• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hello Cyburbia! I'm looking into Urban Planning Masters Programs

What is (at least in your knowledge) the strongest Urban Planning Dept on East Coast?

• Harvard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Columbia

• Hunter College

• NYU, Wagner College

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Penn State

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

brunoboris

Hello all.

Just like Rufus, I'm looking into Urban Planning programs, including Hunter College which I'll be visiting this Monday. I've only perused the web site which is "ok", thus my "ok" response to the poll. I don't know anything official in terms of its reputation.

My real name is: Brian Stokle

Goal: Urban Planning Masters (any school on West Coast, or between DC & Boston), will consider others with compelling stories.

History: 1994 BS Geology & BA History at UC Davis
1997-2000 Lived in Paris, teaching English
2000-2001 Moved to SF, missed high life in Paris
2001-present Got things together to go into Urban Planning:
taking classes at SF State Univ-
volunteering for City CarShare and Bay Rail Alliance

Currently: Looking for employment involved in, or related to Urban Planning/Design. Studying GRE's. Investigating and visiting prospective universities.

I would love your thoughts and comments on what is necessary to get into a good Master's program in Urban Planning.

Welcome Brian :). I can't recommend any good planning schools (I certainly wouldn't recommend MY alma mater), but I do wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

nerudite

Cyburbian
brunoboris said:
History: 1994 BS Geology & BA History at UC Davis.
Wow... another Aggie! Who knew? I graduated in 1990 from the Geography program (which I hear is now defunct??). There was a big scuffle in the Department just when I was leaving, and the rumors were that the Department died.

Anyway, it's always awesome to see another Aggie. Welcome to the forums and good luck in pursuing your career...

Lake_Country

Good planning schools

The University of Cincinnati...one semester is internship, next semester is class...it works much better when you try to get a job.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

The University of Akron
(I'm a bit biased, I graduated with an M.A. in 1997)

Central Washington

Montana State--rural planning

Kansas State

University of Illinois--Chicago

Lake_Country

good unknown geography schools

Missouri

Chadron State--Nebraska

Kent State

Appalachian State

University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee

University of Wisconsin--Parkside

Carroll College (now an Environmental Science major)

perryair

Cyburbian
This is my first semester at NYU- Wagner right now. Lots of interesting professors and students (plus), but the classes are all fairly large(minus). But most of the professors either currently work for or have previously worked for firms that have done quite a number of things. I'll let you know as I get further into the program - Good luck with picking a school.

Status
Not open for further replies.