• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hello from not so sunny Surrey

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

I answer also to Jo, Mouse and Jomouse and I'm doing an engineering doctorate in environmental technology at Surrey University in Guildford, Surrey, UK while being employed by Surrey County Coucil (SCC). My project for SCC is on the recycling and use of alternative materials in roads. Which isn't exactly that much to do with the Cycurbia, but I found the site while doing research and liked it so much that I have decided to stay...

If you want to know anything else it's on my web-site

Journeymouse

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome from not-so-sunny Wisconsin

Welcome Journeymouse! Check back requently - this is a fun group of planning geeks!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Journeymouse wrote:
Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.
Hello from sunny exuburban Orlando, Florida ... and welcome to the Cyburbia forums!

The other Cyburbanites are probably getting sick and tired of me saying "we need more folks on here from across the pond!" Glad to see ya' here! If things start to sound a bit too "North Americany" to you, I encourage you to jump in and make your British accent heard!

Your Web site reflects a good, dry sense of humo(u)r. Cyburbanites ... check it out!

As far as the use of recycled material and alternative materials for paving goes ... what's the final application? A residential street, or the M1? We can discuss this more in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Jo, your haikus are tremendous. very much enjoyed your site, especially since I'm also spotted out by people who haven't seen me since i was 8. (btw - i was carded for LOTTO TICKETS this week! what the hell?!?)

anyway, welcome to cyburbia.

anyone else noticing that we're getting more girls lately?

kelly

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
KMateja wrote:
anyone else noticing that we're getting more girls lately?
... and there's something wrong with that? ;)

We're going to have to behave ourselves now.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome! I enjoyed your web site as well.

Why not a discussion of recycled materials in roads? Or "green" roads in general? How many of us have some influence in their construction, beyond their location? Is anyone out there doing environmentally-friendly road design? New Urban streets? Traffic calming?

Locally, we have talked about using foundry sands from a brownfield as road base material. I would also like to try a green road (storm water management) in our business park.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Joanne,

Hope we haven't scared you off ... we're desperate to hear some English accents on here! With all this talk about zoning and other North Americany things around here, you might be experiencing some culture shock. Let's see if I can make you feel more at home ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yikes!

I just heard that the Queen Mum died. Thought she would have outlived me. :(

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Yikes!

Dan Tasman wrote:
I just heard that the Queen Mum died. Thought she would have outlived me. :(
I thought she was just trying to outlive the possibility of Charles being King...

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
KMateja wrote:
btw - i was carded for LOTTO TICKETS this week! what the hell
I keep getting asked if I'm old enough to buy alcohol (bearing in mind that the age limit is 18, so I've been legal for 4 years now). I've taken to carrying at least 2 forms of i.d. at any given time....

I've been legal for lotto for 8 years! crap that makes me feel old. fortunately, I'm never carded for alcohol when I'm with my husband. He looks a lot older than he is, so waitstaff rarely bothers to check our ID. My little sister, on the other hand, is 5 years younger, is often mistaken for my twin, and has had infalliable ID since she was 16. You know, the youngest children really are the blessed ones.

StGeorge

Greetings from not-so-sunny London, via sunny Philly

Another Brit on Cyburbia...who knew! And I thought I was the only one. Anyway, I am a 23 year old Londoner and I have been in the States for almost 5 years now. I came across on a soccer scholarship in 1997 and, to cut a long story short, I now find myself trying to rescue Delaware County, Pennsylvania from the ever expanding Philadelphia. Glad to hear good things on Cyburbia about the homeland ......it's an nice little place.

So, I just officially entered the "real world" on March 4th, 2002 when I got hired at the Delaware County Planning Department, so as I am new to the professional world of planning, I will be looking to you guys for some advice from time to time......and maybe now and then I will be able to offer some of my own pearls of wisdom

Until then, God Rest the Queen Mother (I'll always remember that time we met) and bring on Argentina...three lions on my chest...COME ON ENGLAND!!

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Re: Greetings from not-so-sunny London, via sunny Philly

StGeorge wrote:
Until then, God Rest the Queen Mother (I'll always remember that time we met) and bring on Argentina...three lions on my chest...COME ON ENGLAND!!
Hmm. OK, I live in England, but my family would kill me if I let that one slide... CYMRU AM BYTH! Other than that, nice to meet you.

StGeorge

Thanks, nice to meet you. My Welsh is a bit rusty, but i used to be a regular in the land of sheep (just kidding!) My uncle lives in Swansea and my sister went to the Swansea Institute.

Nice website by the way.