• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hej fra Danmark

green

Hey everybody,

I'm a longtime lurker finally taking the plunge. A little about myself:

I was born and raised near Portland, Oregon, and am a junior at Occidental College, a small liberal arts college in Los Angeles. At the moment, however, I'm spending a semester at the DIS program in Copenhagen, Denmark. I've gotten the traditional "well-rounded" liberal arts education, but my major is Urban & Environmental Policy - an interdisciplinary combo of political science, economics, environmental studies, sociology, and a core program junior and senior year focusing on a community-organizing internship and research project. I highly, highly reccomend it to those of you looking at undergrad programs.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when graduation comes fourteen short months from now, but I have had an almost lifelong fascination with cities. I'm not sure whether it really focused after my dad brought home the original Simcity or I started reading Kim MacColl's books on the history of Portland, but sometime around age 10.

Up until about two months ago, I was convinced I wanted to go to law school, and approach these issues from that perspective. After a few months in Denmark I'm not so sure anymore. This program has a very strong architecture program and I talked my way into a lecture course within that department, to help round out my major at home a little. Up until about age 15 or so I used to draw house and city plans all the time, and the class has really reinvigorated my interest in architecture. Ok, this has gone on way too long, so I'll leave it at this . . . maybe if people are bored at work they can now be bored reading my post. So yeah, that's my life story.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If you like drawing, stay away from law! Welcome on board and join in the discussions.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Welcome out of the shadows of lurking!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome, Green

The program you're in sounds really fantastic. I wish I would of heard of these things 15 years ago!

...And don't let Mike D. talk you into bringing home some of the fine Danish hashish...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome to Cyburbia!

I married my first wife in Veijla, Denmark. What a great place. I do wish I went alone though. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Welcome, Green

bturk said:
The program you're in sounds really fantastic. I wish I would of heard of these things 15 years ago!

...And don't let Mike D. talk you into bringing home some of the fine Danish hashish...
That's Holland (the Netherlands) Dufas - ROTFLMAO!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Welcome, Green

El Guapo said:

That Holland (the Neatherlansd) dufas - ROTFLMAO!
I thought they were the same. Which one is Dutch then?
Yes, my Geography minor is showing, isn't it?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Netherland is west of Germany, across the Straights of Magellan from the English coast. Denmark is north of Germany, on the Aegean Sea across from Norway. (Masters in Geography)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Michael Stumpf said:
Denmark is north of Germany, on the Aegean Sea across from Norway. (Masters in Geography)
Isn't the Aegean sea down by Greece? I thought Denmark was between the Baltic and the North Sea.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Glad I am not the new kid on the block any more.
Although the reference to new and kid makes me feel younger somehow, not a bad thought !

Welcome!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Welcome, Green

bturk said:

I thought they were the same. Which one is Dutch then?
Yes, my Geography minor is showing, isn't it?

Well, it does cause memory loss.. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Denmark is the penisula that sticks out north of Germany. (middle of map)

the aegean sea is an arm of the Mediterranean is imaged here: it is the Aegean Sea. It surrounds the Greek islands, many of which are of volcanic origin, and separates mainland Greece from Turkey. (neat satellite image and this info from http://earth.esa.int/ers/ers_action/_aegean_details.html) Lower right hand corner of map.

From the CIA a map of europe.

Dutch = Holland = Nethlands =heineken beer
Denmark = Danes = tuborg beer

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
Dutch = Holland = Nethlands =heineken beer
Denmark = Danes = tuborg beer
Im so confused. I get Denmark = Danes, but why are people of Holland called Dutch? And why is it also Netherlands? Any why can't they pick just one name and stick with it?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
the aegean sea is an arm of the Mediterranean is imaged here: it is the Aegean Sea. It surrounds the Greek islands, many of which are of volcanic origin, and separates mainland Greece from Turkey
Maybe you can get a refund on your tuition there Stumphy! ;)

donk

Cyburbian
I know, I reread and did not like so I changed the link to a more friendly one.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
Here

is a link to an explanation of the whole holland / netherlands thing.
For some reason, this put it into a term I could understand:

In summary, Holland gave up it's independence a very long time ago, so calling the Netherlands "Holland", is like calling Great Britain "Scotland" or "Wales."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
bturk said:
but why are people of Holland called Dutch? And why is it also Netherlands? Any why can't they pick just one name and stick with it?
It's sort of like how Russia was just one part of the old Soviet Union, but we kept calling it Russia anyhow. However, when we finally got into the habit of calling the Soviet Union the Soviet Union, the country falls apart and we end up with Russia again.

Now Denmark, on the other hand ... at UB, every semester there would be a fresh crop of Danish exchange students in the architecture program. Always female. Always hot, as in supermodel hot. Amazing.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Dan said:

Now Denmark, on the other hand ... at UB, every semester there would be a fresh crop of Danish exchange students in the architecture program. Always female. Always hot, as in supermodel hot. Amazing.
We had one of those for a year in Grad school. "Bitten" what a name!

Decay B

After all this geographic nonsense - welcome, Green.

I thought about lawe school many moons ago and I still find it interesting, but there are so many miserable lawyers, I couldn't really recommend it.

Anyway, you must know my old pal Peter Dreier. I have plenty of goofy stories about him...

Having done both planning and business degrees, I would encourage you to follow up on the architecture. This is also a tough career choice, but the folks who do it seem to like it.

-

Welcome to Cyburbia - we're always happy to have more and more international planners chiming in!

green

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. For those of you unfamiliar with Denmark, they actually set a good example (even by European standards) of planning. Of course, with a national population of 5 million and much higher general level of prosperity than the US their work tends to be easier.

At this point I wish my postgraduate paths were whittled down to two pathes a little closer together than architecture and law, but I guess part of studying abroad involves getting your perspective turned around and upside down. From what I've seen, academically, architecture encompasses the fields that most interest me (urban design, urban history, sustainable development) and I enjoy what I know of the process, but I have no idea if I have any aptitude for the actual work. Law is better suited to my academic skills (reading, writing, public speaking - I'm a theater minor) but I worry about the work being unfulfilling.

I know Peter Dreier pretty well (he helped me a lot with the Denmark program actually) and am glad to hear there are funny stories out there about him. Its nice to be on the forums.