• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planning: general Heirarchal category list for planning department files

dogandpony

Cyburbian
Can anyone suggest a readily available example of a outline of planning subjects? I've considered the broad categories that the APA Journal uses to classify it's "materials received" under (Citizen Participation adn Dispute Resolution, Planning and Urban Theory, Demographics and Spatial Analysis, etc.), but find that their categories become too broad to be meaningful.

Trying to provide guidance to staff for filing things in a meaningful fashion so that it can be found later...

GIS Guy

Something to chew on...

We'll, this isn't what you're looking for, but it may help. I'm putting together a list technology skills that various planners should have. Maybe by looking at the different types of planning catagories, it may give you a good idea to start. I've found many organizations have 2 forms of storage, In the current/zoning/permitting side, by case number; on the comprehensive side it seems to be by project name.

There are various permit/planning process tracking systems out there that claim to intergrate GIS, public meeting, electronic document management, process tracking (Hansen, TideMark, Kiva, Eden)..., but many are out of business, aquired by someone else, very expensive and I'm not sure all of the functionality is there yet. Be careful with "vaperware". It's easy for a 1.5 million dollar project to balloon to over 10 million if it's not managed right.

Anyways, Here are some planning catagories:

Main Planning Specialties:
Participation and Empowerment
Spatial Planning
Community Development and Redevelopment
Economic Planning and Development
Environmental and Natural Resources Planning
Transportation Planning
Facilities and Infrastructure Planning
Housing
Health and Human Services Planning
Urban Design
Preservation
Parks and Recreation Planning
Land-Use and Management Code Enforcement
Planning Law
Information Technology/GIS
Planning Management, Budgeting and Finance
Statistics/population/demographics
Planning Methods
Other topics not covered above

Organization Types
Public Sector - Local Government
Public Sector - County Government
Public Sector - Regional Government
Public Sector - State Government
Public Sector - Federal Government
Public Sector - Other
Academia
Nonprofit
Private
Other

Geez, now that I think about it, I got this from the APA. Maybe someone will find this helpful.

Good luck, I'll ask around, good question. If you find out anything good, make sure to let the rest of us know.

Mike