• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hello to all from Bocian

bocian

Cyburbian
Hello everyone. I love this website! I just discovered it yesterday, there's a link to it on the University of Minnesota's website...
I'm 29, STILL in college, almost done with my Urban and Reginal Planning Degree.
But let me back up a little....
I was born and raised (while my drunk father raised hell and my mom counted and filed tanks for the army) in Poland (the country, it's in Central Europe - by the way, I still can't figure out why Europe is considered a continent - I KNOW it's important historically, ( and so is Greenland...) etc.. blah blah, but why? I'm sure some of the enlightened geographers will know..)., played a punk rock show at the commencement of my high school there - that's until the electricity was cut off by the Communist Party's city director, took one of the last planes operated by PANAM airline corporation to New York City right after I was accepted to the University of Warsaw School of Social Sciences... Of course, I declined their offer - but never actually dropped out of the university there - wow, that was 10 years ago, and I still HAVE not finished college. Well, there was nothing interesting to study, UNTIL (enter big drums here, the atmosphere and temperature of people's bodies rises up to 105 degrees, the beat continues, intensifies, you plug your ears, can't take it anymore, finally, there he is, HE ARRIVED! ... but wooden, and on the cross.... disappointment...) URBAN PLANNING came along.... Or maybe I was just desperate to get a degree in something other than business administration?
Lived in NYC, Boston, Chicago, and in the middle of the corn fields (oh, god, help me live through this!...). I am a vivid bicyclist and have travelled on my bicycle extensively, mostly in Europe (there goes that "continent" again) I hope to work in a transportation-related field of urban planning, pedestrian- and bicycle- friendly cities, that's what I'm into... walkable, compact neighborhoods.
OK, so how you all doing, city planners?
Well i thought I'd ask.. My mom called me up the other day, and said: "Planning? That's so not American...."
Keep it up!
And just in case a translator is needed.... I'm fluent in Polish, Russian, and can do OK in Latin (wow, that's some DEAD language, you say - well: well forked but I keep it alive...)

Thanks for reading this! Have a nice day!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. Another bicyclist? We are being overrun by these peddlers of clean transportation.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to Cyburbia. Glad to see you came to your senses and settled in the midwest. ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Welcome. Another bicyclist? We are being overrun by these peddlers of clean transportation.
Today Cyburbia.org ... tomorrow the world.

SGB

Cyburbian
Another midwestern cyclist? When will this takeover ever end?

Well, welcome anyway!

;)

donk

Cyburbian
welcome from another cyclist.

Have a good trip to NS. if you need any hints / contacts for good routes to ride let me know I know quite a few people there.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome to the forums... it's good to know that not everyone is scared to join without months of lurking. ;)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Welcome fellow cyclist!

Everyone in the Midwest should get together for some cycling action! Anyone do off-road biking?

Speaking of cycling....anyone know any good sunscreen that WORKS and that doesn't make you feel like a sticky mess when you're sweating while biking? Many of the sweat-proof sunscreens make me feel icky still...

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome! I can't claim to be the hard core racer that Donk or Mike D are, but I enjoy a good hard core recreational ride (God the view from the mountains above the Napa Valley was heaven Saturday, but I digress. . .)

Where in central Illinois? I lived in Peoria for a couple of years while laboring under the delusion that I could be an electrical engineer :) Actually was a pretty cool town for bicycling.

donk

Cyburbian
BKM posted
hard core racer that Donk
Thanks for the compliment, I'm retired from racing (my belt line shows it), racing was no fun. Now I just ride and know lots of racers and really enjoy watching good racing.

As for bikes and riding, I am starting to ride my road bike more then my mountain bike. I am on schedule to do about 4000 km this year on the road bike and about 1000 km on the mountain bike. Still love riding in the woods though, just getting bored of the trails around here.

My bikes are

1) 1996 Trek 2100 - carbon aluminum, mostly 105, add ons include serotta ti stem (wicked deal) and thomson seat post ( the best, strongest lightest seat post out there)

2) 1999 Dekerf Team SL. 853 steel. Mostly shimano XTR and really old syncros parts. (crank, BB, stem)

3) 1988 Brodi Climbmax. Steel. Semi custom old school bike, with rigid forks and an insanely long stem.

As for sunscreen, can't help as I usually don't wear it for the reasons mentioned, plus it tends to attract bugs and dirt.

Jeff

Cyburbian
If you need sunscreen you aren't riding enough....

Real cyclists ask important questions like "Which razors don't make the backs of your knees break out?"

Neosporin or Second Skin?

donk

Cyburbian
OT

That is the other way you know I am not a serious racer, I have not shaved my legs in about 10 years.

I do have the cyclist tan though, pasty white torso, laser cut tan lines on arms and legs, including sock lines and small circles on the back of my hands (not too noticable)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

I have not shaved my legs in about 10 years.
TMI! TMI!

Re: sunscreen. I've used a banana boat spray-on sunscreen which seems pretty good. It actually goes on clear - it isn't the usual white/creamy gunk.

donk

Cyburbian
What is worse, knowing that I don't shave my legs, or knowing that Mike D does?

BKM

Cyburbian
small circles on the back of my hands (not too noticable)
You know, I've lost those. I think its because, in addition to my cycling, I do these multi-hour "city hikes" in San Francisco and Berkeley with my dogs.

I know I should wear suntan lotion. I don't burn very easily, but I'm sure it will someday catch up with me.

I have one bicycle right now. I refinanced my house last year, and instead of investments in practical things, I bought a Specialized Festina (aluminum) bicycle that the local shop had in its window for a year or two. Awesome bike, but its really made for the 140 pound racer and its a little flexy on downhills. Another incentive to drop the gut!

Jeff

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I refinanced my house last year, and instead of investments in practical things, I bought a Specialized Festina
Funny....I'm taking out a home equity loan to get my new bike.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm right there with both of you.

My house is paid for next year, if i am still here I will probably remortage to buy some toys.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hello to Bocian.....

.....from guy who doesn't ride nearly enough (1981 Myata, great bike). Grandparents from Lodz, somewhere in Germany, Vilnius, and Balystock. Actually instrumental in founding of Balystock.

You should like this pack of somewhat irreverant posters. I have only been here a couple weeks and I believe that I have them all figured out.

Bear

Jeff

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
I have only been here a couple weeks and I believe that I have them all figured out.

...I'll bet you didn't know Chet was a girl?

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
If you need sunscreen you aren't riding enough....

Real cyclists ask important questions like "Which razors don't make the backs of your knees break out?"

WTF is that about? Mike, you're making unfair judgment calls. Please tell me you were being sarcastic.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Long term cyburbanites know Mike's a-holisms when we see them (and we appreciate them for what its worth). ;)

J-J, join us in our tolerance of Mike D, Prudence, and even... dare I say... Stumphie.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Now lets get back to what we all came here to talk about.....STRIPPERS!!!

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D posted:
Real cyclists ask important questions like
"Which razors don't make the backs of your knees break out?"

I thought that was pretty funny to. They are also important questions to ask.

Mike was also just living up to (or down to depends on your opinion) the typical image of the arrogant roady scum that he is.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Welcome to the flat lands. If you ever get tired of oh-so-wonderful Champaign, and want to check out a truly gritty city - Decatur - let me know. I'll show ya around.

PS I fully intend to build my recumbent this summer, if I can get the wife to release the funds.