• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hello everyone!

steveanne

I'm a long time reader, recent poster. I was born and raised in Rochester, NY, but my travels have taken me to Erie, PA for four years, Orlando, FL for about four years, and now I reside in Chicago, IL. While not in the city planning profession, I've made it my hobby. I minored in Geography in college. I follow the developments in all the cities I've lived, as well as other cities such as Toronto, Milwaukee, and Buffalo. I tend to root for the underdog cities of America and secretly wish senior citizens would stop moving to Florida and Arizona. I think this is truly the most interesting site on the internet and I thought I'd just say "hello!"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome and thanks for the intro. There are alot of Geography folks here, so you fit right in.

H

Cyburbian
Hello.

Please share you ideas on how to get senior citizens to stop moving to Florida and Arizona (not that I want to stop it, I am just curious). I was recently at a seminar where a demographics professor from FSU explained how Florida is expected to EXPLODE in the next 10-20 as the Baby Boom Generation retires. I live here and quit frankly concerned / scared about the effect of this impact on FLA, as well as the cities the folks abandon to come here.

Not that I am going to try and stop it, but it will just be interesting to see how this develops. One thing I think about, is what will happen to all the sprawling gated-communities in the middle of nowhere FLA once the BBG's die off? Will the homes be left vacant? I don’t think the next Gens will want to live in the BBGs left over death boxes. What is your take on this?

Anyway, welcome.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome!

Huston said:
Hello.

Please share you ideas on how to get senior citizens to stop moving to Florida and Arizona
Stop subsidizing water in the west and force people to live as if they were in the desert (i.e. no lawns, swimming pools, golf courses, etc.). The economy there may take a considerable tumble.

Runner

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard!

Huston said:
Please share you ideas on how to get senior citizens to stop moving to Florida and Arizona
Place additional restrictions on automobile licenses (ex. maximum age, etc.). This would make established higher density urban areas with good public transit more appealing.

Ditto on the water.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome.

I say, let 'em leave. I'm tired of almost getting killed by a member of the blue-hair Cadillac brigade everytime I get on the interstate. Plus they make my income taxes too high. ;)

Welcome! I did my undergrad in Geog. at Geneseo, so I have a soft spot in my heart for the Rochester area. Long live Nick Tahoes!

moose

Welcome!

Funny, the people I know who want to move to AZ are twenty-somethings....

bocian

Cyburbian
Welcome!!!

Everyone I know who lives in the Midwest wants to move to Arizona (not including myself).

Everyone I know who lives in Florida wants to move somewhere else or "back home."

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
bocian said:
Welcome!!!

Everyone I know who lives in the Midwest wants to move to Arizona (not including myself).

Everyone I know who lives in Florida wants to move somewhere else or "back home."
First, welcome to steveanne. That's an interesting name: is it southern, like Billie Jo?

I too am a geographer, living just north of Orlando in Seminole County.

Just cuz I'm a native Floridian, I have to add that I do not want to move anyplace else. I'm staying here to defend the state against all the Yankees!

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

Just cuz I'm a native Floridian, I have to add that I do not want to move anyplace else. I'm staying here to defend the state against all the Yankees!
haha. the first time I went to Tampa I was so SURPRISED and SHOCKED to find soooo many New Yorkers and East Coast/Midwest folks down there..at the time I was a kid and didn't know much about Florida and that sort of thing. I had this vision of Tampa being a Southern city because it was South. well, of course when I grew up more I caught on.

Jen

Cyburbian
Hello Steveanne Anne with an e, that's how i spell my middle name too!

Glad you found the front door and decided to step on in, or is out?

Glad to meet another person who doesn't have a "real" hobby. :)

steveanne

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I've enjoyed the site for quite sometime now. To answer some of the queries:

steveanne is my first and last name together. I was "lucky" enough to grow up with a woman's last name. So, I end up on a lot of lists as a female named Anne Stevens.

Until global warming floods and submerges the state of Florida and causes temps in AZ to rise to the 150s, I see no way of sending my grandparents and their friends back north, especially with the elaborate communities being plopped down in record numbers on Route 27 from Gainesville to Clermont in Florida (among other places).

Nick Tahoes... Yum. I wish I had a Garbage Plate right now. Those who know of Rochester know of Nick's. I still wonder if Rochester is the only place that has the "meat hot sauce" that I fell in love with. If anyone else knows of this great phenomenon in other cities, please tell me where.

Once again thanks!

New2daGame

Welcome!

I'm new, too.

I cheer for the underdog cities, too. I'd love to see Birmingham take back a few jewels from the crown Atlanta stole from it many many decades ago.

I'm from St. Petersbug, FL -- once a city that catered strictly to the old and retired. That image has changed somewhat in the last 10 years. I don't mind the retirees moving here. (as long as its places like Bradenton, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, etc. Let the younger people have the big cities.) I just wish the state had a more diversified economy to at least keep its college graduates in the state.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
an old friend of mine use to always refer to St. Pete as "God's Waiting Room" because of the huge elderly population. welcome aboard!!!

tsc

Cyburbian
welcome....love that music hall in downtown rochester....

you can have your Genny Cream Ale though.....lol

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Welcome! I did my undergrad in Geog. at Geneseo, so I have a soft spot in my heart for the Rochester area. Long live Nick Tahoes!
when you were there did you see any of those old railway tunnels underground? I was going to check it out once but it didn't happen. I spent two years in Albany.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Welcome!

Stop subsidizing water in the west and force people to live as if they were in the desert (i.e. no lawns, swimming pools, golf courses, etc.). The economy there may take a considerable tumble.
I love you. They act shocked out here that we're not getting much rain this year.. helloooo, this is an arid climate- look it up! Besides, I have no grass in my backyard and it means no mowing!

And yes, welcome to the fun! :)