• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hello from New Orleans

Bil

Hey all,

my name is Bil and I just signed into this forum. After doing a search on Providence RI development, I happened upon the great discussions going on here. I'm currently living in New Orleans until this summer, then I am moving up north to RI.

So, thats me. Hi!

Last edited:

ludes98

Cyburbian
There are a couple of folks from New Orleans here. ;-) Welcome from the Valley of the Sun.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Welcome aboard from the inland northwest. :b: (Imagine that being a wine glass rather than a beer mug.)

ebeech121

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Welcome, from a GRITS relocated to Cali.

(Hey, is there such a thing as "California GRITS"??? 8-! )

Hi Bil!! Welcome from Georgia!

And if I can be a GHRITS (Girl Half-Raised In The South) then you can be a California GRITS. :-D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings, Bil from the north shore of the Ohio, 609 miles south of its birthplace. Where we illegally turn our clocks forward in just two weeks. What had you looking up a providence development?

ebeech121 said:
Hi Bil!! Welcome from Georgia!

And if I can be a GHRITS (Girl Half-Raised In The South) then you can be a California GRITS. :-D

I was born and raised in Georgia. No one ever thought I sounded Southern until I got to the West Coast. The longer I am here, the worse my Southern Drawl seems to get. :-D

Bil

Gedunker said:
What had you looking up a providence development?

Hobby (obsession?), no professional experience or aspirations. Actually, I am just about to get a degree in Cell and Molecular Biology!

Providence is the type of place which can make you interested in urban planning, just with the amazing changes I've seen in the past 10 years and the plans for the next 10.

I'm starting a weblog to document (and editorialize, of course) all the news and developments in RI, so I am trying to draw from every source possible.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hi Bil! Welcome from the southern lands of Chile... and from the biggest metropolis here.. where 40% of the population lives... (What is this centralism you speak of?) :)

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hello Bil and welcome, from a city experiencing and early summer( Its already touching 40 C out here).
Enjoy and enrich yourself in cyburbia.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Welcome and greetings from your current neck of the woods, the Big Easy! :-} I'm glad that you'll be here through the Jazz and Heritage Festival. :-D

Budgie

Cyburbian
Good to have you, Bil. Don't hesitate to post. You'll find your fellow Cyburbianites intelligent, well informed, passionate, witty and willing to help. Enjoy !!!!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome, Bil, from Chicago!

Seabishop (another cyburbia poster) should be able to give you some insight into what is happenning in Providence, RI. He's up there.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Welcome from (outside) Providence. It is an interesting place for urban development. I hope a lot of the plans in the works can actually be implemented. I'm getting impatient looking at all the dirt lots. I hope the corruption at city hall is a thing of the past. If you're starting a weblog about developments downtown than you probably know more about it than most people. It is always people from other areas who appreciate the city the most.

What school are you going to We could have all been molecular biologists but we decided to be planners instead. ;)

Bil

Seabishop said:
Welcome from (outside) Providence. It is an interesting place for urban development. I hope a lot of the plans in the works can actually be implemented. I'm getting impatient looking at all the dirt lots. I hope the corruption at city hall is a thing of the past. If you're starting a weblog about developments downtown than you probably know more about it than most people. It is always people from other areas who appreciate the city the most.

What school are you going to We could have all been molecular biologists but we decided to be planners instead. ;)

Good to see another RI'er here! I'm from Warwick, myself. I keep up on this stuff pretty closely, even from down in NO, where I go to school at Tulane.

I think things are looking up in Providence, especially at City Hall. The 90's money isn't flowing quite as freely as it used to, but we're headed in the right direction. You're right, though, generally people who live in the area their whole life are the ones who least appreciate the capital city's charms!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
From Warwick to New Orleans, quite a difference in . . . everything. And I thought we could all watch as you struggled through your first winter. ;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Welcome to Cyburbia from sw Michigan. Is it true locals say "N'awlins"?