• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! hello there

Lizerbita

Hi all. I am a former community psych major that stumbled into urban planning accidentally and far too late in my college career. After a couple of years in Americorps, I've finally decided that it's time to bite the bullet and head back to grad school. I found this site through planetizen (where I waste far too much time that I should otherwise spend working). Anybody else here switch to planning after a completely different undergrad experience?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the Central Time Zone of Indiana.

Not quit the same path -
I took 8 years between
working in totally unrelated jobs from undergrad degree.
seasonal resort wage w/o benefits is a great motivator.

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome Lizerbita :)

My interest in urban planning was an indirect route too - my degree is in criminology and psychology, and through those subjects I became interested in Crime Prevention through Environmental Design, which then lead to a wider interest in planning. Plus I work as a researcher and have somehow ended up focusing on how to encourage people to walk more and use public transport. I'm now considering post-grad study in urban design.

I hope you enjoy Cyburbia. I know I do!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Lizerbita said:
Anybody else here switch to planning after a completely different undergrad experience?
-Hello and welcome aboard:b:

-Yes I've had that experience too. I was in computer animation until a 3 year hiatis, and then I went back to school for up.

-Nothing gets my blood pumping when I evict residents from historic buildings, only to knock them down and replace them with modern buildings at the taxpayers expense;)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome from the Midwest.

I hope you enjoy planning, you might be able to use you Psych. major in some heated public meeting to analyze the hot heads and talk them down.

Anyhow, I have always been into planning so no career path change here.

Welcome and enjoy the site.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the center of my universe!

My undergrad was History, which when you think about it, isn't much different from UP training. All land use decisiions should be made with an eye on the past and what worked or didn't work.

Plus, i was able to have Robert Fishamn teach my History of Urban Form class. Very cool, in a nerdy sort of way!

H

Cyburbian
Hello. I was also a psych major in undergrad. You might be surprised like I was and see that it actually might help you as a planner during public interaction. :-D

best of luck.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome. :)
I often wish I had a second degree in psychology to help me get through to all the nut-jobs I regularly have to deal with.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. I began in economics and finance, made the switch to public administration (city management) and didn't discover planning until my last semester as an undergrad. After spending most of the next two years with the Army, I returned to grad school for urban geography. There wasn't a single person in my class that had an undergraduate degree in geography, and half of us were studying what might be called a planning curriculum.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome from the Eastern Time Zone of Indiana!

I am another of the history majors as an undergrad with a minor in geography. Totally unemployable in the early 1980s when perosnal computers started landing on desks across the USA. The only question employers wanted to know then was "Can you work this little magic box we just purchased?" Then (as now, to a large extent) the answer was "no".

Finally, one hot and sweltering Jersey summer afternoon I decided that I'd had enough of carrying furniture out of houses and onto moving vans and got my @ss in gear to get my Masters in Historic Preservation, cognate in Planning.

I haven't regretted my decision and I mostly enjoy my job.

You'll find Cyburbia is a great professional resource ;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was originally interested in genetics, and started on the science path. Unfortunately all the pre-meds and pre-vets were in my courses as well, and it was too cut-throat for me (people sabotaging labs). I then took several archaeology courses and then settled into geography (my mom was a geography grad so it was second nature anyway). I fell into planning after taking a recreation planning course as an elective, and an internship offer was made to the students in the class from a local city. I was the only student dumb enough to hang out in Central California in the summer (110 degrees... ack!), so I got the internship and the $3000 stipend. And the rest is history...

I think you'll find many different undergrad degrees when you go to planning grad school, as planning incorporates so many facets of study: economics, engineering, behavioural sciences, anthropology, and the number of schools with a planning undergrad degree are fairly limited.

Good luck, and welcome to cyburbia! :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Welcome, eh?

Guess maybe I'm one of the few planners who actually did their undergrad in Urban Planning. Of course, I now work in a field dominated by engineers. Go figure.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hey Tranplanner
I did undergrad in Planning too. It was a comprehensive four year programme covering almost everything in planning.
From structural design, architecture,sociology, economics and urban management.
So i think i could be in your select club.

But i do think that if a person is able to understand the spatial and hte non spatila dynamics of humna settlements then its is actually useful to ahve people with varied backgroun into planning.
So lizerbita, your background can be reaaally useful. Of course as long as htey can be applied.
SO welcome again froma different point of view :)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Lizerbita said:
Anybody else here switch to planning after a completely different undergrad experience?
My undergrad is in Communications and Theater Arts, with an emphasis on broadcast communications. my first major was theater. I also did two years of full-time volunteer work after my undergrad before I went back for a Master's in planning. I was wandering along aimlessly one day, when the scales fell from my eyes and I saw clearly my destiny in urban planning. True story.

Welcome from the flatlands of Central Illinois!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Lizerbita said:
after a semester of archiTorture, i transferred out of a prestegious university to a state school and discovered planning. i've been hooked ever since.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Welcome! Another psychology undergrad. It came in handy in the social science stats classes, but otherwise its all forgotten - until I have to deal with the psychological problems of different family members. :)

Zenith

Cyburbian
Hello Lizerbita

Looking forward to reading your posts here on Cyburbia. I'm sure they will be a great 'read'.when psych. and urban planning are in the melt.

(...but please don't ask me to do Steve Irwin impersonations esp. with crocs & babies :( )

Truly, have a 'lucrative' and enjoyable time here. icon14.gif

Z..