• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

healthcare rant

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I have been trying to make an appointment with a doctor because I believe I have strep. I have all the symptoms and I've had it before, so I'm pretty sure it is. So, all I basically need is a test and some antibiotics. Problem is I don't have health insurance. There are no community services in the st. louis area that can help me because I just moved just outside the city limits (literally 100 yards). My school doesn't have anything that can help me, just a referral who is too busy and can't see me today-not until wednesday. What am I supposed to do at this point? If it IS strep and I leave it untreated, it could get worse. I've been making random calls to physicians and no one seems to be able to help. This is just stupid. I'm stuck and I feel like ass.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Drink beer or hard liquor, here is a sure fire recipe for Norwiegian Tea:

10 lemons
cut them in half and then squeze or juice them into 2 quart sauce pan.
Make sure to squeze them so that you waste no juice.
Add a dash of cinomon or add a cinoman stick
Sugar to taste
Add 4 to 10 ounces of brandy (may substitue whiskey or scotch)
Heat util it is the temp of really hot tea or coffee.
Poor into a big cup/mug/vessel
Drink until finished

If nothing else, you won't care if your throat hurts! :)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Just be glad that your country has a health care system run by the efficient private sector! Not like those pinko commie scum in the rest of the western world.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Drink beer or hard liquor, here is a sure fire recipe for Norwiegian Tea:

10 lemons
cut them in half and then squeze or juice them into 2 quart sauce pan.
Make sure to squeze them so that you waste no juice.
Add a dash of cinomon or add a cinoman stick
Sugar to taste
Add 4 to 10 ounces of brandy (may substitue whiskey or scotch)
Heat util it is the temp of really hot tea or coffee.
Poor into a big cup/mug/vessel
Drink until finished

If nothing else, you won't care if your throat hurts! :)

Peppermint schnopps also works well with that recipe. Mmmmm... minty!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I used to treat my dog's infections myself. Farm Supply stores sell penicillin and syringes. They list the dose for horses and such in cc/kg... just make sure you do the math correctly. You will probably have to drive out into the hinterlands, as I doubt the urban areas sell the syringes as readily as they do farther out....

Jeff

Cyburbian
But I'm sure you can get syringes in downtown STL. Don't they have clean needle programs around there like they do in Philly?

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Just be glad that your country has a health care system run by the efficient private sector! Not like those pinko commie scum in the rest of the western world.

Canada appears to have a better system that we do.

BKM

Cyburbian
Canada

Canada appears to have a better system that we do.

If you want to wait almost immobile for six months in severe pain until they get around to operating on your herniated disc.

All medical systems "ration" in some way or other. Ours is rationed through money, luck of employment choice, or desperation (i.e., the use of Big City ERs for primary health care by the poor). Other's ration through waiting times, quality of care, etc.

Of course, most other Western countries' medical systems don't have to pay for the multimillion dollar salaries of HMO CEOs, but ....

iamme

Cyburbian
One person without basic healthcare is too many, let alone more than 33 million. I think a larger amount of inconvenience is a fair trade off to ensure the health and safety, through medicine, of all.

H

Cyburbian
When we had a sore throat my Mom made us gargle warm salt water and take a shot of bourbon. Seemed to work fine.

She didn’t like to give medication, even when it was strep.

Jessie-J said:
I have been trying to make an appointment with a doctor because I believe I have strep. I have all the symptoms and I've had it before, so I'm pretty sure it is. So, all I basically need is a test and some antibiotics.

For what it's worth: In Germany, they do not treat Strep with antibiotics. The antibiotics are not really for the Strep. They give those to you so you do not get Scarlet Fever as a consequence of having Strep. Scarlet Fever damages your heart and causes permanent problems. Strep is not that big a deal.

My sister was born in Germany and spoke English as a second language. With so many cousins and stuff around, she had Strep so many times that it hardly makes her symptomatic these days when she gets it.

Having said that, there are a lot of natural antibiotics available. I use them all the time because of my compromised immune system. They are not nearly so hard on the system as the drugs the doctors issue.

Chamomile tea is a natural antibiotic. If you use the teabags as a poultice (ie lay them directly on your skin after you drain off the tea to drink it) that is far more potent than simply drinking the tea.

Cranberry extract has been used for a long time as a 'home remedy' and medical research now proves that it makes it difficult for germs to stick to mucous membranes. I use this regularly because of the compromised state of my respiratory system. If you have sinus pain, sore throat, etc, this is a good natural antibiotic.

They used to sell quinine over the counter. They don't anymore. But you can still buy quinine -- at any liquor store and many grocery stores. It is called Tonic Water and about 5 or 6 bottles a day is a medicinal dose. Just be careful you do not give yourself Cinchoism -- which is the side effects from taking too much: nauseau, headache, and blurred vision. Very unpleasant stuff.

And a lot of antibiotics are not that expensive and can be bought without a prescription from Mexico. Just do an internet search. They do not do 'rush orders', so you will have to wait a few days for them to arrive in the mail.

I could probably go on, but giving out 'medical advice' over the internet is not really Kosher, so to speak. PM me if you want to talk about it further.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
MZ quinine in high amounts may be dangerous for people that have favism..My borther has favism, so he can't drink much tonic water, eat fava beans, take some drugs, etc. Why? because that causes an acute hemolitic anemia. More info on favism

Now another good and natural antibiotic is honey, mix with lemons and beer and you got a nice medicine :)

Enough quinine can also damage the heart.

Many drugs are poisons. The idea is to kill off the little critters feeding on your body before they kill you -- thus we take poisons. In the last three years, I have been on antibiotics that I had never heard of before because the side effects kill a small percentage of people.

Antibiotics also kill off all pro-biotics in your digestive tract, which is why they give you diarhea -- and one of the reasons I avoid them. To combat that, I buy organic yogurt, because it has more strains of pro-biotics than 'regular' yogurt.

Keflex is contra-indicated for someone with my condition -- but I had no diagnosis until 2001. It was the first drug I was given in November 2000 for a sinus infection that, thereafter, would not clear up. Ten weeks of sinus infections turned to pneumonia and doctors were telling me 'well, we cannot find anything physically wrong with you, have you considered seeing a psychiatrist?' while I was bedridden and in real danger of dying.

We are all playing Russian Roulette when we go to some doctor who spends 15 minutes with us and then writes a prescription (or refuses to). The 'scientific model' of modern medicine that treats people like specimens in a petri dish has some very serious problems. Most medical problems are dealt with more effectively if you deal with the whole person. But doctors don't have the time to do that anymore.

And most of them no longer have the wisdom to do it either because most doctors are not actually educated people. They are TRAINED. They are highly trained in a specialized and technical field. But let me remind you that training is what we give people on welfare so they will go get a job. There is a vast difference between training (which gives you a skill set for a specific job) and education (which teaches you how to think). I have met few doctors who were actually educated people.

I do all I can to avoid dealing with doctors. They are very dangerous people for someone with a recently discovered medical condition where there is little in the way of research or experience for how to treat it. Medicine is a very conservative field and doctors routinely deny me treatment because no one has spoon-fed them 'The Answer' -- because no one KNOWS 'The Answer'. My condition did not stabilize until I was able to convince a 3rd year resident that his guess was as good as anyone else's and he took a chance and prescribed me something more agressive. He had enough medical training to feel confident in his judgment but not so much as to have his spirit beaten completely out of him.

If you want a REAL 'rant' about the medical system, I could go on for many pages.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I can feel your pain. This is the worst allergy season for me, ever, and all the prescription medications in the world (Zyrtec, Flonase) aren't making a dent.

I'll save my universal health care rant for later. Personally, I think it's a travesty that this country doesn't think it's worthwhile to provide health coverage for all.

Dan said:
I can feel your pain. This is the worst allergy season for me, ever, and all the prescription medications in the world (Zyrtec, Flonase) aren't making a dent.

Dan, pm me or write me by private e-mail if you want my tips for non-drug ways to reduce your allergy symptoms. Keeping allergy symptoms to a minimum is a huge part of my life and has been forever. The best treatment for allergies is to reduce as much as possible your exposure to them.

I could give you a link to something I wrote about food allergies (and, no, it is not on my 'regular' website), but the pertinent part (about respiratory allergies) is a fairly small portion and I would rather copy that part of it and send it to you and then elaborate on related topics.