• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hello Planner-Types!

Hello Planner-Types!

What a wonderful forum to banter back and forth with folks in the industry.

I'm an AICP City Planning consultant in the San Francisco Bay Area of California; otherwise known as the "Left Coast;" where they say that the women are pretty and so are the men. Sense of humor required.

Feel free to say hello, and start the conversation with:

1- what was the weirdest inquiry you received from the public this month (on the job inquiries only...!)
2- what is the fashion attire of your office?
3- are you looking for a job on the Left Coast?
4- Hey, I'm tired of California. I'd like to be in the Miami area, know anybody I can connect with? :D
Thanks.
Grace

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome Grace!

Dave and I work in a stuff shirt kinda office-totaly humorless and no casual days :-(

Again welcome aboard and dont let us scare ya, its a friendly strange sorta crowd.

D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome on board!
1) No injuries here.
2) Casual - khakis and short sleeve or golf shirt most days, tie if I have an important meeting, and shorts if I feel like I need to leave early.
3) Jobs on the west coast, eh....?
4) I know plenty of folks in Wisconsin, is that close enough to Miami?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to Cyburbai Grace. Glad to see you enjoy the humor here.

Hi Grace :)

1. I'm also a private consultant but my work with the public has been relatively minimal (to date), so no weird inquiries for me.

2. The office fashion attire is professional with casual Fridays.

3. Looking for jobs.....hmmm....not really, not yet at least ;).

4. No contacts in Miami, but what about New Orleans. It's just as susceptible to hurricanes as Miami :p.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome Grace!

It's nice to see that avatar being used by someone in Oakland. When I was living in No. Cal., unfortunately the Raiders were down in L.A.

1) The weirdest inquiry I received (well the two weirdest) can be seen in this thread. (Second post in the thread).

2) Professional to casual dress (depending on meetings that day). We do have casual fridays. The best is the flexible work schedule... 8 hours a day, with every other Friday off. Yay!

3) Nope... not looking to move to the left coast... that's where I'm from. Started in L.A. (born there), moved to Davis/Sacramento for school/planning career, then to Washington State, now here.

4) Sorry... no contacts in planning in Miami. There are a lot of people from Florida that frequent the board (including Dan, the administrator)...although I'm not sure how many from the Dade County area. Hang around and maybe you'll pick up some good contacts though.

Hope to see you around. :)

Last edited:
Welcome Grace! Always nice to have new people on the boards! Hope you enjoy.

1. It's been a pretty quiet week, but the full moon isn't until next week.
2. Dress depends on what's on the day's schedule, running between work casual and professional (sadly, no jeans or shorts though)
3. In the last 10 years I've had 7 zipcodes and more than twice that number of residences, so we're not looking to move any time soon.

boiker

Cyburbian
stuff and junk

1. they wanted to know if they could connect two seperate six foot fences together to create a much taller fence.. After all, it was just a 6 foot fence section.

2. winter - business.. tie, coller, shirt.. shoes.. etc...
summer - polo shirt/ khakis, and casual friday means jeans.

3. I'm looking for a job anywhere..(that pays well and allows me to live and pay off debts)

4. Miami...ehh.

boiker

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

3. In the last 10 years I've had 7 zipcodes and more than twice that number of residences, so we're not looking to move any time soon.
and i thought i was moving around alot in the last 5 years..

7 addresss changes in the last 5 years... only 3 zip codes though.