• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Hello Everyone

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Hello everyone,
A short bio about me. I went to grad school on the east coast, then got a planning job working in Eastern Kentucky. I spent about a 1 1/2 years there, it was my best job and a very moving personal experience. I truely came to admire and respect all the desperate, tough, hard working people I met while I was there. Mr. Regan decided not to fund the ARC and I was out of a job. I got a job in all places outside of Washington, DC and have been here ever since. I got recruited into transportation planning and did that for about 10 years. I had put something in my resume about helping a fire department in Kentucky, it sounded really good on the resume (you know how that is), my Department Chief remembered and asked if I minded taking a "temporary assignment". Twelve years later and a couple of promotions I'm still waiting for this temporary assignment to be over. I work with the local fire departments in siting new stations, the school department in siting new schools and help the police in laying out the beats. I know where all the cops are!
I've been at the same place for 15 years, my sentence will be over in 10 more years.

I am a big music fan, I've just saw B.B. King in concert, I like the blues as well as rock & roll. I am now paid enough to pay for the good seats at a concert or even afford to go to a concert. I saw the Stones in 2002 and they still are the best group I've ever seen.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from Chicago(land)!

Going to APA conference in DC?

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
for mendleman

Mendleman

I will be a tour guide on the Northern Suburbs-DC tour at the APA convention.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome :)
from the Central Time Zone of the SW corner of Indiana.

I too, know something about Fire Departments.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
JNA said:
I too, know something about Fire Departments.

Me too, they are a huge pain in my....... well, welcome anyway.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hi Chrisinmd

Welcome from the DC area planners, few that we are and keep an ear to the ground for our get together later this month.

PG

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome! Since you know where the cops will (not) be, maybe we should enlist your help in planning the Annual Cyburbia Laefest.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Howdy from your neighbor to the south in NoVA. You must come to our get together later this month.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome ChrisinMD from the eastern standard time zone (for now) of south central Indiana, Ohio River mile 609.

Why is it that every time a planner says "annexation" the fire department says "28 more firemen"?