• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click click pop)

simulcra

Hello all. I've finally taken the jump and registered for the cyburbia forums. I've been secretly watching from the shadows for a while now, and I decided that maybe I should register for those occasional urges to respond to a post or whatnot.

I am at a ripe old age of 18, heading off to college in september (uchicago)! I'm still unsure about career choices and whether I'm actually going to planning/design/gis/whatnot, but nevertheless stuff that goes on cyburbia is the stuff that really interests me.

so again, hello all, my brain is ready for the molding.

Ciao, Comment allez vous?, buenas noches, Guten Abend, and Willkommen.

I would say more, but I cannot think of more in any foreign languages right now. Is English okay for the future?

donk

Cyburbian
welcome aboard.

If you are female we might have a match for you. He even speaks a few of the languages in your welcome.

icon12.gif

Mud Princess said:
Darn, Michelle stole my line. Welcome, anyway!
"Great minds think alike."

It would still be witty if you said it in some other language. Try to complete one of these foreign sentences:

En Francais: Je peut something plus, something er other je ne peut pas penser de plus de quelle autres langues. Est-ce que, en 'the future', Anglais est sufficient?

Auf Duetsch: Ich moechte zum sage etwas something er other, aber ich kann nicht denke von something er other andere Sprache. Im 'the future', ist English gut genug?

(or try a whole new language that I am not even this familiar with)

H

Cyburbian
¿Que tal?, mucho gusto, bienvenidos, saludos, hola y halo!

( I think that will cover the Spanish :) )

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
"Great minds think alike."

It would still be witty if you said it in some other language. Try to complete one of these foreign sentences:

En Francais: Je peut something plus, something er other je ne peut pas penser de plus de quelle autres langues. Est-ce que, en 'the future', Anglais est sufficient?

(or try a whole new language that I am not even this familiar with)
LOL! I had 4.5 years of French in high school and my sentences would probably have even more "somethings." :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
ELCOMWAY TO YBURBIACAY

Pig latin doesnt translate well into text unfortunately.

Welcome and thanks for joining the insanity

jordanb

Cyburbian
Welcome.

You'll love Chicago.

And don't believe all of that propaganda that UoC puts out about the areas around Hyde Park being so bad that you'll be mugged/killed/raped if you even step foot in them. Bronzeville has seen hard times but it's improving, and you should be fine there as long as you keep your wits about you.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click click pop)

jordanb said:
You'll love Chicago... ...and you should be fine there as long as you keep your wits about you.
That an at least a .38 cal. Seriously, though, glad to see another young person interested in the built environment.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click click pop)

Michael Stumpf said:
That an at least a .38 cal.
I know why you live in Wisconson. :p

Illi-noise a little too rough for you, eh?

JNL

Cyburbian
G'day, sayonara, haere mai, talofa. Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click click pop)

jordanb said:
I know why you live in Wisconson. :p

Illi-noise a little too rough for you, eh?
Turning Canadian? It is infectious. ;)

I grew up in the north 'burbs, but lost my taste for the big city when I lived in DeKalb for most of a decade. The quality of life in the city (metro region) declined in some ways during the 1980's and 90's, particularly in the suburbs.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click click p

Michael Stumpf said:
Turning Canadian? It is infectious. ;)
Oh no! I am! I'm going to have to go watch Canadian Bacon now to get it out of my system. :)

I grew up in the north 'burbs, but lost my taste for the big city when I lived in DeKalb for most of a decade. The quality of life in the city (metro region) declined in some ways during the 1980's and 90's, particularly in the suburbs.
Haha, I would have known that you were a suburbanite without you saying it. They're the only ones who confuse Chicago with DeKalb county. ;) You weren't one of those suburbanites that were so afraid of the city that they won't use Ogden to get downtown, were you?

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click click p

jordanb said:
Haha, I would have known that you were a suburbanite without you saying it. They're the only ones who confuse Chicago with DeKalb county. ;) You weren't one of those suburbanites that were so afraid of the city that they won't use Ogden to get downtown, were you?
Nah, the whole crime thing is not much of an issue with me. I used to park on Lower Wacker even when I'd be heading out of the city after midnight, and I was on the near west side the day of the Rodney King riots (Chicago was quiet).

simulcra

Just for clarification, I am not female.

Also: Je ne parle pas francais tres bien, mais, je suis tres heureux de participer (ou enregistrer?) dans un communite cybernetique.

And: Ich bin ein berliner.

Or? Yvan eht nioj (superliminal!)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello, Buon Giorno, Salut, Buenos Dias, Guten Tag, (click

Michael Stumpf said:
Nah, the whole crime thing is not much of an issue with me. I used to park on Lower Wacker even when I'd be heading out of the city after midnight
Wow. Lower Wacker, that's pretty risky if you. :p

Solipsa said:

Also: Je ne parle pas francais tres bien, mais, je suis tres heureux de participer (ou enregistrer?) dans un communite cybernetique.

And: Ich bin ein berliner.

Or? Yvan eht nioj (superliminal!)
You're a jelly donut? Gee, do you want to say that here?

donk

Cyburbian

The french spoken where I live is not far off from the postings here, with one exception. When you don't know a french word or want to punctuate something in french all you have to do is include a four letter explicitive.

Sorry Skel, I tried.icon12.gif

biscuit

Cyburbian
My French and Spanish language skills are pitiful to say the least. I am however fluent in both Redneck and Slack Jawed Yokel.

Welcome

H

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I am however fluent in both Redneck and Slack Jawed Yokel.

Some folk'll never eat a skunk
But then again, some folk'll...
Like Cletus
The slack-jawed yokel.
Most folk'll never lose a toe
And then again, some folk'll...
Like Cletus
The slack-jawed yokel.

;)

moose

a few more languages

欢迎! welkom! boa vinda! 환영! добро пожаловать!

(chinese, dutch, portugese, korean & russian)

Welcome from Oregon, wie gehts?

H

Cyburbian
Re: a few more languages

moose said:
欢迎! welkom! boa vinda! 환영! добро пожаловать!

(chinese, dutch, portugese, korean & russian)

I figured out the translator, but I cant get the chinese symbols to post. what did I do wrong?

Last edited:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Solipsa.....welcome from close to the north coast of Lake Erie.

And.....actually the U.S. does have an official language:

$$$$

Bear

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK folks be civil. This is a 'welcome thread' remember, not a shut the F up thread. Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts.

moose

Huston --

Sorry, I'm an internet/html moron, and I don't know how to put your quote in bold with the little box around it, which makes it ironic that I got the asian fonts to work. Actually, I just had it translated (www.dictionary.com translator), highlighted, copied, and pasted in my reply. I tried to do greek too, but I didn't want to download the greek font package onto my work computer.

Is this off-topic? Am I breaking forum code? If so, I am sorry!

Habanero

Cyburbian
moose said:

Is this off-topic? Am I breaking forum code? If so, I am sorry!
Yes, and you better be ready for your punishment...

Plannergirrrrlllllll, a little assistance please! ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
That is probably what I need: Friends in Australia to fill in those long, lonely hours between 2am and 5am. What time is it there?
Tomorrow.

But seriously, East Coast Australia is 14 hours ahead of New York and 18 hours ahead of Los Angeles. I struggle to be temporally relevant on Cyburbia because of this. JNL is another 2 hours ahead of me.

Rem said:
Tomorrow.

But seriously, East Coast Australia is 14 hours ahead of New York and 18 hours ahead of Los Angeles. I struggle to be temporally relevant on Cyburbia because of this. JNL is another 2 hours ahead of me.
Guam is 18 hours ahead for part of the year and 17 hours ahead for part of the year (if I recall right -- most of my friends in Guam have been busy here lately, so I have not been routinely comparing times with anyone). Some of my Guam friends show up at like 6am my time sometimes (11pm or midnight their time). I have a friend in New York who often shows up at 5am my time because she is online at 8am. It is early morning for her, 'late night' for me since I have been going to bed around dawn for most of this year.

Anyway, I guess that makes you in the same category as Guam. The only hope is that you keep a different day-to-day schedule than they do! ;)

I have spent so much time this year hanging with friends in Guam that I find myself 'on Guam time' and thinking it is 'Monday" here when it is really Sunday, and stuff like that.

Anyway, thanks for the info.