• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hello? Is anybody out there?

moose

Greetings and salutations!

Cyburbia is my home page, and I have been checking on the forums more and more frequently. Belle's message yesterday finally prompted me to get my butt in gear and sign up already.

I'm a planner by education, but right now I am working in demolition (waste coordination). I'm still pretty new to planning (graduated with my BS in 2000).

Thanks for letting me join you here at Cyburbia.

donk

Cyburbian
welcome.

so you are the one that gets to clean up after us?

Belle

Cyburbian
Aw, I feel honored to have inspired someone else to come forward.

Let me be the second to welcome you.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome. I always thought that a career in demolition would be veryrewarding work. How cool is that...A job where you're paid o knock stuff down.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Whats up Moosey.

We have to remember not to get you angry or we'll all come home to piles of rubble.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Wow, demolition... that's pretty unique for a planner type. And definitely the first one I've seen around here. Thanks for joining and adding to the diversity of our little cyber burg. :)

Edit: Oooooo... I just noticed your location! What a great spot... I used to love going to the Edgefield (my favorite haunted microbrewery!). Lucky duck!~

GeoTech

Cyburbian
Hi

Hey, I helped cap a landfill after bachelors and befroe graduate school. That stunk, literally. Good luck finding a job where you don't have to side step hyperdermic needles. But, there are always landmines anywhere you go in this field. Land use=emotion.

moose

Well...

I'm not the one swinging the wrecking ball, as SGB would like to believe (neither am I a "big feller" -- 5'6" and female). I'm totally new at this, and I am still learning, but I am the one who gets to keep track of all of the waste shipments that leave the site (hazardous and otherwise), and then make sure they get there, etc. Lots of stickers and paperwork. I have on my desk a typewriter and a form-feed printer to help with the carbonless copies -- I haven't seen a form-feed printer since I was 10, and I've never used a typewriter in my life.

But the demo culture is certainly interesting. Lots of stuff that you would _never_ get away with in an office environment.

PS nerudite: Imagine you're at Edgefield (I was there just last night!), and you're looking towards the Columbia River. Remember seeing a huge smelting plant that had a brige-like structure that read "REYNOLDS METALS"?? That's where I work. That's what we're demolishing.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Well...

moose said:
PS nerudite: Imagine you're at Edgefield (I was there just last night!), and you're looking towards the Columbia River. Remember seeing a huge smelting plant that had a brige-like structure that read "REYNOLDS METALS"?? That's where I work. That's what we're demolishing.
Sweet! The demolition will clean up the look of the site a lot... is it part of the SuperFund remediation, or is this a separate project? That site sure has had its lasting impacts on the ecosystem... so many damaged wetlands.

I'll toast your efforts the next time I'm at Edgefield. Hopefully that will be sometime this fall. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome, Moose,

I've had a hand in demo-ing a few properties as parts of redevelopment projects I've pu together - an 82,000 square foot foundry and a 100,000+ square foot dairy have been the biggest. Lately it has been a house and barns. The next one is an old garage. Now I'm getting depressed. I've gotta find something big to bring down.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Welcome

So you say your in "waste management", eh!

well, you'll fit right inhere with the rest of us who are "well wasters of time".

Seroiusly though, welcome aboard - just remember to clean your boots before you enter the front parlour!