the stairway) that effectively stranded the washer and dryer in the basement.

Ain't home ownership great?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ugh... today I went to get my new glasses, first off it took quite a while, mainly because the moron who did the job chipped the paint off the frames pretty badly, the changed the frames (for free thankfully!)
and to make it worse... today is quite hot... (thermometer marks 30.9º C/ 87.6 F) sure, it's the second floor but it's not much cooler downstairs...

Hey northies... want some heat? I wish I could send you a bit! ugh....

tsc

Cyburbian
good day here.... fire drill allowed for early extended lunch!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This all sounds sooo familiar. The previous owner at my place reversed the stairs leading to the upper level. Instead of having a straight shot up from the living room, you need to go down a twelve-foot corridor, then the first four steps make the turn to come back and up. When I remodeled I put in a door at the end of the corridor, but you still need to make a bend to get up the stairs. I got a split box spring, but the mattress only fit by bending it. That isn't possible with the dresser, which has found a place in a corner of my living room. When remodeling, I mostly used standard 32-inch door openings, but do have a couple of exceptions. They have convinced me that when I build, I will always use a 36-inch door.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Man, I know what you mean. We moved into a new house on Martin Luther King Day. Being a planner, I planned well, by injuring my back a few days before, so I got exempted from moving the heavy furniture. Weren't my friends happy about that!

Anyhoo, we intended to put the old sofa in the basement family room. But come moving day we realized the couch was too long and the hallway too narrow to get it through the upstairs basement door. So now we have a big sofa on the covered pation for those warm summer evenings and when I listen to my stereo I have to sit on a folding chair. And when they delivered our new dryer the delivery guys had to remove the door frame. C'est la vie.

donk

Cyburbian
My "basement" (crawl space with tunnels) has a dead furnace in it, 2 dead hot water heaters and other things that are too big or heavy to lift out of teh hole in the floor I use to access it.

The older homes in amsterdam all have pulleys integrated into the facade to facilitate jobs like this.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have a similar couch moving story.

We moved to Chicago in the midst of the summer humidity. The apartment is on the fourth (top) floor of a walk-up building. Getting most stuff in the apartment wasn't much of a problem, but once we got the large leather couch to the fourth floor (after about a half hour of getting up the stairs) we couldn't get the thing through the door. Eventually had to take the heavy solid core, oak door, with hinges, off the door frame.

I dread having to move it later this year when we leave our apartment.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
:-# Just notified that I am about to get my fifth Director of Redevelopment in the past 16 months (original Director, then one guy served twice as "interim"). No experience whatsoever, and the ConPlan is due at HUD on 15 May. :-#

Not at all a good day.

Last edited:

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I feel your pain. When I moved out of the apartment, we had such a hard time getting our living room set out. We almost had to take the windows out to do it

My bad day today starts with me still not getting my W-2 from work. I have been arguing with pay roll all morning because it is my stupid works policy to wait until the 15th of the month before they start issuing copies of the forms. Once the week of the 15th arrives, I am to submit a request IN WRITING to have a copy sent to my house again. They argued that it was my post offices fault and I am to take it up with them. Although I have been living at my address for the past two years, all of a sudden there seems to be a problem with the PO. I am getting all the bills ( :-# wonderful) on time, but not my W-2. I am ready to drive up to Maine and do some a$$ kicking!

SGB

Cyburbian
update

Old fridge is now out, and the new one is in.

The doors on both had to be removed to fit through the door to the deck.

Inspired by BKM, I tipped the delivery dudes all the cash I had on hand (not nearly enough, to be sure), plus a 6 pack of Bass Ale.

Last edited:

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I had two yolks in my egg this morning.

The weather in St. Louis absolutely sucks.

My refrigerator in my apartment isn't a mini, but it's not full-sized because they couldn't get a full-sized one up the stairs into the apartment!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Your day could be worse.

I'm at home today. Appliance delivery guys couldn't fit our old refrigerator out the front door.
Do you have a saber saw? I am sure that the old fridge can be "Trimmed"

Last edited:

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
SGB said:
plus a 6 pack of Bass Ale.
Awesone, I'd be happy with that.

I hope you didn't sweat to much watching them wrestle it through the door and onto the deck, because now you don't have any beer to relax with.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
"That's a fine tip!"

If you saw the size of the machines, the narrowness and steepness of TWO flights of steps (with twists and turns) and the sheer effort of the crew, you would not think it was excessive. :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
In our old second floor apartment we had to move large objects down a flight of stairs that only led through the first floor owner's apartment.

My last move from to my current house was so grueling that I did nothing but move straight for 3 days. I still feel bad for my friends who had to help. I even scraped an old man's old pickup truck with the moving van - he was nice about it. I never want to move again.

Does anyone have relatives like my grandfather who refuses to stop moving heavy furniture in his old age?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[snickering] You guys are amateurs! [/snickering]

When I worked for the moving company, the heaviest thing we ever moved (from a household standpoint, anyway) was this guy's beer fridge. It was an ancient Amana with the motor on the top and he had it down the basement in his game room. My partner and I agreed that we very nearly dropped our Kahunas getting that puppy out of the basement where we could finally put it on wheels to roll it to the truck. Weighed like 600#. :-(

One of my fonder memories is of a local move in Scranton, Pa. When we got to the destination, the lady's Queen-sized box spring would not fit upstairs to the bedroom (the ceiling had been lowered in the living room and thus the landing height had changed). We had to cut the box spring and fold it to get it upstairs. We could not cut the triple dresser in half, however. :-D The lady's mom started screaming that we were incompetents and why didn't we check her apartment out ahead of time so that there wouldn't be a problem. She was just totally freaked.

They ended up hiring a rigging company, taking out the window, and moving the furniture in with a crane. I'm glad I wasn't there when she decided to move out. :)