• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hello

statler

Cyburbian
Hi all.

I have a confession to make. I don't work in urban planning/design field. I also didn't study it in collage. I won't bore you with what I actually do, I'll just say it a tediuos desk job that has nothing to do w/ U.D.
So why am I here?
Well my job moved me to the heart of downtown Boston (P.O. Sq. for those of you who may be familiar) and I have fallen in love with the city. I fascinated with how it was deloveloped and how it continues to change. I hope to be taking night classes in Urban Affairs at B.U. in the fall. Maybe some day I'll break away from my comphy (but dull) desk job and try to break into the field. In the mean time I'll probably be hanging around here asking A LOT of questions.

Most of my city experience is centered around Boston. Unfortunatly I've never traveled much. I never had the interest when I was younger and now it seems I never have the time or money. I have been to San Fran, Phonix, LA, Memphis, Nashville and San Diago. But mostly I only had a few day in each city and stuck to the tourist traps. I also have been lucky enough to have spent a week in Prauge. Unfortunatly it's the only European city I've been to.
Um, I think I've prattled on enough.
I look forward to talk to y'all on the boards.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
true confessions

no need to be pedegreed in city geekery to be a member here!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: true confessions

bturk said:
no need to be pedegreed in city geekery to be a member here!
How right you are, bturk!

*cough* pedigreed *cough* ;)

Welcome aboard, Stat...

dmvallie

Cyburbian
Boston has always been my favorite city, too. Have you ridden the swan boats in Boston Commons?

statler

Cyburbian
dmvallie

Glad to hear you like Boston. Do you make up here often?

To answer your question, yes I have ridden the Swan Boats, but only once. I'd much rather stand on the bridge and watch them. :)

As a point of intrest I should mention Bostonians can be very fussy about thier city. I don't care so much, but it just a 'thing' here that there is a proper distinction between Boston Common and The Public Garden. The Swan boats are technically in the Public Garden. Also note there is no 's' after Common or Garden. Just some weird local customs.

oh and thanks to bturk and Mastiff

Boston is considered my second home as I have relatives up there - Dorchester to be exact. Wouldn't be caught dead up there in the winter, but late spring/early summer is cool. :)

statler

Cyburbian
Planderella

Dot, huh? That's cool, what part? (Or as the old timers would say, what parish?)

I'm not really sure what "part" but I do remember that the nearest train stop is Field's Corner. My cousins live on Westville Street.