• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hej from Sweden!

JNL

Cyburbian
Hi all! I've missed you guys! I'm currently in Sweden which is a very beautiful country from what I've seen so far. My favourite city that I've visited on this trip is Amsterdam -- lots of wonderful old brick buildings and lots of trees and canals and friendly people. Plus the air is cleaner than in London. Venice was pretty cool too, but just to visit not to live there. Same with Paris.

I have taken heaps of photos but unfortunately it's not easy for me to upload them while travelling. So look out for lots of photos when I get back home at the end of July!

I am currently writing from Linköping University where my friend Emma studies. We had lunch at Ikea today (yes Sweden is the home of Ikea) - Swedish meatballs. Yummy.

Tomorrow - Stockholm!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Hey there! Great to know that you're safe and enjoying your trip. Can't wait to see the pictures. So have you picked up any good souvenirs thus far ;-) ?

Oh, and I agree 100% with you about Paris and Venice... Great to visit, but couldn't live there if you paid me.

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
So have you picked up any good souvenirs thus far ;-) ?
A couple of email addresses and phone numbers ;)

I bought some clothes in Amsterdam and a leather handbag in Florence, but not much else, yet. 2 more weeks to shop!

Jen

Cyburbian
You are still on the road?!

Hej to you too! And that was hemp clothing you bought in Amsterdam right? :-D

Happy Tripping!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun... I think we would all like to see a few pictures.

JNL

Cyburbian
Jen said:
You are still on the road?!
Yep! 4 weeks in to a 6 week trip. Sweden this week, Germany next week and then Bangkok (and a brief stopover in Sydney) on the way home.

It's going to be hard to go back to work! :-0

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Sounds wonderful! When you can, you'll have to post lots of pictures, so we can all travel vicariously!

JNL

Cyburbian
I would love to share pictures! I have a CD and a DVD already, but it's hard enough to navigate this Swedish keyboard let alone get through an upload! I'll see what I can do....

Edit: can't find the CD in my suitcase in the dark and don't want to wake Emma who is sleeping already. Maybe tomorrow...

el Guapo

Capitalist
There's no way you could pick up a set of Euro Winter Package headlights for a pre-86' Volvo 240?....Nah, I didn't think so...but I do have some serious Swedish-Travel envy going on...have fun and try to post photos as soon as possible.

el Guapo said:
but I do have some serious Swedish-Travel envy going on
Yeah, now that I am getting well, every time Rem says "we have a desperate shortage of planners down under".... I get a burning urge to pack up and go. And here is JNL, throwing gasoline on the fire. ;-) Enjoy your trip for all of us stuck at home :)

Being a military "gypsy" is a hard habit to break. :-\

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hoping to get the thread back on track....

Your trip sure suonds like fun, and as far as you have told you've had lots of fun :)
It's great to travel, but sadly for me I'll have to wait quite a while to travel... a remote possibility would be an exchange student program in about 2 more years, but that depends on the availability of $$ and how do I do in univeristy.

Meanwhile you could post some pics when you can :)