• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hello from British Columbia, Canada

Sean

Hi!

Sean here from Victoria, BC (off the west coast of Canada).

I'm 27, but I've been interested in issues related to planning for the past 6 years. The seeds were sown through self-directed and certificate study in permaculture, '97 to '99. I've since had numerous other diversions into farming, publishing, and computer programming, but social studies have always been my avocational mainstay. Finally I've bitten the professional bullet (lord knows why it took me so long), and have just started to look at undergrad programs in planning.

I am in fact not that clear about the possible career paths of planners. I am interested in research-based decision making, and everything related to group dynamics: mediation, negotiation, consensus decision making, facilitation, etc. As far as I am aware, this characterizes the work of at least some planners, but just how extensively is this the case?

I also have a long-standing interest in intentional community and co-housing, or movements in a similar direction within, say, neighbourhood planning. In addition, I have a burgeoning interest in the connection between the nonfalsifiable (moral, intrapersonal/emotional, ideological) aspects of belief systems, their conflict with more empirical and collaborative/democratic approaches to decision making, and their corresponding social and policy implications. Are there any other professional planners involved in some fashion in these areas?

More generally, I would also like to get my feet wet with some bona fide planning literature, so can someone suggest an elementary bibliography appropriate to Canadian planners? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the APA's "Essential Planning Library:" http://www.planning.org/resources-k/essentiallibrary.htm

Cheers,
Sean

Cardinal

Cyburbian
H said:
chees :b:
I think he meant to say "cheese." It is a common greeting in Wisconsin. Congratulations on the planning decision. Some of the Canadians may have ideas for material to read, but the general concepts of planning respect borders as little as the general public respects planners. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome from the SW Indiana portion of the Central Time Zone.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome to the informative and often wild and wacky corner of the internet know as Cyburbia, from one of the many Midwesterners camped out here.

I hope we can be of help to you in your studies and future in planning.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
-What, has there been a drop in the number of kittens being killed?;)
Yep. Chet's nudie magazine subscription must have finally expired and Michaelskis probably found a new girlfriend. ;)

Welcome Sean, to the webs greatest decimator of productivity.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Welcome to Cyburbia. Sounds like you've got the lingo down pat, and that's a good start ;)

I would answer your questions as follows:

1. Yes - especially in areas where there is a greater degree of public participation in the planning process

2. No, not that I'm aware of. I think most (all) planning schools tend to Indoctrinate planners in the concensus/democratic school of thought though we'd probably all prefer to have dictatorial powers when it came to planning communities.

As for a bibiliography, does the CIP website have anything similiar to what you found at the APA? The only book I could recommend off the top of my head would be Gerold Hodge's Planning Canadian Communities.

Cheers

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome from the eastern time zone of south central Indiana. Good choice on "biting the bullet" -- you'll enjoy planning, I'm sure.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome to the forums. You live in one of my favourite cities in N. America... lucky dog! :)